Harmony of the Seas Heads UP

DocJohnB

Over the years while cruising I have found it convenient to punch a hole in the "room card". However, I received the following from a good friend currently on the HOTS' transatlantic.

WARNING for anyone going on the Harmony of the Seas: DO NOT PUNCH HOLES IN YOUR SEA PASS!!! They contain RFID technology & will NOT work if you do. We found out the hard way when we couldn't get back into our room after doing so. There were a lot of people down at the customer service desk getting new cards this afternoon.

Edited by DocJohnB

This has been known for quite some time and the issue started with Quantum class. You can punch a hole in the card - you just need to know exactly where.

Just thought others (like me) did not, but would like to, know.

Where might that be? Or will they do it for us at check-in?

There have been differing reports - certainly not at checkin. Guest services sometimes says yes, but the default answer seems to be no (since they can screw it up as well). On the Quantum class ships it was somewhat easy since you simply aimed for the Northstar cabin on the card. I don't know what picture is on the cards for Harmony but basically you want to be least 1/4" in from the edge all the way around (that's where the RF antenna wire is) and aim for one of the corners (to miss the chip).

Edited by Biker19

Purchase a Wow Band, and you won't need your card except to get on and off the ship. They are well worth $4.95. We got ours for free on the Quantum, and have used the same ones on the Anthem, and will use them on the Harmony. Yes, they can be reprogramed at GS.

Still...lanyards & Wow Bands...not the kind of jewelry I prefer to wear...JMHO ;) Everyone has different taste :)

Well if you use the wow band, You would no longer need to carry the lanyard. Or you can just keep your Sea Pass card in your pocket.

Over the years while cruising I have found it convenient to punch a hole in the "room card". However, I received the following from a good friend currently on the HOTS' transatlantic.

WARNING for anyone going on the Harmony of the Seas: DO NOT PUNCH HOLES IN YOUR SEA PASS!!! They contain RFID technology & will NOT work if you do. We found out the hard way when we couldn't get back into our room after doing so. There were a lot of people down at the customer service desk getting new cards this afternoon.

Thanks for the info.

At least your phone won't screw up the card when they are together in your pocket[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in line at GR when a very upset young woman was getting really

pissy with the GR agent. She complained loudly that this was the third

sea pass card that failed to work and demanded to know what they were

going to do about it.

As the poor ruffled agent left to find a manager, I politely asked the young lady

where she kept her sea pass card. "Right here in my purse!!" She had

one of those small phone purses. I asked her, where do you keep your

phone? "Of course right in here!!" she snipped back. She did not believe

me when I told her the battery in her phone will delete the code on the strip

when you keep them next to each other.

But of course what would I know? Having found that out the hard way,

I keep my phone in one pocket, and the card in the other. Same thing

with hotel cards...etc.

Edited by island lady

She did not believe

me when I told her the battery in her phone will delete the code on the strip

when you keep them next to each other.

I might not believe it either since the real answer is way more complicated and it involves RF energy radiated from the phone.

I might not believe it either since the real answer is way more complicated and it involves RF energy radiated from the phone.

Not always RF energy, Cell phones contain several coils operating at different non-rf frequencies - Magnetic energy.

(just adding to the frivolous posts)

Another reason not to use lanyards.:o

Depends on the lanyard type of pass holder

I use a lanyard all the time but it is in a holder bought from Hobby Lobby. It is small, with a plastic window, and a zippered pocket on the back side for money CC or ID.

Thanks! I am no rocket scientist...but did know phone next to card

with magnetic strip do not work well together.

Cause and effect...same result. ;)