Cruise vs all inclusive

Hello. My wife and I are looking at a cruise this winter. ( only been on one before years ago to Alaska, we're both 62 and can't decide if a cruise or a week on island, not one to sit on a resort day after day, We like to do things. Shop, see historic sites, etc. To you. What would you recommend. Southern, Western, or Eastern,? Like I say can't decide between cruise or resort

Thank You

I like both

All inclusive, you're stuck but have all week to explore.

Cruise? You've got 5 or 6 hours to explore but then on to another new adventure.

If cruise, Belize and Mexico have historical sites to visit. Eastern also has some sites of historical significance.

Hello. My wife and I are looking at a cruise this winter. ( only been on one before years ago to Alaska, we're both 62 and can't decide if a cruise or a week on island, not one to sit on a resort day after day, We like to do things. Shop, see historic sites, etc. To you. What would you recommend. Southern, Western, or Eastern,? Like I say can't decide between cruise or resort

Thank You

Personally we prefer to cruise and have multiple ports...not something you get at a resort....Consider either Southern or Eastern

I only look at the Caribbean for a winter getaway, the only thing I'm looking for is cheap (the only ship I like is Costa Deliziosa, which isn't a good choice for most people). Each itinerary has pluses and minuses. I'm not a beach person, I haven't found a resort I like. I don't use drugs so "alcohol included" is also not a factor.

For interesting things to do, I head over to the Mediterranean. Although airfare is more expensive, it's not a deal-breaker, it's low season and far more choice in activities.

Edited by Dancer Bob

When we pick an AI vacation, we go to an island or area with a lot of interesting things to see and do outside the resort. Mayan Riviera was good. Our favorite island stay, though, is Barbados. We've never been bored there, and we've had multiple stays.

Cruising gives you the ability to "sample" several different places. Doing something different every day. But one 6 hour visit only gives you a small taste of what the Island has to offer. Most of our AK vacations have been inspired by a previous port visit.

We used to go to AIs every winter. Then we tried cruising, got hooked, and for several years never visited an AI again. Quite frankly, the food and the entertainment were so much better on ships than at any AI we had stayed at.

Last winter we did go to an AI, specifically to meet up with a travelling friend who was in the country for a few weeks. Although the rooms was not as well-decorated and kept-up as a ship's cabin, it was perfectly fine if you're not picky. The food was excellent, certainly equal to that on a ship in quality and variety. I have to think AIs may have risen to the challenge their cruise ship competition presents in the food department. The resort entertainment was shabby, however, and those annoying beach activity staff were still a factor. I can do without their yelling and whistle blowing.

All in all, we still prefer cruising. With a little research, we always find something interesting and active to do in the ports. And the live entertainment on the ships in the evenings is still a big cut above what we saw at the AI. Have a great vacation, whatever you choose!

It's an either/or thing. Get a guidebook on the places you'll visit. A cruise will only give you a couple hours in one place. An AI (or even a vacation without all inclusive stuff) will give you tons of time to explore! It's up to you what you want!

Thank You

Hi

Do your research like you would for any vacation. Compare prices and itinerary. Check out the port of call threads on this site to find out what you can do on each island. Get an idea about the differences in the cruises lines, what amenities different ships will offer. Read some of the cruise line forums for the ships you are considering. Read reviews, with a grain of salt.

Prices change all the time and with the seasons. Do your research in advance and pick what will work best this year.(South, East, or West) Next year you can do another.

We love cruising but we will be in Mexico in 2 wks. :) at an AI. You can still do both.

have a great cruise

Hi 300 ~ welcome to Cruise Critic.

We've never done an AI but we often vacation on a tropical island as an alternative to cruising. We truly enjoy both.

For us, we enjoy Eastern and Southern Caribbean better than Western. I find the islands overall to be prettier and more varied in terrain, culture, food. But that's just my opinion. I like mountainous islands. You'll find more of them on the eastern/southern itineraries. Also, a lot of the western itineraries include Jamaica and it's one of my least favorite islands of all.

Good luck with whatever you decide and enjoy your vacation.

Thing is you want to visit historical sights, shop, etc.

By taking a cruise you would be able to do this in a number of different places.

All of the Caribbean port stops have something of historical interest.

Have you considered taking a Panama Canal Cruise?

In the winter, you are best off going to the Southern Caribbean as everything north of Puerto Rico may be cool and rainy. It's hard to predict the weather, but truly, in winter, South of Puerto Rico is your best bet. Try to get a cruise where you will see Curacao, Grenada, and St. Lucia - these are 3 of my very favorite islands and so very different:

Curacao - Dutch - has a unique pontoon bridge - good shopping, fun to go sea kayaking here.

Grenada - shop for spices, see chocolate growing, look at gorgeous waterfalls

St. Lucia - do the St. Lucia by land and sea tour. See the world's only drive in volcano, take a volcanic ash mud bath, sail around and see the Pitons and go snorkeling - some of the best in the Caribbean. Truly an amazing island with gorgeous beaches.

In Puerto Rico, stay at the Sheraton Old San Juan. Walk around Old San Juan. Be sure to visit Cafe Culturra for coffee and coconut French Toast with Pineapple, see the tomb of Ponce de Leon at the cathedral (free), sample cigars with Don Collins (if he is there, he is a great conversationalist!), stop for lunch at Barrichina, they invented the Pina Colada, so try one and you can also sample real Puerto Rican food. There are forts and also lots of shops in Old San Juan as well as Ponce de Leon's family's home to tour. All of this is very walkable.