what clothing is required south america

happy granpa

Hi

We are thinking of doing a cruise with Holland and America in oct 2017 of south America Santiago Chile to Rio De Janerio Brazil, around Cape Horn.

Can any one give us some idea of what weather and temperatures to expect, also what type of clothing to take. We have never cruised with Holland and America the ship is Zaandam any reviews on this ship or cruise would be very helpful as we do not know what to expect.

Thanks

The seasons are back wards in S.A. We went the other way around a few years back. It well be summer so dress for warm/hot. Going around the Horn could get a bit chilly, layer/ wind breaker. No need to break out the winter gear. Enjoy your cruise.

Allan

The seasons are back wards in S.A. We went the other way around a few years back. It well be summer so dress for warm/hot. Going around the Horn could get a bit chilly, layer/ wind breaker. No need to break out the winter gear. Enjoy your cruise.

Allan

The seasons are perfectly normal in the Southern Hemisphere. They just happen to be opposite what you are used to.

For the OP. do a Google search for a sampling of your ports. For example, "December weather Rio de Janeiro" or whatever ports you are stopping at. That will give you factual info.

We are going in Feb. We are planning on light clothes, light sweater, layered clothing. Nothing special since we will be spending most of out time in much warmer areas of South and Central America. We can always buy a heavier sweater if we need it.

It is 5pm in the Eastern time zone, which includes some SA ports. I have set up windows gadgets on my desktop to monitor the daily temperature in these SA ports. Temps shown are 'at this time'

Buenos Aires 66

Montevideo 56

Port Stanley 50

Punta Arenas, Chile 54

Ushuaia, Argentina 52

Puerto Montt, Chile 55

Santiago, Chile 77

This is today, November 2, 2016

October will not be as warm. October is their 'late winter, early spring'.

We are not going to Rio...I refuse to pay the visa fee that results from US policies.

However, we will be on the Zaandam, sailing in 4 1/2 weeks, Buenos Aires to Santiago.

Edited by thinfool

We were on a Round the Horn cruise on Princess over Christmas and New Year's. The weather on either side of South America was warm, bikini at the pool type weather. However, cruising the Beagle Channel we froze our tushies off. We had packed for both cold and warm climates, and we are sure glad we did. The temps out on the open decks were around 0 C (32 F). This was in 1999. I guess you never know what kind of weather you will run into so close to Antarctica. Have a great cruise, and check out the penguins.

We are going in Feb. We are planning on light clothes, light sweater, layered clothing. Nothing special since we will be spending most of out time in much warmer areas of South and Central America. We can always buy a heavier sweater if we need it.

We also sailed around SA from Buenos Aires back to Miami in March.It snowed in Ushuia and Puerto Montt. Take all kinds of clothes. In Ushuia I needed a scarf, gloves and a wool hat for the excursion we to to view marine wildlife.

Edited by socreader

We did Chile to Argentina with 3 days in Antarctica in Feb 2015. We packed lots of clothes. It started and ended with shorts and light shirts. But the farther south we got, the more clothes we needed. We went with multiple layers and we sure needed them in Antarctica.

Standing out on the Bow in Antarctica we probably had on 4 or 5 layers (long johns, heavy jeans, a couple of shirts, vest, outer jacket and gortex windbreaker. Scarf and ski mask too. On the feet, 2 pairs of socks (one wool) and good boots.

But it was worth it!

We took layers when we went and there were days we needed our jackets. there were others where it was lovely and warm. We did take silk underwear (long johns and undershirt) which was perfect for the cold days. Very light and kept us warm so we didn't need a "lot" of clothes.

It's a fantastic cruise - fantastic scenery and we highly recommend it.

Very much looking forward to it. We have two weeks of travel in Argentina and Uruguay prior to the cruise and another 8 days or so in Chile.

We did not expect to take a cruise because our currency is in the toilet. We had one booked two years ago but gave it up for a move over offer. This year the cruise line had a fabulous late offer that all but eliminated the impact of currency on us.

DH and I have sailed this route several times and only once was the weather mild and quiet. If you go to the Falklands I think you will be more comfortable with a warm sweater, jacket or coat and wooley gloves, scarf and sox. When the winds blow you will need this clothing. A good all purpose jacket over a fairly heavy wool sweater will do, but waiting for the tender sometimes is prolonged and warm clothes are ideal. Pretty much ditto for Ushuhia. Heavy sweaters are available at the booths near the dock in Ushuaiha (spelling?); this is an interesting stop.

Otherwise places like Puerto Montt and/or Buenas Aires you can use your regular clothing you wear. Of course Rio and areas around the equator are quite warm and dress accordingly. I would suggest however for the colder climes to be prepared with minimally a warm sweater, hat, sox, gloves and scarf. Then you will be able to enjoy these two ports if you hit a streak of cold or wind.

On our first cruise down there, we encountered a fellow in a Hawaiian shirt, shorts and flip flops in the Lido when we were going around the Horn. He told us he thought that South America was a 'tropical climate' and that's all he pretty much brought with him. He was not comfortable, even in the Lido, as folks went in and out onto the deck, with the wind blowing.

This is a great cruise. You really will love and recommend you strongly consider signing up for it.

Marianne

Allan

Alan, Sorry but It will not be hot in South America..The OP said they were considering traveling in Oct 2017..That would be spring weather in the U.S. It only gets hot if you are going in Jan to March.. October weather is more like April & the farther down you go the colder it gets..

DH and I have sailed this route several times and only once was the weather mild and quiet. If you go to the Falklands I think you will be more comfortable with a warm sweater, jacket or coat and wooley gloves, scarf and sox. When the winds blow you will need this clothing. A good all purpose jacket over a fairly heavy wool sweater will do, but waiting for the tender sometimes is prolonged and warm clothes are ideal. Pretty much ditto for Ushuhia. Heavy sweaters are available at the booths near the dock in Ushuaiha (spelling?); this is an interesting stop.

Otherwise places like Puerto Montt and/or Buenas Aires you can use your regular clothing you wear. Of course Rio and areas around the equator are quite warm and dress accordingly. I would suggest however for the colder climes to be prepared with minimally a warm sweater, hat, sox, gloves and scarf. Then you will be able to enjoy these two ports if you hit a streak of cold or wind.

On our first cruise down there, we encountered a fellow in a Hawaiian shirt, shorts and flip flops in the Lido when we were going around the Horn. He told us he thought that South America was a 'tropical climate' and that's all he pretty much brought with him. He was not comfortable, even in the Lido, as folks went in and out onto the deck, with the wind blowing.

This is a great cruise. You really will love and recommend you strongly consider signing up for it.

Marianne

I completely agree with Marianne's post.. We've been in SA several times..

1st cruise (17 days) was from RIO around the horn Dec 1, 2003 & it was like June weather in the Mid-Atlantic states..

2nd cruise (25 days) was the Caribbean & the Amazon in April of 06 where the weather was hot & needed only summer clothes..

3rd cruise (68days) left Jan of 2013 we went around the horn & into Antarctica & wore summer clothing in some areas & fall/winter clothing in other areas such as the Falklands..

Fortunately, on the last cruise HAL had FedEx pick up our luggage at home about 3 weeks before departure (just before Christmas) & they were in our cabin when we boarded.. I had packed 2 suitcases (29 inch & 26 Inch) in advance & sent them ahead...We still carried 2more suitcases (25 inch & a large hanging bag) plus our hand luggage ourselves to the port... We wore hats, gloves & winter jackets with sweaters & of course I had short boots with socks on many times, but forgot my scarf & bought one on board.. DH only had rubbers which we got in Burlington Coat factory for his shoes...Rain gear is a must.. HAL had FEDEx ship our luggage home for us too..It came the following day.

After our ship left the colder climes on the last trip, I packed a bag of just winter clothes & stored it on a far wall at the end of our bed.. Could have asked our Steward to store it but it really was not in our way..

Since I can not quote the poster who posted the actual temps now, suggest that the OP follow his lead & look up the average weather in all the countries/cities which are on the itinerary.. http://www.worldclimate.com/ & Yahoo weather are two good sites to use..

Happy Granpa, It was a wonderful cruise & hope you go for it..

BTW Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you have any more questions, ask away.. There are lots of posters here happy to give advice..

Edited by serendipity1499

Our challenge is that we each only travel with a 20 inch roller carry on. We are stopping in Panama and Costa Rica for three weeks on our way home. It will be very warm. We may pack a pair of gloves and a light sweater. The balance will be layered clothes that we can use for the entire trip. We always pack waterproof, windproof jackets.

The weather can be so variable. We will check prior to leaving BA and if necessary purchase a heavier jacket that we can subsequently carry on outside our bag.

Edited by iancal