Nieuw Amsterdam upsell offer to Signature Suite - thoughts ?

Dogstar

Hi all,

Offered upsell today on Nieuw Amsterdam (2016-12-04; Eastern Caribbean) from our Verandah Stateroom (Category VD, Deck 7 'Rotterdam') to Signature Suite ($324 CDN pp.) or Neptune Suite ($649 pp CDN). A quick search of the HAL forum shows this upsell pricing being offered previously for other NA sailings. With 3 adults in cabin the additional space would be nice, plus it's no extra cost for the 3rd person. When we booked last year, & even after one price drop since, the Signature Suite pricing was definitely cost prohibitive. As much as we'd really like a Neptune Suite we still can not justify the extra-extra $$$ to our budget ... but are considering the Signature Suite upgrade.

So, having laid out the background, what's your thoughts on this current Signature Suite upsell offer @ T-4 weeks before departure? Should I counter-offer &/or await better offer(s)? If counter/wait, what price would you suggest?

Also, given current Signature Suite cabin availability, would you recommend:

1. Deck 6 'Upper Verandah' ~ Category SS or SZ ? ; or
  2. Deck 5 'Verandah' ~ Category SS ?

Thanks all for your considered replies.

Cheers. Dogstar.

I would select a Deck 6 SS. A Deck 5 SS would be OK, if it was not adjacent to the exterior elevators. The SZ's veranda may not be as private because of the shape of the SY's veranda just aft of the SZ.

On the Nieuw Amsterdam, not this same cruise, however, I have booked a Deck 6 SS.

To me, the upsell price offered for either the Signature Suite or the Neptune Suite is attractive. Delaying a decision may find that others will have made your decision for you, i.e. "no longer available". You are not the only one being such an upsell offer, I am sure.

Edited by rkacruiser

The upsell prices are attractive, especially with 3 in the room. My advice: go for it! The Neptune will give you free laundry including dry cleaning and an invite to the officers cocktail party as well as the special lounge. The verandah is twice as big at least as the regular verandah rooms. The only caution is it will be hard to ever go back to a little room again.

You should be able to choose your cabin with the upsell. Definitely grab the SS if possible on Deck 6. I would not choose the four SS on Deck 5.

The Neptune amenities are really nice for that price. Be aware that going from the Verandah cabin to a Suite will not give you the double Mariner points.

With three adults you would be well served with the extra room. We similarly took an upset on an SS on a recent TA and it was well worth the cost. That being said, the going rate for a SS at this time is $1299 US. Does that compare to what was offered when you booked. The web site shows 12 SS category rooms available ( yes I know that includes guarantees!). If the upsell is close to the original price of the booking it may not be that attractive and a second wave of upsets may be forthcoming in the next few weeks. ( I know there is no guarantee that it will be still available.) Since you are about 60 days out from embarkation I'm assuming it is the first offer you received. Only you can determine whether it is worth the cost now or whether you wish to hold you breath for a better offer.

Sorry for intruding, first time booked with HAL on Oosterdam to Alaska, May 2017 in VB Balcony. What are the chances of upsell on that sailing to Neptune suite (family with 2 kids in one room)? They say Alaska is in high demand this year due to various factors. (if it's not appropriate to ask this question on this thread, please let me know. I will post as separate thread.)

Sorry for intruding, first time booked with HAL on Oosterdam to Alaska, May 2017 in VB Balcony. What are the chances of upsell on that sailing to Neptune suite (family with 2 kids in one room)? They say Alaska is in high demand this year due to various factors. (if it's not appropriate to ask this question on this thread, please let me know. I will post as separate thread.)

From what little I know, the ship capacity to Alaska for 2017 has increased for HAL. Will that affect prices? What are the other cruise lines doing that might affect prices? I have not a clue.

Not a travel agent, but one who does use one: I suggest you speak with an experienced cruise travel agent about your concern.

Let your TA or PCC know that you are VERY interested in an upsell. That helps.

And, if you have an idea of what you are willing to pay, give them authorization in advance so they can snatch it for you.

OP- I'm with the rest on the SS choice for this ship. Neptune Suites are nice for sure (especially with three people) but the SS will give you a LOT more room than your verandah.

Hi all,

Thanks everyone for the replies & suggestions. The consensus is to definitely upgrade to Signature Suite, upsell offer price is good, select Category SS on Deck 6 'Upper Verandah', & accept it now before inventory disappears. So we did!

If it was your choice, given availability options of an 'adjoining room' suite (ie. around 6093 grouping) or 'non-adjoining' (ie. near 6056 grouping) which would you recommend? Apparently the 'adjoining' rooms have one less closet so I'm more prone, given that we're 3 adults, to keep my more-forward-than-mid 'non-adjoining' suite selection.

Thanks. Dogstar.

Edited by Dogstar
Typo correction

Hi all,

The consensus is to definitely upgrade to Signature Suite, upsell offer price is good, select Category SS on Deck 6 'Upper Verandah', & accept it now before inventory disappears. So we did!

Given availability options of an 'adjoining room' suite (ie. around 6093 grouping) or 'non-adjoining' (ie. near 6056 grouping) which would you recommend? Apparently the 'adjoining' rooms have one less closet so I'm more prone, given that we're 3 adults, to keep my more-forward-than-mid 'non-adjoining' suite selection.

Thanks. Dogstar.

I would go with the extra closet space..6056.

Good for you!! I would have grabbed either the SS or Neptune (at those prices) in a heartbeat!! I sail 2 wks after you on the Nieuw Amsterdam Christmas sailing and we are currently booked in a VE on the 8th deck. The minute I read your post, I called my TA to let her know I am VERY interested in an upsell, if offered for similar pricing. It looks like there are still bunches of SSs and Neptunes on our sailing, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

Have a GREAT cruise and enjoy that extra space!!

Hi all,

Offered upsell today on Nieuw Amsterdam (2016-12-04; Eastern Caribbean) from our Verandah Stateroom (Category VD, Deck 7 'Rotterdam') to Signature Suite ($324 CDN pp.) or Neptune Suite ($649 pp CDN). A quick search of the HAL forum shows this upsell pricing being offered previously for other NA sailings. With 3 adults in cabin the additional space would be nice, plus it's no extra cost for the 3rd person. When we booked last year, & even after one price drop since, the Signature Suite pricing was definitely cost prohibitive. As much as we'd really like a Neptune Suite we still can not justify the extra-extra $$$ to our budget ... but are considering the Signature Suite upgrade.

So, having laid out the background, what's your thoughts on this current Signature Suite upsell offer @ T-4 weeks before departure? Should I counter-offer &/or await better offer(s)? If counter/wait, what price would you suggest?

As to prices, I usually find that the upsell price is about 33% of the current difference in the two categories involved. Looks like your offer pretty much follows this, so it seems like a fair one.

You need to move fast as these upsells go fast.

We leave on the NA on Nov. 20th and we missed the upsell fairy. We have a verandah but thought they might want to offer us a SS. Just checked and the suites are all sold out. Guess I can enjoy more cocktails since I'm not spending money upgrading.

Edited by AnnieBelle