India Visa/Us citizen question

chaps612

I'm traveling on the Connie out of Abu Dhabi on the Nov 28 cruise and have not procured a visa for India. I have a US passport but live in the Middle East. How do I go about getting one? This was a last minute trip and I didn't do my homework. Thanks for your help!!

I'm traveling on the Connie out of Abu Dhabi on the Nov 28 cruise and have not procured a visa for India. I have a US passport but live in the Middle East. How do I go about getting one? This was a last minute trip and I didn't do my homework. Thanks for your help!!

You need to get on the stick and get your visa. You many not be allowed on the ship without one.

We used a visa company called GENVISA

http://www.genvisa.com

The process for getting our Indian visas was more painful that for Russia and China. Also, just getting off the ship the first day in India took more than two hours, it was rediculous.

To the service with which the Royal Caribbean family of brands [Azamara, Celebrity, and Royal] has a relationship and to which they would refer you if you were to inquire... I've used them; expensive but efficient...

http://visacentral.com/

By all accounts--I've not traveled to India--the application process for an Indian visa is onerous... By all means, as the previous poster suggested, you need to "get on the stick"...

I read many posts indicating that the India Visa was difficult. Found quite the opposite. Just answer the questions asked and you'll be fine. Asks you to list countries visited past 10 years, but limits space. I listed the countries visited with the most letters and was fine. Visa service tells you the information for local contact. Took 10 days. From mailing to receiving it back.

This person apparently is living in the Middle East, not the US. So those visa services would not be readily available...EM

They are probably going to have to express mail their passports along with application to the US to get the visa.

Also,

Orator,

I had the same problem with listing the many countries that I had visited, so I tried to list the ones that clearly had a stamp in my passport.

As for the blank were you are staying, the visa company advised me that I could not put the ship's name and to put the name of a hotel in India were we were visiting. I did that and got the visa, but had to redo my application twice. Once because I abbreviated the Saint as in St. Simons Island, where I live.

India needs to have a more user friendly visa process like China, which now is smoother and Americans get a 10 year visa. I am not encouraged to go back to India.

Maybe you could phone the Indian Embassy wherever it is you are living and ask if they are able to issue you one or if it has to be done in your home country.

The information below is only applicable to U.S. and Canadian citizens. All other guests should review the visa requirements for each country on their sailing itinerary with their Embassy/Consulate or a Visa service of their choice.

Visa is required and must be obtained before leaving home.

Embassy website: https://www.indianembassy.org

All guests must have proper Indian visas at check in or will be denied boarding.

Indian immigration authorities will not allow entry without a valid visa. Indian E-visa's are not applicable when entering India via a sea port.

Indian authorities require one photo copy of the photo page of a guest's passport for each Indian port visited - the guest should bring these with them.

All guests must complete the provided "yellow card" during the debarkation and embarkation process in India.

I will guaranteed that filling out the Visa for India is a PITA. After some conservations with some local Indian, I guess that name is correct. There are a lot of reason for the DETAILED history of your family.

We would like to be on the ship without disembarking in India and were assured by Celebrity that one could get on the ship without having a Visa. The only place of interest is so far away from ports .. for us... that if we get on Constellation we will enjoy the air conditioning on board without having to put up with the heat outside.

The information below is only applicable to U.S. and Canadian citizens. All other guests should review the visa requirements for each country on their sailing itinerary with their Embassy/Consulate or a Visa service of their choice.

Visa is required and must be obtained before leaving home.

Embassy website: https://www.indianembassy.org

All guests must have proper Indian visas at check in or will be denied boarding.

Indian immigration authorities will not allow entry without a valid visa. Indian E-visa's are not applicable when entering India via a sea port.

Indian authorities require one photo copy of the photo page of a guest's passport for each Indian port visited - the guest should bring these with them.

All guests must complete the provided "yellow card" during the debarkation and embarkation process in India.

When onboard Solstice in 2012 Celebrity did not require Visa if passenger did not exit ship in India. Has that policy changed? Will be onboard Connie for 2 months including India. No plans to get Visa. Not home long enough !!!

Celebrity Cruises PLEASE recheck this !!!

We would like to be on the ship without disembarking in India and were assured by Celebrity that one could get on the ship without having a Visa. The only place of interest is so far away from ports .. for us... that if we get on Constellation we will enjoy the air conditioning on board without having to put up with the heat outside.

This is so typical of Celebrity ....we were told you had to have a visa even if you intended to not leave the ship ...this is incase you were taken ill and had to be taken off in India. ....also, that you would be denied boarding without one. We don't intend doing too much in India at all, and would rather stay onboard the ship, but have obtained visa's regardless

I read many posts indicating that the India Visa was difficult. Found quite the opposite. Just answer the questions asked and you'll be fine. Asks you to list countries visited past 10 years, but limits space. I listed the countries visited with the most letters and was fine. Visa service tells you the information for local contact. Took 10 days. From mailing to receiving it back.

Figuring that they could look at the stamps already in the passport, we listed those countries ... ran out of room to list all. In the US, using CIBT for our included visa-package on another line, it took two weeks to get our visas back.

Edited by h2so4

`We are fortunate to live within a half hour drive of an Indian visa office. The form was somewhat complicated, but we followed the instructions provided online. The only problem we had was that DH's father was born in India to British parents and this confused the staff in the office. They tried to convince him that he should be applying for an Indian passport! We were given a date a week later to pick up our passports with the visas.

We used the address of the agent in the first Indian port and that was fine.

The experience of visiting India was well worth the price of the visa. I was rather hesitant, but the private excursions on the backwaters in Cochin and in Mumbai were unforgettable. Goa was not too exciting on a Sunday, but New Mangalore provided a contrast to the busy city of Mumbai and the relaxing houseboat trip in Cochin.

Personally I would not consider staying on the ship and missing the chance to get a taste of a country with such a different culture, but of course everyone is different.

Sheila

Edited by smtcan

• 1 month later...

I was wondering how you made out if in fact you boarded without a visa. We're going on the Connie 4/2/17 .

Thanks

Harry

I trust you've thought of this given your vast cruising and Celebrity experience, but if you don't have a visa and you are suddenly required to disembark because you need a doctor or dentist on shore, or need to travel home for a family emergency, you have a huge problem... For that reason only, Celebrity would be smart to not allow people without a visa to board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree those without visas delay everyone's disembarkation for excursions as well as the authorities recheck the arrangements for them before allowing guests off the ship AND then have to put in two extra checks for disembarking because they have to be satisfied at the gangway and in the terminal that guests who had no visas are not coming off.

What I'm struggling with is what's the big issue, get the paperwork sorted!

Also India is a country where things change so even if someone was ok without a visa last week you might not be thus week so the only advice on these boards you should rely on, whatever country you are going to, is get the visas required as stated on government websites!

Some of us cruise so frequently that we cannot be w/o our passport for the required 2-4 weeks to get the visa !!!

It does not take that long, I am away on business most of the year but still am able to comply with the needs of any country. Do some research or cruise less often Id say.

Get a 2nd passport !

Annie

Are US citizens allowed to have 2 passports?

Seems like it would be similar to having two drivers licenses (which is not allowed).

Maybe a book passport and a card passport?

Does the card passport work in the Caribbean / Canada?

Thanks !!!

Edited by TommyD3

Are US citizens allowed to have 2 passports?

Seems like it would be similar to having two drivers licenses (which is not allowed).

Maybe a book passport and a card passport?

Does the card passport work in the Caribbean / Canada?

Thanks !!!

Are you a US citizen?? I am not. I am a UK citizen where 2 passports are allowed.

Annie