1st time cruiser---seasick tip??

harleymom1313

Are you saying you got sick from riding in the boat that took you snorkeling, or have snorkeling itself? Cruise ships with stabilizers are quite different than a small craft.

Roz

Being on a cruise ship is NOTHING like being in a small boat (Something around 45 feet is still small!)....It's possible you will have NO issues at all. If you do, the ship has medication that will help. Or, bring some OTC Bonine with you, if you want to have it at hand!

This might be something better discussed with your doctor. None of us know you, your medical history or other medical issues you might have. So it would be pretty irresponsible of us to start diagnosing things for you.

I think the above is something valid to discuss with your doctor before your cruise. If you're not on any medication or have other medical issues, you can try out various remedies on your own such as OTC, special wrist bands, ginger...and see what doesn't give you side effects. then take a few types that work for you on your cruise. But what one person swears works for him, might not for you.

I think it was just from snorkeling itself. I did a whale watching cruise and was just fine. I've read everything from...bonine, dramamine, sea band, ginger and green apples.

Since you were fine Whale Watching, you should be perfectly OK on a cruise ship. If you feel it was from snorkeling, just don't snorkel. ;)

Wishing you a seasick free cruise! :)

Not looking to be diagnosed. Just looking for tips or suggestions..:)

It would be hard for an MD (let alone a CC participant) to provide suggestions without knowing the actual cause (rather than just the environment) of your issues.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I get seasick, car sick a lot. So not fun. After hearing negative results from people trying prescription patches, etc. I opted for the wristbands & Dramamine. I take the Dramamine regularly & wear the wristbands. Five cruises and haven't been sick once. Is it the wristbands (Walgreens) or the Dramamine?? I don't know but not changing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been on many cruises with rough seas. Just got off the NCL Dawn 2 weeks ago and went through the outer edges of hurricane Nicole. Those were the worst seas we have been through. We always take Bonine from day one. Never had a problem. If you wait until you get sea sick ( which you cannot predict) it will be too late and the medication won't work. Bonine is one small chew tab once a day. I have gotten seasick on smaller boats also but not since taking Bonine. I can not recommend it enough. We also take it 1 to 2 days after the cruise to prevent the feeling of the earth rocking still.

Heya,

I get boat sick, car sick, coach sick.. anything sick really! But I have pretty much always been alright on cruise ships. On a couple of occasions I have felt a bit sick but there is a few things I always do to minimise my chances. I wrote a post about it here (which should provide you some tips) http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/09/18/do-you-get-seasick-on-a-cruise/

My main tips are: choose the right cabin, don't eat/drink too much and take travel sickness pills if you need too. Don't feel bad if you have to, you need to enjoy your holiday!!

Have a super time, hope the post helps :)

I swear by Sea Bands. On my recent 21 days in the Arctic I needed Bonine twice - both times the wind was howling, the seas were high, and the captain warned that things were going to get rougher. (I was on a small expedition ship). Besides those two days, the sea bands were all I needed.

The bands might have been sufficient when it got rough, but I wasn't willing to take that chance.

I get sick just by looking at the boats :) First of all, pick your cabin wisely. You want to be in the middle third of the ship, in the lower half. You must have some kind of a window.

I haven't tried green apples, not a fan. Ginger is usually enough for me. The trick is, start taking 2-3 days before the cruise, on the cruise daily, and 2-3 days after the cruise to avoid "sea legs".

Bring Bonine aboard. The rest depends on the seas - what part of the World, what time of the year. If all fails, there is a doctor on board.

I understand the responses that if you were fine on a whale watching excursion, you should be more than fine on a cruise ship with just OTC meds in reserve. But if you became sea sick just from snorkeling--which I assume to be merely swimming a snorkel's length below the waterline--you should seriously think about running this by your physician.

The scopolamine patch makes me hallucinate. It is not a common side effect, loads of people use the patch with no ill effects. But, it's something you need to talk with your doctor about.

I take Bonine in the evening if I need it. The drowsy effects are gone by morning.

The acupressure bands have no side effects aside from getting kind of itchy after several days.

I have been on a few snorkel trips and have gotten seasick. Any tips or suggestions for a cruise?

We use BONINE tablets works great. Take one chewable tablet when you get on the ship, Lunch time, and then take one each day at noon time.

The best advice that we got about sea sickness came from one of the ship's officers. Whether it be food or drink(even alcohol), the best way to minimize sea sickness is to keep your stomach full. I'm more inclined to take advice from one of the crew members since they are on the ship for months. I would be careful about going to a doctor simply because a doctor is only going to respond to what your actual experience is. If you don't know how you would feel on the cruise, a doctor won't be able to predict what is the appropriate treatment. Now if you have a doctor that will try to help you without you having any experience, then I recommend you find another doctor.

What are the side effects from the patches? I don't want to be drowsy the entire time so I'm worried about Bonine or dremamine

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know whether I'm prone to seasickness, but just to be safe, I have always taken 2 Bonine tablets before bedtime starting 2 nights before boarding the ship and continue throughout the cruise. I have not needed to take it post-cruise, but that sounds like a good idea for those who definitely suffer from motion sickness. I have never experienced drowsiness with Bonine even with alcohol, but dramamine does make me drowsy.

Regardless of the method of prevention, start a couple of days before the cruise.

I believe it is a given that one should consult with their doctor before taking any type of otc medication.

I have been on a few snorkel trips and have gotten seasick. Any tips or suggestions for a cruise?

Don't have time to read all of the posts so if my suggestion has already been offered sorry - I use the cloth wrist bands with the small plastic nob that acts as a slight pressure point on the inside of your wrist. Do not know how it works but it really works. Best to put them on before the rough seas begin but they will work even after you begin to feel queasy. They cost around $5 for the pair and can be gotten in most any drug store.

No drugs no side effects no worry about adult beverages.

I don't know whether I'm prone to seasickness, but just to be safe, I have always taken 2 Bonine tablets before bedtime starting 2 nights before boarding the ship and continue throughout the cruise.

But the problem with this is that you now have no idea if you are even prone to seasickness. You could be taking the medication for no reason. Personally, I would rather know even if it means being sick for a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12