Boring dress code question

ConnCruise

Do you not like the robes HAL provides? I'm happy to use theirs. More room in the luggage for my gala night clothes. :D

It's been my experience that the HAL robes only coming in sizes Small, X-Small, and XX-Small. We bring our own and our robes are our Gala Night clothes so there is no problem packing even in two small roller carry on's.

We rarely visit the MDR. One of the things we really enjoyed on HAL is the ability to order room service from the MDR menu. On our next cruise, we won't be visiting the MDR. If there is someone on the MDR menu we want, we will use room service. If not, we go to a specialty restaurant or the Lido.

Edited by RocketMan275

Wife and I will be ordering room service to celebrate Gala Nights on our aft wrap balcony. The dress code will be strictly enforced, ie, bathrobes.

Well, OK. But don't you dare wear that bathrobe to the pool or any place out side of your cabin, lest you be reported by the robe-police and put off the ship at the next port of call !:rolleyes:

Well, OK. But don't you dare wear that bathrobe to the pool or any place out side of your cabin, lest you be reported by the robe-police and put off the ship at the next port of call !:rolleyes:

So, wearing the robe to breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill would be out of the question?

It's been my experience that the HAL robes only coming in sizes Small, X-Small, and XX-Small.

We don't usually use the robes, but a few years ago, we tried them on and they were too small. I asked our steward about it, and he supplied us with some really large ones. They fit me and I am 6 feet tall and 250 lbs.

We don't usually use the robes, but a few years ago, we tried them on and they were too small. I asked our steward about it, and he supplied us with some really large ones. They fit me and I am 6 feet tall and 250 lbs.

Tom, it never would have occurred to me to ask. Thank you! I like a great big robe that swallows me, and now I know to ask for it..

I've heard that to be the case but I've found that sometimes they are available and sometimes not. Much easier to just put a robe in the bag. The ones we take do not take up much room.

We each take one small airline carry on roller bag and we have room left over in the bags including the robes. We will bring nice outfits appropriate for specialty dining. But mostly very casual items. We don't need bathing suits. We'll bring a pair of shoes and wear a pair.

We also bring one backpack to carry five or six bottles of wine. A couple of bungie cords strap the backpack to the extendable handle of the roller bag and the entire package can be handled with one hand.

We drive to the port so space/luggage fees aren't a problem. Our time in the military taught us that if you don't pack it, you don't have to carry it. With planning it works. At least for the Caribbean. Other cruise destinations might require more luggage.

Edited by RocketMan275

Hmmm. Looks like DH is going to win out for our next cruise, no tux this time. Darn! I love how great a tux looks on him, and after all, he owns one for the sole purpose of cruising. Too bad, but that's the way it goes. Won't diminish my enjoyment one bit, but if there are a lot of tuxes I will be a little sorry!

Hi

I am not the most experienced person..I.e. No Caribbean experience but I must say that I have rarely seen jeans on a cruise ship except the Australians on the final Ryndam voyage last Fall.

Yes, the one time I watched and counted, because I love my jeans, there were about five men in jeans.

Gala, rarely are there jacket less men. Mostly Blazers rather than suits. But of course bless their hearts: still handsome, distinguished men in tux with a nicely dressed lady on their arms. I'm so glad that some still make the effort, personally.

We always travel really light. I bring one pair of black slacks and one skirt. Also two tops that go with both. One pair of sandals that work for day or dinner hour.

I just wear the same outfits over and over. Works perfect and doesn't take up much room at all in my suitcase.

Dh brings one pair of brown pants and two docker shirts. Wears them over and over.

We fit in really well with what other folks were dressed like. But nice jeans would work just fine.

I will be on this ship in the Caribbean in december for two weeks. I will be wearing my dinner suit - I may take the cream one as well as my black one. I will not worry about who else will be wearing one - as long as I feel comfortable with what I am wearing that is all that matters. So do the same - wear what you want, everyone else will be.

I will be on this ship in the Caribbean in december for two weeks. I will be wearing my dinner suit - I may take the cream one as well as my black one. I will not worry about who else will be wearing one - as long as I feel comfortable with what I am wearing that is all that matters. So do the same - wear what you want, everyone else will be.

Good for you! DH will also be taking his tux on our TA cruise in a week. And I will, as usual, be taking more than I possibly need, but everything will fit into a 26" suitcase, and I don't want to wear the same two pairs of slacks for 15 days. I can't wear a lot of my pretty clothes at home, and now is my chance. Why would I want to dress down on a beautiful ship, on a beautiful vacation which is costing us thousands. Different strokes for different folks.

• 7 months later...
Nice jeans are ok.

I see this expression all the time in the context of dress code discussions and I'm always confused by it.:confused:

What exactly are 'nice' jeans? Are they simply regular blue jeans in good repair (without holes etc.), or is there more to it? Are basic old school Levi's 501's okay as long as there 'nice' and not torn up? Same question for any denim jeans like Wrangler or whatever.

Or does 'nice' jeans somehow mean something different?

So sad to see the elegance and charm of formal wear disappearing.My husband and I will remain decked out in tux and ballgown until they ban them. At the current rate of cultural decline, that may be next year,

Don't be too sure. We let ourselves get talked out of bringing tux and gown on our last 11 day Caribbean cruise a few months ago, since the consensus appeared to be for this itinerary - too warm, more casual. And surprise, surprise we saw plenty of tuxes and some really serious long gowns, like I have not seen in years. So both are going back in for our next cruises. If you enjoy it, bring it.

Maybe I am reading a lot into this, but I sense even the dining stewards like it when people dress up more and make that night special. In a small way it honors their efforts that night too.

Nice in my mind is clean and not torn up. There is no standard definition

Great, thanks.. that's what I was hoping for; as opposed to 'nice' meaning somehow a $500 pair of sequined, sparkly black pair of otherwise regular denim jeans.

Don't be too sure. We let ourselves get talked out of bringing tux and gown on our last 11 day Caribbean cruise a few months ago, since the consensus appeared to be for this itinerary - too warm, more casual. And surprise, surprise we saw plenty of tuxes and some really serious long gowns, like I have not seen in years. So both are going back in for our next cruises. If you enjoy it, bring it.

Maybe I am reading a lot into this, but I sense even the dining stewards like it when people dress up more and make that night special. In a small way it honors their efforts that night too.

I definatly think it honors the effort of the crew to provide an elegant experience.I know in live theatre it is considered an act of respect to dress nicely to honor the performers.

Both my Husband and I have worn jeans to Gala nights without issue or feeling that we stood out

My DH and I have seen people turned away at the door of the MDR when they were wearing jeans on Gala night. Perhaps a maitre'd has decided not to make a scene when you have arrived wearing less than the minimum requested by HAL, but trust me, you stood out to many.

We now take advantage of the expensive, but massively convient laundry service on the ship.

I beg to differ - if you send out a bag full of laundry (and trust me, you can really cram in the clothes), it costs $20. If you're only sending out a piece or two at a time, then the price can add up, but we find it one of the great bargains of cruising filling a bag and having it all returned clean, pressed and ready to wear again for only $20.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Just back on a lovely cruise in the Med on the Saga Pearl II.

Dress Code: Casual

Ladies may wish a casual dress or trousers, while gentlemen can enjoy the freedom of an open-neck shirt and smart casual trousers (no jeans or shorts).

Dress Code: Formal

Ladies may choose to wear a formal evening or cocktail dress, while gentlemen may wear a dinner jacket or tuxedo. If preferred a dark lounge suit may be worn.

Dress Code: Informal

Ladies may wear a less formal dress or separates. Men choose from a lounge suit, sports jacket or blazer with or without a tie; or a smart closed neck, shirt and tie.

Note: Please adhere to the dress code for everyone to enjoy the evening. The dress code is applicable in all restaurants.

Well, the formal evenings are perfect. Great dinners, everything special and even the Head Waiters in tails! Dancing, cocktails, great show. We even had a Dutch captain in command, Captain Kees Spekman... ex Holland America Line from the 70s to the 90s.

To avoid confusion: This is NOT hAL's current dress code!

I see this expression all the time in the context of dress code discussions and I'm always confused by it.:confused:

What exactly are 'nice' jeans? Are they simply regular blue jeans in good repair (without holes etc.), or is there more to it? Are basic old school Levi's 501's okay as long as there 'nice' and not torn up? Same question for any denim jeans like Wrangler or whatever.

Or does 'nice' jeans somehow mean something different?

My nice jeans are black rather than blue and they have zip detail on the legs ... I wear them with a ladies tux style jacket and a white shirt with necktie. My own take on a tux for gala nights :cool: not forgetting the high heels of course

My nice jeans are black rather than blue and they have zip detail on the legs ... I wear them with a ladies tux style jacket and a white shirt with necktie. My own take on a tux for gala nights :cool: not forgetting the high heels of course

This is exactly my point... apparently the term 'nice jeans' is so subjective that it really renders the expression totally ambiguous when one is attempting to determine what the rules are for jeans in the MDR and specialty restaurants. :confused: