Ultimate Balcony dinner for 2

lorri111

Hi, was lucky enough to score a complementary Ultimate Balcony Dinner for 2 for our upcoming Barrier Reef cruise on the Sun. Does anyone know what is actually included - is there a choice of menu, is alcohol included and how long in advance do you need to arrange it ?

Hi, was lucky enough to score a complementary Ultimate Balcony Dinner for 2 for our upcoming Barrier Reef cruise on the Sun. Does anyone know what is actually included - is there a choice of menu, is alcohol included and how long in advance do you need to arrange it ?

You get a cocktail. You get a bottle of wine. On our cruise, there were three choices, a steak, a lobster, and a surf and turf.

It's really one of the best reasons to sail Princess. My wife said she had never felt so pampered. That's a good thing, a pampered wife.

Here's a great video:

Thank you very much for that, and the link to the video. How long in advance do you have to organise it, I am assuming you just can't ring up the Dine Line on the evening and order it. And do they sort the menu out with you at time of arranging it? It sounds great, and am looking forward to it very much now!

Thank you very much for that, and the link to the video. How long in advance do you have to organise it, I am assuming you just can't ring up the Dine Line on the evening and order it. And do they sort the menu out with you at time of arranging it? It sounds great, and am looking forward to it very much now!

They only do 4 per evening. Best to call as soon as you know what day you want.

A RS supervisor will call ahead (usually the day before) to go over the menu etc.

It's my understanding that there are only four openings for UBD. It is very manpower intensive. There is a waiter who serves the food and who orders each course from the kitchen. There is an assistant waiter who brings the food. It is served course by course so it will always be at the proper temperature. Can you just call the dine line and order it? Perhaps, but with the limited availability....

Despite what some say, you can, at least sometimes, book a date prior to boarding. We booked that cruise through a PCC and, at first, she didn't think we could select a specific date. However, when I told her that it would be our anniversary, she made arrangements. We still had to call the dine line to select the menu, cocktails, times, and type of wines.

Yes, book it as soon as you board.

It's wonderful. We did it a couple of years ago.

The wine provided is a half bottle of champagne. We didn't like it much. Lucily we had brought a good bottle of champagne with us so had that with our dinner. From what I've heard they will exchange the champagne for a regular (cheapish) wine on request. I'm not sure what the alternatives are though.

The embarkation day Princess Patter usually lists the dress code of every night on the cruise, so you can work around the formal nights in the manner you choose. So people choose to avoid formal nights, others don't want to miss them.

The wine provided is a half bottle of champagne. We didn't like it much. Lucily we had brought a good bottle of champagne with us so had that with our dinner. From what I've heard they will exchange the champagne for a regular (cheapish) wine on request. I'm not sure what the alternatives are though.

Each time we've exchanged the $32 half bottle of champagne for a $32 full bottle of cheapish wine. ;)

"Enjoy an intimate, romantic dining experience with breathtaking views and a special meal served by your own dedicated waitstaff on your stateroom balcony. Ultimate Balcony Dining features a hosted cocktail party, fresh flowers, champagne and a deluxe four-course meal featuring delicate sweet lobster tail or juicy steak among many available delicacies".

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/ultimatebalconydining.html

I am hoping to do it on a non formal night since I enjoy those. Disappointed to hear it is only a half bottle of champers, that would barely wet my whistle! BTW, I have just tried to advance book a particular date but was told it was no go.

I am hoping to do it on a non formal night since I enjoy those. Disappointed to hear it is only a half bottle of champers, that would barely wet my whistle! BTW, I have just tried to advance book a particular date but was told it was no go.

No, you can't book until you board.

If it's the 7 night itinerary next February the formal nights will probably be on night 2 (a sea day) and on night 6 (Willis Island Scenic Cruising).

I'd suggest booking it for night 4 (Cairns port stop) unless you are planning a big day out that day. The next stop is Port Douglas which is only a hop, skip and a jump up the coast so the ship will be going very slowly. The channel there is in the middle of the Great Barrier Reef and it is relatively close to land at that point. So if your cabin is on the port side you should get great views of the coastline.

Yep, that's our cruise. I was thinking of night 3 or 4. I am reading stuff now on cyclones at that time of year and am wondering how exciting a balcony dinner might be in the middle of bad weather! On night 3 we depart port at 4pm and night 4 at 6.30 so maybe that will be a better pick as we won't be long underway by (our) dinner time.

Yep, that's our cruise. I was thinking of night 3 or 4. I am reading stuff now on cyclones at that time of year and am wondering how exciting a balcony dinner might be in the middle of bad weather! On night 3 we depart port at 4pm and night 4 at 6.30 so maybe that will be a better pick as we won't be long underway by (our) dinner time.

If there is a cyclone heading for Cairns / Port Douglas then I suspect the ship won't be anywhere near there. ;)

The night we had ours it was quite windy - the flowers had to stay inside instead of on the table. However it was OK sitting outside, and we watched an amazing thunderstorm on the horizon.

You might like to take an electronic candle with you to add to the ambience. These, from Dusk stores, are really great. They come in four sizes - this one is the second smallest. https://www.dusk.com.au/products/enlighten-led-candle-white-small

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

BTW, I have just tried to advance book a particular date but was told it was no go.

My guess is because it's a complimentary UBD that is why you couldn't prebook a date.

No, you can't book until you board.

I recently learned on CC that it's now possible to prereserve a date for the UBD through the Cruise Personalizer. You still have to call room service upon boarding to select the time but it's now possible to pick a date before sailing by prepaying for the UBD.

I confirmed this was possible to do for my future cruise (Cruise Personalizer; Onboard Reservations; Culinary Delights; Ultimate Balcony Dinner For Two $100.00; Select Date).

We've enjoyed our UBDs during sailaway (Puntarenas, Santorini, Barcelona) or an evening in port (Honolulu) which all had good weather conditions.

Hi everyone,

New member here! I was just wondering if the UBD is only for those who are looking for a romantic experience. I'm going to be cruising with my aunt, and I was thinking about requesting the UBD on the last night of cruising. I haven't ordered it yet, but there is a sign-up form on the cruise personalizer on the Royal Princess, so there is the opportunity to pay for it ahead of time, I thought. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Steve

Hi everyone,

New member here! I was just wondering if the UBD is only for those who are looking for a romantic experience. I'm going to be cruising with my aunt, and I was thinking about requesting the UBD on the last night of cruising. I haven't ordered it yet, but there is a sign-up form on the cruise personalizer on the Royal Princess, so there is the opportunity to pay for it ahead of time, I thought. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Steve

If you & your aunt enjoy great service & food then you should enjoy it. :)

Cocktails, photo, champagne (or wine) & flowers would cost nearly $100 which is the UBD's fee. It only cost $42 more than the Crown Grill & is served on your balcony by tuxedoed waiters who magically return with your next course. You can modify the basic filet mignon and/or lobster dinner including adding items from the evening's dining room menu. It's a lot of good food but bring your appetite! ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 9 months later...

Have never sailed Princess before many RCL and Celebrity cruises. My DH and I are looking forward to the UBD. We will have an aft balcony on Royal Princess for a Southern Caribbean. Trying to decide which night would be best have 4 sea days, Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacou. Any thoughts?

Aft balcony is fantastic for UBD. As I understand it, there are two "official" time slots for UBD, 6:00pm and 8:00pm, so check your itinerary for great places you're sailing out of around those times. We've done it twice, first in a starboard-side mini leaving Skagway, Alaska (take a look here Cruise2015-5065 and arrow-right to see the rest of the pictures) and the views were phenomenal as you'll see. It did get cold/windy outside by dessert time, so we relocated inside (fully handled by the staff). Second time was in an aft-facing full suite (plus my folks from a mini) leaving Mazatlan, Mexico. I do wish Mazatlan was a little more picturesque, but it was the right choice time-wise for our itinerary. Fair warning: my wife and I are "into" photography, and I took my lights for the Mexico trip, so your UBD pictures probably won't end up as good (my wife really liked the mini-spotlight shining down on the flowers...), but take a look at our dinner here Cruise-508 and arrow-right to scroll through the pictures.

We are going on the Emerald in October. What does it cost for two and how can you book it?

$100 for 2, call the DINE/ROOM SERVICE line from your cabin phone.

You can pre pay through your booking as well on the personalizer. You just can't pick a date/time that way until onboard.

We are going on the Emerald in October. What does it cost for two and how can you book it?

It's priced as $100 per couple (not sure if that means $100 for 1-2 people, and $50pp after that...all I know is $100 per couple) and it's booked by calling DINE from your room phone. Some have said that they can pre-book online, but the general consensus is that any pre-booking is "loose" and requires confirmation once aboard.

I'm exaggerating when I say that as soon as the elevator goes ding, we run to our cabin, drop our bags outside the door in Amazing Race "we're coming to see you, Phil!" style, she opens the door, and I dash past her to the phone to dial 3463. However, I'm not kidding when I say that this is one of the very first things we do aboard the ship, as it's so capacity-limited. Sometimes you're lucky and nobody does it (that time we did it in Skagway, it was night 5 of the 7-night cruise and apparently we were the first UBD of the cruise), but we love it so much that I don't want to pass up my opportunity to get our preferred day/time. The other thing we might hurry to do is book a session in the Platinum Studio for a formal night, as there's usually only one photographer (sorry, "Platinum Artist") per ship, and therefore only so many sessions can happen between her mid-afternoon trip to the spa and a 5:30 dinner seating (can't mess up the lipstick, or so I'm told).

$100 for 2, call the DINE/ROOM SERVICE line from your cabin phone.

You can pre pay through your booking as well on the personalizer. You just can't pick a date/time that way until onboard.

I was able to pick my date when booking through the cruise personalizer... Time is arranged onboard. And my onboard reservations listings shows the date I booked...

My concern is that everybody always says there is way too much food. Looking at the size of the salad alone makes me wonder how in the world we could eat the whole dinner. We have a 28 day cruise coming up and have a Caribe balcony so it would be the ideal time to give this a whirl but it just seems like sooooooo much food!