Princess reps say don't book guarantee cabins

coconut cruiser

You could become a PITA (pain in the arse) to your TA. Depends how many times you call and what you call for. Of course those in customer service will always act graciously and polite to the consumer. It's what goes on behind the scenes you need to think about. :eek: ;)

I worked customer service, all positions from the bottom to the top, trust me, I KNOW what goes on behind closed doors (or telephones). So when I have to call about something, I gain the agents trust that the service I require, is for my benefit.

We are scheduled to sail on Regal this week and still do not have our cabin assignment because we booked a guarantee balcony cabin. We have called and talked to more than one Princess rep and they all give conflicting information. The one thing they all say is that passengers should NEVER book guarentee cabins. Did you realize that if you pick the "let us choose" option when looking at cabin options it is a guarentee cabin. It is like flying on standby.

I know you from our roll call...we are on the same cruise and I bet you'll end up with a better cabin than me. ;) Don't forget there's several posters on that thread who have not received their assignments either and they are not worried.

Don't worry! I'm on the same cruise and they switched my room just yesterday - within minutes my new room assignment was shown on the cruise personalizer page boarding passes & luggage tags with new room number were ready to be printed! They definitely overbooked this cruise (and are still scrambling to change rooms around it seems)

I know you from our roll call...we are on the same cruise and I bet you'll end up with a better cabin than me. ;) Don't forget there's several posters on that thread who have not received their assignments either and they are not worried.

Interesting. OP, have you heard anything yet?

I've booked us numerous guarantees. Sometimes we get lucky and get a great upgrade, sometimes we get exactly what we paid for. The latest we've ever received our cabin assignment is two days before a cruise. Twice we've already left home before finding out through the Cruise Personalizer. Once we had started on the land portion of our cruise tour before finding out, fortunately in time to send some luggage to the ship from Fairbanks instead of having it following us from lodge to lodge for the whole land portion of our cruise tour.

and for those who may get entertained by these kinds of nutty threads here is the one from the X board...it may be the craziest ever on CC...:p

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2414157

That was a humorous thread for me but sad for the OP. She felt obligated to answer every post and still seems put out.

To the OP, if you return here, I once left the west coast for a cruise out of NY(Brooklyn) with a guarantee only. Picked up my room assignment with a message from my TA while waiting to change planes at Ohare. They always find you a room so stay cool.

That is not what princess is telling us. They said if we wanted to be sure to have a cabin, don't book "let us pick". Currently unpacking and trying to make other plans.

When you pick a guarantee cabin, you are guaranteed to have a cabin. hat is why they call it a guarantee. You have no control over where it is located. You might even get upgraded to another cabin class. You also might not know where it is until you get to the pier. If either of those are important to you than don't book a guarantee.

The Princess Reps may have been saying that if waiting until the last minute to get a room assignment is not for you then don't book a guarantee. They also probably said that you do not currently have a room assigned. Which is a correct statement. However, that is not the same as saying that you will not have a room assigned for the cruise.

Others on this thread pointed out that other posters on the roll call were also still waiting but, something like 24 hours ago, they all reported that the had been assigned cabins, mostly with upgrades.

The OP has logged onto the site at least twice in the last couple of days, but has not come back to say how it all turned out so I rather suspect that this is all sorted and I'm sure we all understand why we have not been told.

We were all newbies once and I can still remember some of the basic questions I asked when I first started cruising. I also suspect it was perhaps very easy to misunderstand the message from the Princess agent.

Personally I think that the original phraseology used by the Princess agent may have been lazy and they actually meant to say 'if you want a (specific) cabin' meaning if you want to know your cabin at the time of booking, 'never book a guarantee'.

Hopefully the OP had an upgrade, really enjoys the cruise and on reflection is now amused to have ever thought that Princess had them on 'standby'.

To the OP can I say, don't be embarrassed at your misunderstanding. We all learn something new every day of our lives and there is no such thing as a silly question. You were right to ask on this forum, which exists in part to answer questions like yours and hopefully you were comforted by the answers.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

I will just go back to the OP. Less then 2 weeks ago we booked a guarantee cabin on the Regal Princess (and were assigned an upgraded cabin 3 days after booking). So yes, Princess does routinely do upgrades. However, keep in mind that we avoid booking directly with any cruise line (we avoid cruise line reps like the plague) and use 1 of our 4 favorite major cruise agencies.

Hank

Others on this thread pointed out that other posters on the roll call were also still waiting but, something like 24 hours ago, they all reported that the had been assigned cabins, mostly with upgrades.

The OP has logged onto the site at least twice in the last couple of days, but has not come back to say how it all turned out so I rather suspect that this is all sorted and I'm sure we all understand why we have not been told.

We were all newbies once and I can still remember some of the basic questions I asked when I first started cruising. I also suspect it was perhaps very easy to misunderstand the message from the Princess agent.

Personally I think that the original phraseology used by the Princess agent may have been lazy and they actually meant to say 'if you want a (specific) cabin' meaning if you want to know your cabin at the time of booking, 'never book a guarantee'.

Hopefully the OP had an upgrade, really enjoys the cruise and on reflection is now amused to have ever thought that Princess had them on 'standby'.

To the OP can I say, don't be embarrassed at your misunderstanding. We all learn something new every day of our lives and there is no such thing as a silly question. You were right to ask on this forum, which exists in part to answer questions like yours and hopefully you were comforted by the answers.

Enjoy your cruise.

YES! And that is why we all responded so feverishly, to make sure no drastic wrong actions were taken! I hope OP has a wonderful trip!

• 2 years later...

I don't think that the OP "misunderstood".  Sales people are sales people, I don't care if they are a Princess "PVP",  an international gold broker, or a vacuum cleaner seller,  they will tell you that you can have what you want.  What they "fail" to mention in the promise is: "FOR A PRICE".  I was a "worker bee", and I bore the brunt of this story about Sales People all the time.