First time cruisers...booking question

RevCindy

Hello all,

I apologize as I'm sure this has been answered a million times before. I just couldn't seem to find it in my search.

We are first time cruisers. We've found exactly what we want through the cruise line website, cabin and all. NCL to Hawaii. Do I book it directly through them or can someone/somewhere else get me what I want for a better price? (I know no one pays rack rate for a hotel room. Is a cruise similar?) Also, should I book my air through them or elsewhere? I would probably go directly to the airline as opposed to a travel agent, etc... as I find them too unweildy and difficult if a problem pops up that needs attention.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by Host Walt
Removing TA names (a violation of our guidelines)

Shop around for a travel agent IF that is the way you want to go, you might find a discounted price or some on board credit as a booking incentive. Having said that, the 7-day hawaii cruise is always popular so booking early will probably be in your favor so you are locked in if there is a price increase.

As for airfare....

Look at what the prices are via the airline websites and compare those to what NCL is offering. Doing your homework will benefit your pocketbook.

Come on over to the Norwegian board under Cruise Lines A-O and you will find a lot of information on the Pride of America and NCL in general.

As a general rule cruise lines do not permit their product to be discounted. What you will find is travel agents may be able to offer a better bottom line price because they either book cabins under a group rate, or give up part of their commission to pro ice a perk such as paying for your gratuities.

It is pretty much always cheaper to do your own air. You will need to plan on flying in at least a day prior to the cruise and budgeting for a hotel

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am a former TA. A good TA is worth their weight in gold. Since you know the ship and date you want to go, they cannot be as creative for you to find the best deals. I still recommend going through a TA. Ask family and friends for TA recommendations.

Hello all,

I apologize as I'm sure this has been answered a million times before. I just couldn't seem to find it in my search.

We are first time cruisers. We've found exactly what we want through the cruise line website, cabin and all. NCL to Hawaii. Do I book it directly through them or can someone/somewhere else get me what I want for a better price? (I know no one pays rack rate for a hotel room. Is a cruise similar?) Also, should I book my air through them or elsewhere? I would probably go directly to the airline as opposed to Expedia, Orbitz, etc... as I find them too unweildy and difficult if a problem pops up that needs attention.

As others have mentioned, most mass market cruise lines - NCL being one of them - don not discount thier stateroom rates through a TA. Whatever price you see on line through whatever promotion is in effect at the time you book it is the price you will pay directly or through a TA. So in that respect you will pay "rack rate". Most cruise lines will also allow you to benefit from any rate reductions that may occur prior to final payment.

What a TA can do is offer perks (OBC, etc.) that will come directly out of their commission or a slight rate reduction as a result of a group program or block of rooms they have reserved which allows them (or you if you booked a group in a similar manner directly) a small percentage discount usually based on 8-room blocks. There can be restrictions on room selections however based on this. But be aware that some TA's will charge fees separate from those charged by the cruise line for originating,modifying, or canceling a booking made through them and they should be avoided as IMO this practice adds extra revenue to them and can serve as a way to mitigate the perks they are providing. Do your homework first, as there are many who do not do this.

I agree that a good TA is valued by their knowledge and service to you and will act as your advocate and representative to the cruise line for any questions or issues that may arise. We have used the same TA for many years because of this and have never paid extra for their service.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

As stated , most every cruise line prohibits TA's from adverting discounted rates.

Searching online you won' see the TA's actual deal . You must contact them.

Then you will see why 65% of all cruises are booked thru TA's.

TA's should always do better than booking direct. If not , you have a TA that doesn't appreciate your business , move on to another .

Hi @RevCindy.

I'm also a first time cruiser and have similar questions to you.

Have a look at the thread I posted here.

How do Cruise Line companies work with Travel Agents to their mutual benefit?

When phoning travel agents, I've had absolutely no luck in finding one that will give me any discount to improve on the cruise line's posted price. Since there seems to be no benefit with booking with a travel agent, I will be booking directly with the Cruise Line.

Edited by andy_man

Hello all,

We are first time cruisers. We've found exactly what we want through the cruise line website, cabin and all. NCL to Hawaii. Do I book it directly through them or can someone/somewhere else get me what I want for a better price? (I know no one pays rack rate for a hotel room. Is a cruise similar?) Also, should I book my air through them or elsewhere? I would probably go directly to the airline as opposed to Expedia, Orbitz, etc... as I find them too unweildy and difficult if a problem pops up that needs attention.

Just posted this thread for someone else looking at how to find a good TA.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=50644654

As for airlines, learn how to use the ITA Matrix app or website to identify flights/basic pricing. Then connect directly with the airline. Best bet is to also inquire by phone for complex routings (ask for booking fee to be waived due to inability to see all flights and/or complete complex booking online.

Investing time and energy into better understanding how travel works will, literally, save you thousands of dollars over the long-haul.

Wow, Cruise Critic is truly amazing! I've been reading and reading and have gotten so much helpful information.

We are AAA members and were talking to one of their TA's at a travel show. We were originally thinking a land trip to Hawaii but after the show, decided on a Caribbean cruise with NCL. I send her an email asking her if she could get us a better rate but understand from you all that probably not. I don't want to waste her time if we don't really need her because her services are included in our membership.

We now also don't need air because we're leaving from the state we'll be moving to soon.

My next stress is trip insurance. That's the next thing I'm reading these pages for. Next will be excursions.

Thanks everyone, for your help. I'll be seeing you around the boards!

Wow, Cruise Critic is truly amazing! I've been reading and reading and have gotten so much helpful information.

We are AAA members and were talking to one of their TA's at a travel show. We were originally thinking a land trip to Hawaii but after the show, decided on a Caribbean cruise with NCL. I send her an email asking her if she could get us a better rate but understand from you all that probably not. I don't want to waste her time if we don't really need her because her services are included in our membership.

We now also don't need air because we're leaving from the state we'll be moving to soon.

My next stress is trip insurance. That's the next thing I'm reading these pages for. Next will be excursions.

Thanks everyone, for your help. I'll be seeing you around the boards!

You may be missing the point of some of the posts. With some few exceptions, advertised cabin prices are the same across the board of TAs or the cruise line itself. It's the unadvertised credits/refunds/OBC that you need to find. And the best of those deals will come from your preferred line's top producers. We belong to the same organization you mention (plus other big outfits like certain "big box" stores) and, believe me: with some decent research there are far better deals to be had. Do your homework.

You may be missing the point of some of the posts. With some few exceptions, advertised cabin prices are the same across the board of TAs or the cruise line itself. It's the unadvertised credits/refunds/OBC that you need to find. And the best of those deals will come from your preferred line's top producers. We belong to the same organization you mention (plus other big outfits like certain "big box" stores) and, believe me: with some decent research there are far better deals to be had. Do your homework.

I have a friend who has recommended a wonderful travel agent and will be giving her a call, based on my new understandings. Your post was a little clearer to me about the pro's of a TA and I appreciate that you posted it.

Thank you again!

We use a TA and we do get some perks, but mostly because he helps with the legwork. We want a cabin near the elevator, mid-ship, mid-level without any venue above or below us. While I could do the research myself, one call or e-mail to him and it's done. He has been on all the ships and gives me tips on where to park if we drive, hotels he's stayed in near the port, rental car pick-ups and drop offs when using a different city for the airport and cruise,and what type of travel insurance policies cover exactly what and exclude what...also on when I need to purchase. We've had some personal glitches come up on cruises we have booked and he has ALWAYS taken care of everything. I book the air and travel insurance myself, but a good travel agent is invaluable.

Hello all,

We are first time cruisers. We've found exactly what we want through the cruise line website, cabin and all. NCL to Hawaii. Do I book it directly through them or can someone/somewhere else get me what I want for a better price? (I know no one pays rack rate for a hotel room. Is a cruise similar?) Also, should I book my air through them or elsewhere? I would probably go directly to the airline as opposed to a travel agent, etc... as I find them too unweildy and difficult if a problem pops up that needs attention.

RevCindy, I've been on the NCL a few times and have also done the Pride of America cruise. I've booked once with a TA and all the other times directly with them, but never booked online. The best option that I experienced was to call and book directly with NCL. I did the online search, picked my preferred cabin, and then called NCL to book. I say to book directly with them, because NCL has offered upsells to us on most of our cruises with them. I look forward to taking advantage of upsells when they are available. However, the one time that I used a TA, when an upgrade offer was going to be made to me, my TA was on vacation, and NCL would not make the offer directly to me. Their policy was that all correspondence with me had to be made through my TA. I had to go through all sorts of hoops to get the offer, which I finally did get, but I have never used a TA for a cruise since.

I prefer to book my own flights for various reasons.

Edited by phillygirl63