To Diet or not to Diet?

famreynoso

Just curious, while on the cruise, do you pig out? Or continue counting carbs? Or pace yourself?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

I am supposed to be on a gluten free diet .However ,on the ship I eat whatever i desire but I try not to overly pig out .I tend to eat healthy (but still not gluten free )on the last few days of the cruise.

One thing I see folks doing on cruise ships is drinking lots of soft drinks, fruit drinks, fancy coffee drinks and plenty of alcohol. There are so many calories in these drinks. That doesn't even count the food they eat. Folks are consuming so many liquid calories. Surely they don't do that at home. I assume that it is easy to forget all those fruit drinks, etc. are loaded with calories.

I also do a lot of walking and take the stairs whenever possible. Of course this doesn't really offset the extra calories, but it does help. We do fairly active excursions as well, normally. May be a problem this year as my husband is having severe walking problems due to plantar facscitis.

I had a terrible bout of plantar fasciitis a few years ago and of all the things I did to relieve the pain, the best advice came from my local running shoe store. They told me to wear a Strassburg sock while I slept, and I really think this was the biggest part of my recovery. It's not super comfortable but so much better than the hard braces that keep the feet positioned while sleeping. It's not very expensive and worth a try if he is suffering. I went from limping and barely walking to running again with over the counter arch supports in my shoes. I wish him the best and hope he is up and around for your next cruise!

I had a terrible bout of plantar fasciitis a few years ago and of all the things I did to relieve the pain, the best advice came from my local running shoe store. They told me to wear a Strassburg sock while I slept, and I really think this was the biggest part of my recovery. It's not super comfortable but so much better than the hard braces that keep the feet positioned while sleeping. It's not very expensive and worth a try if he is suffering. I went from limping and barely walking to running again with over the counter arch supports in my shoes. I wish him the best and hope he is up and around for your next cruise!

Thank you! We'll try it. He has been to the podiatrists, is doing therapy plus stretching, icing at home and has had one cortisone shot--due for another. He is on his feet all day, which doesn't help.

I haven't even booked any private excursions yet, like we usually do, because of his feet.

We all seem to agree. We enjoy our cruise like we should. The cruise experience is definitely trying different dishes and enjoying them all. Smart choices, like less bread, leads to better choices, like most of the appetizers.[emoji924][emoji924][emoji924][emoji3][emoji190]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

first couple of cruises we went on you would think we'd never seen food before! these days I try and go by the rule that I don't eat anything I can get at home which encourages me to try different things, I don't eat breakfast at home but I do like the fresh fruit salad in the mornings so it's nice I don't have to make it myself.

Through the day I pick but do limit myself as I hate the feeling of gaining weight, I do also exercise a little but have never come home with no weight gain.

I stay conscious of what I'm eating but I don't totally deprive myself. I usually stay the same or no more than a couple pounds up.

I think the main difference is that we don't snack and often don't bother with lunch.

We aren't big drinkers, either. A bottle of wine lasts us two meals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Forums mobile app

I try and find a middle ground. I don't pig out or eat just because it's all included but if let's say, I see two appetizers on the menu I like or want to try, I do.
Middle ground describes my attitude towards cruise food too -- I'm small and can't eat, eat, eat ... at least not without seeing it around the middle, so I tend to drink lots of water and skip the bread. I eat some desserts, but since they aren't nearly as good as the ones I make at home, it's not hard to go easy on them. Still, I eat plenty onboard ... and still look good in my bathing suit, which matters too!

On our first cruise, Christmas 2014, I put on about 5 kilos in 13 nights, these days I can do a three week cruise and barely gain any weight. How? I pace myself. If the portion size in the MDR is too big, I only eat some of it. I don't load my plate at the buffet - I just have small tastes of dishes that appeal to me. But I don't stint myself either. If I feel like a bread roll, I'll have one. I'll have a sweet treat for afternoon tea, or a pre-dinner cheese plate occasionally. I'll have cocktails, wine with meals and an after-dinner liqueur. Luckily the ships are big enough so that I get plenty of exercise just walking around them,

I would say middle ground, I never eat breakfast at home, but I have it every morning on cruise, and I think my lunch on ship healthier than at home, love the turkey wraps and a fresh salad, dinner I will have more than one appetizer if its something i want to try and I will have dessert, but generally only a few bites, it is just a little to rich for my system. I do drink more, but stick to liquor and wine . I also take the stairs everywhere, that said, I have lost weight on a cruise, stayed the same and I am ashamed to say gained 7 pounds on a 5 day that it rained the whole time, so i was not as active.

I definitely overeat on cruises.

I am the guy that fills up his plate at the buffet for breakfast. I do eat everything on my plate. So, that somewhat assuages my guilt.

My normal land-based breakfast is a toasted bagel with cream cheese and one or two large cups of coffee (black).

I don't eat lunch whether cruising or not.

I generally have a pretty robust dinner--again whether cruising or not. I'm not a dessert guy. I'm not saying that I never eat dessert, but as often as not it's easy for me to say, "No."

I do enjoy wine. Like the poster above, my wife and I find that two bottles of wine lasts for one meal. :) OK, that might be a bit hyperbolic.

I walk a bit. On a cruise my goal is to walk for two hours every day. I'm pretty good about it.

Seems to work for me.