Old coffee cards

cruiselvr1

As we get ready for our cruise tomorrow, I was grabbing our old non-used cards. My DW told me she read in CC, that Princess has changed their system, and are no longer allowing the use of coffee cards with punches left. In the past you were allowed regular coffee using your leftover punches.

It's really no change to policy. They have new cards but the old ones work the same as they always have. If it's "new and unpunched" card without a previous voyage marked on the back it's good for fresh brewed or foo foo coffee and the foo foo coffee will get a punch. If it's been punched on a previous voyage or has a previous voyage stamped on it then it's good for fresh brewed or foo foo coffee BUT it will be punched for either.

It's really no change to policy. They have new cards but the old ones work the same as they always have. If it's "new and unpunched" card without a previous voyage marked on the back it's good for fresh brewed or foo foo coffee and the foo foo coffee will get a punch. If it's been punched on a previous voyage or has a previous voyage stamped on it then it's good for fresh brewed or foo foo coffee BUT it will be punched for either.

I wish this were the case, and it should be. But on our Regal transatlantic in September, and apparently some other recent cruises mentioned here, a "virgin" old-style card was punched even for brewed coffee that should be unlimited.

So I think that is a change in policy. Many of these cards were given in exchange for Elite or suite mini-bar setups and should be honored at full value.

Jim

I was on the Crown in April was given two "old style" coffee cards in exchange for the mini bar. When I went to order regular coffee I was told by the barista that it was an old card that I had gotten on a previous cruise. No, I said, I had just gotten it from room service. Sort of ticked me off.

Does anyone know if the Crown is giving the "new" ones out in exchange for the mini bar? Will be back in a month & don't want the hassle again.

I was on the Crown in April was given two "old style" coffee cards in exchange for the mini bar. When I went to order regular coffee I was told by the barista that it was an old card that I had gotten on a previous cruise. No, I said, I had just gotten it from room service. Sort of ticked me off.

Does anyone know if the Crown is giving the "new" ones out in exchange for the mini bar? Will be back in a month & don't want the hassle again.

This is one of problems with Princess, not everyone is on the same page. It changes from ship to ship.

On September 25 cruise, room service was giving the new version coffee card (2 of them) on the trade of the elite mini bar.

You should have demanded to see his supervisor & straightened it out right there & then.

You should have demanded to see his supervisor & straightened it out right there & then.

That is what my DW and I said, I have never complained to Princess about any employee, except on our last cruise. I was having so much trouble with barista on the Grand, that I needed to. What was interesting, was I was doing a "live from" and a another passenger was reading it and commented that he knew who I was talking about.

That is what my DW and I said, I have never complained to Princess about any employee, except on our last cruise. I was having so much trouble with barista on the Grand, that I needed to. What was interesting, was I was doing a "live from" and a another passenger was reading it and commented that he knew who I was talking about.

Did the back of the cards you received on that cruise indicate that ship & cruise sailing or were they just blank?

On September 25 cruise, room service was giving the new version coffee card (2 of them) on the trade of the elite mini bar.

Great, thanks.

After I was given a hard time (did get regular coffee without a punch) I went to the front desk & asked for new style cards since I was given a hard time. They called down to the coffee bar & I didn't have any more trouble.

Great, thanks.

After I was given a hard time (did get regular coffee without a punch) I went to the front desk & asked for new style cards since I was given a hard time. They called down to the coffee bar & I didn't have any more trouble.

It sounds like he was a new crew member on board or in that position and nothing more.

I wish this were the case, and it should be. But on our Regal transatlantic in September, and apparently some other recent cruises mentioned here, a "virgin" old-style card was punched even for brewed coffee that should be unlimited.

So I think that is a change in policy. Many of these cards were given in exchange for Elite or suite mini-bar setups and should be honored at full value.

Jim

Yeah ..The only ships I've ever had problem with Barista are the Regal and Royal.. For some reason, maybe because of the expanded coffee areas they're almost fanatical on checking the backs coffee cards for date and ships, and at least in my experience some have REALLY negative attitudes when dealing with card holders.

By comparison, was just off the Crown 3 weeks ago, and was met with smiling faces and happy attitudes with every Barista & coffee card encounter

Different strokes for different ships

Srpilo

Edited by srpilo

I have one or two unused coffee cards in the old style. They aren't punched and have no voyage info on the back. I won't need them on my next couple of booked cruises as I booked under the Sip n Sail promo but, when I do take another cruise and want to use them I won't be taking "no" for an answer. If they want to write the voyage on the back I have no issue with that but the cards should be honored.

Can you explain a bit more about how this would work? If you board a ship on a Saturday with a virgin card with no voyage information on the back, then it would be treated as a new card entitling you to free brewed coffee with punches made for specialty drinks. So far that makes sense. So on Saturday you get a cappuccino and they punch the card. Then on Sunday you return to the cafe for a cup of fresh brewed coffee and you present your card (which has a punch taken out of it). Wouldn't the Barista see the punch, assume it is an old card, and want to punch it for the cup of coffee? You can only present a virgin card once (unless you never get a specialty drink). After that first punch, won't the Barista treat it as an old, partially used card?

Can you explain a bit more about how this would work? If you board a ship on a Saturday with a virgin card with no voyage information on the back, then it would be treated as a new card entitling you to free brewed coffee with punches made for specialty drinks. So far that makes sense. So on Saturday you get a cappuccino and they punch the card. Then on Sunday you return to the cafe for a cup of fresh brewed coffee and you present your card (which has a punch taken out of it). Wouldn't the Barista see the punch, assume it is an old card, and want to punch it for the cup of coffee? You can only present a virgin card once (unless you never get a specialty drink). After that first punch, won't the Barista treat it as an old, partially used card?

On presenting the card the first time, if the barista is doing his/her job properly, they would then write your voyage info on the back of the card. The card would then be good for fresh-brewed coffee for the rest of the voyage. I have also found that, on every Princess cruise I have taken, the people at IC knew me after the first visit. They never asked to see my card as they already had me in their memory as someone who had a card. I find the staff to be nothing short of amazing.

Edited by Thrak

On presenting the card the first time, if the barista is doing his/her job properly, they would then write your voyage info on the back of the card. The card would then be good for fresh-brewed coffee for the rest of the voyage. I have also found that, on every Princess cruise I have taken, the people at IC knew me after the first visit. They never asked to see my card as they already had me in their memory as someone who had a card. I find the staff to be nothing short of amazing.

I also experience this whenever I order from the waitstaff, who are not strict as the barista.

Makes sense. I guess the fly in the ointment is the inconsistency of the "doing their job" part. I have usually run through my cards without anyone ever writing anything on the back. They usually never flip it over. I have an unused, unstamped card that I am going to take with me next month. I guess I will insist that they mark the back on the first day. Or...does anyone know if I can turn this card in (unused) and ask that it be exchanged for a current version? Would it be best to do that at the Passenger Service Desk, a table where they are selling beverage packages on departure day, or by asking a Barista behind the counter of the IC?