Not Enough Plugs on the Ship

I don't know if this is the correct board for this but here it goes.

As we all know there is not enough plugs in the cabins. I was looking into getting a travel power strip that has multi type of plugs for international use as well as US. However, the ones I find are not compatible with a curling irons (something to do with voltage. I assume most hotels around the world have a hair dryer so don't have to worry about that one). Any recommendations?

I don't know if this is the correct board for this but here it goes.

As we all know there is not enough plugs in the cabins. I was looking into getting a travel power strip that has multi type of plugs for international use as well as US. However, the ones I find are not compatible with a curling irons (something to do with voltage. I assume most hotels around the world have a hair dryer so don't have to worry about that one). Any recommendations?

Any power bar that doesn't have surge suppression will be allowed on board.

I would get adapters for non American outlets instead of a combined type.

Many hotels have hair dryer that work with the voltage of the country the hotel is in.

Edited by Kamloops50

I can't speak about the problem on a cruise ship regarding a curling iron but I have a story. When I arrived in Germany ( husband in military) my DH said I bought u a new curling iron and hair dryer. I'm like what? Why? He told me my 110 voltage won't work in Europe. I told him he was crazy. I have this adapter thingy...well I got it all plugged in and wouldn't you know, the dang thing melted!!! You cant simply convert the plug type. I either needed a dual voltage curling iron that could be switched from 110 to 220 or an actual converter box. The one he bought me could be switched!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I think the following would work (https://www.amazon.com/All-Power-Chargers-Charging-Station/dp/B01AMAFEIU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8) and I would not need a converter because my curling iron is 110/220V.

The one you link to includes a surge protector. It likely would NOT be allowed. Surge protectors cause problems; I am not an expert but it has been discussed extensively in other posts.

I can't speak about the problem on a cruise ship regarding a curling iron but I have a story. When I arrived in Germany ( husband in military) my DH said I bought u a new curling iron and hair dryer. I'm like what? Why? He told me my 110 voltage won't work in Europe. I told him he was crazy. I have this adapter thingy...well I got it all plugged in and wouldn't you know, the dang thing melted!!! You cant simply convert the plug type. I either needed a dual voltage curling iron that could be switched from 110 to 220 or an actual converter box. The one he bought me could be switched!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

DHnDWplus2, I'm sorry that your curling iron melted, but what a sweetie your DH is!!! You got a good one.

:):)

He told me my 110 voltage won't work in Europe. I told him he was crazy. I have this adapter thingy...well I got it all plugged in and wouldn't you know, the dang thing melted!!! You cant simply convert the plug type.

Good example showing the difference between the currency/voltage and electrical prong style!

Many are well aware of this but people often ask, so here is hopefully an explanation that can help clear up the issue for those who aren't sure but are afraid to voice their confusion:

When you travel to many foreign countries and want to use your American electrical appliances, you have 2 potential issues to contend with.

The first is the voltage that the item is designed to work with, and the fact that countries electrical systems are different. Here in the US our power comes through the outlet is 110 volts. In many other countries it is 220. Electrical items sold here are designed to work with 110, just like items sold in Europe are designed to work with 220. If you mix them up, you will likely end up with destroying your item or worse. You can solve this issue by using a power converter. You plug the converter into the outlet and then plug your item into the converter, and it converts the electrical current from 110 to 220 volts or vice versa so you can use your items with it.

The other issue is getting your items' plug to fit into the actual electrical outlet. This has nothing to do with voltage and is simply about the style of the outlet. Plugs may have, and outlets may be designed for, 2 oblong prongs or 3 prongs, or 2 round prongs etc. To make the adjustment here you need an electrical adapter. Ex. In many European countries the outlet is 2 round holes so you need a plug with 2 round prongs. American items have 2 oblong prongs, so you use an adapter than has 2 round prongs to fit into the outlet, and which then has 2 oblong slots to plug your item into.

So, generally speaking, you need both a power converter AND an electrical adapter to use your American items in many other countries. But, there are a couple of exceptions:

1. It's possible to purchase an all-in-one converter/adapter that will perform both functions. It will convert the voltage and it has different plugs and plug slots so you can fit round pegs into square holes and such.

2. You can purchase a dual-voltage appliance. For things like hair dryers, there will usually be a switch that you toggle to either 110 or 220 depending on where you are using it. In this case, you only need an electrical adapter, because it will still just have the 2 oblong prongs that will not fit into a European outlet.

Similarly, many electronic devices these days have dual voltage capacity built in. You don't even need to toggle a switch or adjust a setting; they are designed to work just fine with either 110 or 220. This includes iphones, ipads and Apple laptops, and probably most other phones/tablets. Check with your manufacturer if you aren't sure. Many (most?) digital cameras are the same, but again, check with your manufacturer to be sure. As with a dual voltage hair dryer or curling iron, you still need an electrical adapter so your item can fit into the plug in whatever country you're in.

If you don't often travel internationally, it may be cheaper or easier to buy an adapter specifically for the country you plan to visit. But if your travels are more widespread, you can purchase adapters that have different styles of prongs and prong receptors, either in a 5 or 6 piece set, or in an all-in-one device that you twist to make the different prongs stick out or retract.

I know that's a long winded explanation of the differences but I've seen the question come up repeatedly both in forums like this and among my own friends, so I hope it helps someone out there! :)

Two suggestions

First, spend a little extra and be sure you get a good adapter/converter. In Barcelona, I was charging my phone and at around 5:30 a.m. there was a loud pop and a flash. My inexpensive converter/adapter blew up and in the process we knocked out power to a large portion of the hotel. The phone was okay - the charger was fried. Lesson learned. We were also very happy we always travel with small flashlights so we could make our way to the front desk to report it.

Second. if you need outlets to charge electronics, consider one of those strips or boxes that has multiple USB ports. With one outlet, we could charge 4 items at once which was great on our last cruise.

• 5 weeks later...

Most if not all of Belkin products will have surge protector because they are intended for computers and similar electronics. (1) Surge protection is not necessary on the ship, even for computers, because there can't be surges! (2) surge protectors can cause fires IN THE WALLS or back at the ?generator? so unplugging when you're out of the room etc does not protect the you OR the rest of the people on the ship. That is why they confiscate them. and why you should not pat yourself on the back for "slipping one by".

If you don't need a three-pole outlet, just take a "lamp-cord" extension that has 3 to 5 2-prong outlets on it. If you need a three-pole "grounded" outlet, you might be able to find this one on eBay:

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=pd_sim_107_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V89XJ1YX21VBW0PDVEY3

It's discontinued! I have it and it's compact but heavy. If you don't need the grounding (round) plug, just get a triple outlet extension from Target or similar:

http://www.target.com/p/-/A-12890099

Most if not all of Belkin products will have surge protector because they are intended for computers and similar electronics. (1) Surge protection is not necessary on the ship, even for computers, because there can't be surges! (2) surge protectors can cause fires IN THE WALLS or back at the ?generator? so unplugging when you're out of the room etc does not protect the you OR the rest of the people on the ship. That is why they confiscate them. and why you should not pat yourself on the back for "slipping one by".

If you don't need a three-pole outlet, just take a "lamp-cord" extension that has 3 to 5 2-prong outlets on it. If you need a three-pole "grounded" outlet, you might be able to find this one on eBay:

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=pd_sim_107_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V89XJ1YX21VBW0PDVEY3

It's discontinued! I have it and it's compact but heavy. If you don't need the grounding (round) plug, just get a triple outlet extension from Target or similar:

http://www.target.com/p/-/A-12890099

I've had a Monster To Go 4 since it came out years ago. I wouldn't call it heavy, though. It's gone anywhere in the world I've gone - just need to add an adapter plug to it. Since mine is older, it doesn't have the USB port. I also have a 3+1USB "Voltage Valet" that I bought online from Magellan's awhile back. I use that one in my bedroom at home as a compact way to have my clockradio + cordless phone + my iPod plugged in together.