Alaska Family Veranda or Balcony?

MAPCruises

So - i decided a couple days ago that we should go to Alaska next year. Started trying to find and AFT room and there are NONE available. Guess I should have tried earlier. Then on a call to Celebrity Room 7202 on the Millennium from Vancouver to Seward cruise came open. So I immediately put a hold on it because that is the only aft i could find. Now my question we are a family of 4 2 adults, 2 kids (11 / 7). The FV is $8,100 (all in) I can book a mid ship balcony on NCL Sun for $5,700 (all In). The FV room is about 2 x the size of the NCL room and the FV balcony is unbelievable. BUT is it worth $2,400 more? I am on the fence. If I only do this with my kids one time in my life will they see enough from a standard balcony? or should we just say to heck with it and keep the FV?

Only you can decide if it is "worth it", as that is a personal opinion. Plus, I doubt anybody has been in both rooms, so no way to compare.

As standard cabins are generally pretty small, and then putting 4 in them makes them smaller, the possibility of greater space is very attractive. Does the FV have 1.5 or 2 baths? That would be a major plus.

There is no secret to seeing things in Alaska- or elsewhere. Get on a high open deck. Alaska scenery is "big picture" (you don't have to be in one magic spot), and it is all around you.

Edited by CruiserBruce

No the FV just has (1) bathroom. I am asking more about the views in Alaska. We have cruised the Caribbean several times on several lines (including Celebrity and NCL). And the standard balcony rooms are all similar. I would not pay an up charge for a room just for the the view in the Caribbean. But Alaska seems to be a location where the scenery is closer to the boat and a better location may be worth it? I am just a "deal searching" person and the added money has me second guessing.

I find the views on open decks more desirable than a balcony. I wouldn't place a lot of your decision based on aft vs side balcony. I have sailed to Alaska in everything from an inside to a suite.

While aft balconies are huge, a lot of naturalists when they are talking about viewings of bears or whales are doing this from the Bridge, facing the opposite direction. So an open deck would be more beneficial to be able to move from side to side and forward. I also hang out on promenade decks quite a bit (even when I have a balcony). Just being able to move around increases the chances of wildlife sightings.

Edited by Coral

I've never been on an Alaskan cruise, but I am a lifelong Alaskan... I was thinking about what I would do if I was on a cruise here and I guess you'd probably be better off spending that money on excursions if your goal is to see wildlife. I'm not sure if you would see very much wildlife from 7 decks up. Then on the other hand it will be light outside basically 24hrs a day and you might find that you like spending extra time out there, compared to the Caribbean where you wouldn't use it much after sunset. The other thing I thought about is the weather... It might be nice if it's raining to be sheltered on your own balcony and still able to fully enjoy the views instead of fighting for a spot up top. So I guess my advice is if you're mostly going to be in port than save the money for awesome shore excursions, if you spend a lot of time just cruising maybe spring for the nicer balcony.

if you're going to spend extra time in Alaska before or afterwards you'll probably be docked in Seward and that area is just spectacular, would make it a point to take a kayak trip in resurrection bay. Id also recommend a stay in cooper landing so you can visit Kenai lake too, the color of the lake is amazing (see pics below).4bf50eb13b07074dad7bbd86738c924e.jpgcae6720e4901d46d03a6027b6171a63d.jpg

I know you'll have an amazing time either way!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Aft balconies are superb for expansive views, but poor for wildlife- which you always want to track from ahead, not as it's fading.

Obviously you must not be all that "ok" with spending the money, since you are posting this question? Nobody can decide but you. Is it going to make any difference in your decision if you get stronger worded "advice" to go either way?

I never pay more than the minimum rates, my style of travel, that I know works for my preferences. I get slammed all the time, that a "balcony" is so much better, and poor me, because I can't afford it (pretty much always attributed to that issue- with the naive thinking). I can absolutely assure you, my trips are fantastic, and I see way more than the average cruiser. :) That is me. You'll need to find your own way, and what you want out of your trip. But- forget that "once in a lifetime" thinking- :) :) :) my first trip was planned like that- in 1994- now it't over 50 trips later.

Have a great time. Look at your entire trip. Select all your touring plans and if budget is a concern look at total costs, and find the right mix for your group.

Just want to chime in here with my own 2cents.

We were in a balcony cabin on the Norwegian Jewel with ONE ten year old last spring break, and it was tight. It may be better with the 2 lower beds apart, but when the 3rd berth was out the only floor space left to change clothes with literally in the bathroom. I can't imagine that rom with 4 occupants.

We are booked on the Star Princess in June in 2 inside cabins next to each other for myself, my husband and 2 kids 12 and 15 years old. I figure we will go out on deck for viewing and enjoy the darkness at bedtime instead of dealing with midnight sun issues!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Alaska is not the Caribbean. Not sunny warm days. Viewing times are when the ship is moving, and breeze may make it too cool to linger unless bundled up. And other than suites and FV balconies, there are only two chairs - for four people. I have done Alaska twice, total of four weeks, all in inside cabins. I don't feel I missed anything. EM

Complete personal preference here... My only comment is that yes, far more to see from the ship in Alaska than Caribbean and for more hours in the day. We always get balconies, and our balcony in Alaska was wonderful. Relaxing on our private balcony with island/ mainland / eagles in view was great. This may be a small point, but I thought looking straight down from our balcony and seeing the pieces of glacier ice floating was really cool (pun!). Not sure you can look down from most aft balconies.

Thanks for all the comments. We have decided to keep our corner aft balcony. you only live once. And now my mom and dad and sister and her husband are coming along. So booked 2 inside cabins for them on the same floor. Now Planning excursions, car rentals, and hotel rooms.

getting super excited. cant wait!!

Now my question we are a family of 4 2 adults' date=' 2 kids (11 / 7). The FV is $8,100 (all in) I can book a mid ship balcony on NCL Sun for $5,700 (all In). [/quote']

Not for me, the 2 of us plan on spending $2,000 on excursions, so we are staying in an inside. The best views are on the open deck where you get 360 views.

If I was working from your choices, I would do the NCL - if they were going to Glacier Bay - Celebrity doesn't so they are not even in my realm of possibility - especially at the prices that you are quoting. (We are on a 14-night cruise for $2,199 each including beverage package.)

Not for me, the 2 of us plan on spending $2,000 on excursions, so we are staying in an inside. The best views are on the open deck where you get 360 views.

If I was working from your choices, I would do the NCL - if they were going to Glacier Bay - Celebrity doesn't so they are not even in my realm of possibility - especially at the prices that you are quoting. (We are on a 14-night cruise for $2,199 each including beverage package.)

You must be going earlier in the season. We could have gotten the cruise a lot cheaper in May / June or September. But with school age kids we are unfortunately limited to the most expensive times in July / August. If we did not have the kids to consider we would go in May or Sept and like you quoted above we could get much cheaper. My sister and mom have inside cabins on same cruise and they were less than $1,000 per person (no drink package :-() But they don't drink so they don't care about the package anyway.

As a consolation because I hear nothing but rave reviews on Glacier Bay - I think we are doing a 2.5 Hr Flight tour of it. Still working on excursions.

You must be going earlier in the season. We could have gotten the cruise a lot cheaper in May / June or September. But with school age kids we are unfortunately limited to the most expensive times in July / August. If we did not have the kids to consider we would go in May or Sept and like you quoted above we could get much cheaper. My sister and mom have inside cabins on same cruise and they were less than $1' date='000 per person (no drink package :-() But they don't drink so they don't care about the package anyway.

As a consolation because I hear nothing but rave reviews on Glacier Bay - I think we are doing a 2.5 Hr Flight tour of it. Still working on excursions.[/quote']

Oh no, our cruise is July 17 - mid-season, we want to see salmon spawning & bears & I will be travelling with my 8 year old.