Seabourn Odyssey Transatlantic, December 7, 2016

rafinmd

About the disembarkation morning MDR closure. As I understand it, the Executive Chef had just returned to sea after several years in land restaurants. I'm wondering if it is possible that he over-reacted a bit to what would be his first USPHS inspection in several years and wanted to leave nothing to chance?

Roy

Roy, I enjoyed your comparisons.

As I read through each one it reminded me that in the opinion that matters most is our very own. Something that might be important to one person or might be something preferred by someone might be viewed completely differently from one another.

As to breakfast on disembarkation day you might be right as to what happened.

Roy, I look forward to your next cruise.

Merry Christmas. Enjoy your time in Florida.

Keith

We never had breakfast in MDR on Seabourn, almost always did room service. It was even available on debarkation day, only until 7:30 or so.

Crystal's basic cabin was too cramped for comfortable breakfast so we'd usually get early room service coffee, maybe a muffin or bit of cheese and then after puttering around and getting dressed, mosey up to get something on the lido. Sometimes we'd have MDR breakfasts. The Japanese breakfast was a treat.

Queen Mary promenade deck was great. We loved charging from fancy dinner clothes to jeans and having a midnight stroll before bed. Crystal Serenity's promenade deck was also nice though we always managed to miss the formal walk in the early morning-- or it was closed for weather.

Roy - your comparison reviews so far just reinforce to me the fact that we are all so different in our (awful word) lifestyles, even though people generally manage to get on well on board ship. Personally, I really enjoy morning tea in bed about 7 a.m., and never want to have breakfast before about 8 or 8.30. I have no need (though I am sure I should) for a good area for walking on board. I like to dine fairly early, but 7 is plenty early enough, and as we usually arrive fairly early and like a table for two we do not need to spend all evening at the dinner table. But occasionally like to share, or accept a hosted table. We also very much prefer a ship with fewer than about 500 passengers.

From this, it seems pretty obvious that we would not enjoy Crystal or Cunard as much as Seabourn. CC does work very well to help people to find out where they can find out the things which matter to them on a cruise, when good souls like you are prepared to spend time describing the details of days on board.

About the disembarkation morning MDR closure. As I understand it, the Executive Chef had just returned to sea after several years in land restaurants. I'm wondering if it is possible that he over-reacted a bit to what would be his first USPHS inspection in several years and wanted to leave nothing to chance?

Roy

The MDR was, in fact, open for breakfast on arrival in FLL, with the last seating at 8:30. It was not noted in the Herald but that is the usual case on the last morning. We enjoyed, along with about 10 other tables, a leisurely breakfast there watching the chef, hotel manager, F&B manager and others speaking discretely with the inspectors.

Edited by 2SailingNomads

The MDR was, in fact, open for breakfast on arrival in FLL, with the last seating at 8:30. It was not noted in the Herald but that is the usual case on the last morning. We enjoyed, along with about 10 other tables, a leisurely breakfast there watching the chef, hotel manager, F&B manager and others speaking discretely with the inspectors.

Thank you for the clarification.

Roy