Specialty Restaurant Discount

Tedferg

Reflection, Mar 4 2017, first X Cruise.

7 Day cruise and I see there is an option for 4 night package - $137, One each at different specialty restaurants. Looks like a nice discount, but not sure we'll do 4 nights out of 7 in Specialty.

I also see comments on these boards about on-board promotions for Specialty restaurants. Might be best to wait and see.

Thanks for thoughts and comments.

Generally, unless you're on a holiday cruise of some sort there's discounts to be had on board which are as good as or better than the packages sold pre-sailing. The plus of those is you get to choose which specialties and how many...and if you have OBC you can use it instead of your credit card. There are generally crew members on embarkation day offering discounts as well as outside the OC daily. If the restaurant being offered isn't the one you want, don't be shy and ask. They've always accommodated us.

Generally, unless you're on a holiday cruise of some sort there's discounts to be had on board which are as good as or better than the packages sold pre-sailing. The plus of those is you get to choose which specialties and how many...and if you have OBC you can use it instead of your credit card. There are generally crew members on embarkation day offering discounts as well as outside the OC daily. If the restaurant being offered isn't the one you want, don't be shy and ask. They've always accommodated us.

I agree ...I would do no more than 2 visits to a specialty restaurant on a 7 night cruise. And ... you will most likely find some decent discounts onboard. If not offered outright, don't forget to ask for one ... many times they will be quite flexible unless they are completely booked.

Not sure the term "on board promotion" is the way to think of possible discounts. We have been on cruises where there is a real effort to sell the Tuscan Grill...and staff might get your attention as you enter of leave the Lido and offer you a reservation for 25 or 30% off. In fact, when we were on the Eclipse last year the Tuscan was not overly popular and staff kept annoying us (at the Lido) to book a reservation. One day I was stopped by a Tuscan waiter who had stopped me several previous times. To get rid of him I simply said we would not consider anything less then a 50% discount. He quickly made a call and then offered us 50% off if we went late on that same night....and we declined (we do not even like the Tuscan).

On the other hand, we have sometimes sought discounts by befriending staff and making our desire known. One cruise we kept asking the Qsine staff for a 50% discount but they would not go above 30%. Then one day, while we were walking past Qsine the staffer on the door stopped us and ask if we were still interested in a 50% off deal. When we said yes, he told us he could do that if we came that evening at 8....which we did.

Sometimes it is just about negotiation (and using some charm)...and other times when business is good you cannot get any discount.

Hank

Can you cancel a pre-booked specialty on board and re-book if a discount is offered?

I would think so, but I've never done it. I have cancelled pre-booked shore excursions and I don't know why that would be any different.

The Reflection has 5 specialty restaurants, we have dined in 3 of them, Murano, Tuscan, and the best, the Lawn Club Grill in 2013.

IOHO, they are well worth the cost. Next 7 day cruise, we will book the lowest cost balcony and get the Unlimited Specialty pkg.

The Reflection has 5 specialty restaurants, we have dined in 3 of them, Murano, Tuscan, and the best, the Lawn Club Grill in 2013.

IOHO, they are well worth the cost. Next 7 day cruise, we will book the lowest cost balcony and get the Unlimited Specialty pkg.

I've seen the 3 and 5 dinner packages. Where did you see the unlimited?:confused:

I've seen the 3 and 5 dinner packages. Where did you see the unlimited?:confused:

Unlimited specialty dining is only offered to a very limited number of passengers once onboard. If it hasn't gone up, I believe it is $29 per day per person and can only be purchased for the entire cruise ... not prorated.

I think it may even include one luncheon at the specialty restaurants. I keep wanting to try it but then wouldn't use it often enough to make it worth my while. For some, they love it, though.

Unlimited specialty dining is only offered to a very limited number of passengers once onboard. If it hasn't gone up, I believe it is $29 per day per person and can only be purchased for the entire cruise ... not prorated.

I think it may even include one luncheon at the specialty restaurants. I keep wanting to try it but then wouldn't use it often enough to make it worth my while. For some, they love it, though.

That is it, $29 pp per day. We have friends that have gotten it, wonderful they said.

On the ships with only 2 or 3 specialties we would prob not get it either.

But the Reflection has 5, plus the new lunch burger bar at the Lawn Club Grill.

251424155_lawngrill.jpg.4df249683b63b6bcd2d0647488571062.jpg

Before we had booked this cruise, 7 days, I was browsing the X website and saw info on Specialty packages, as mentioned in OP. It listed 3,4,5 meal options but only showed 4 or 5 on the 7 day cruises. 4 Night was $137.

Now that we have booked and logged in X shows '4 night package - From $125'. Not sure what 'From' means - each Specialty restaurant had 'From' in the price too. Still think waiting for an on-board offer and maybe just 2 nights out of 7 is best for us.

BTW I did see the option to request reservations for MDR and Specialty restaurants. Looked pretty straightforward to add each night in one step.

Before we had booked this cruise, 7 days, I was browsing the X website and saw info on Specialty packages, as mentioned in OP. It listed 3,4,5 meal options but only showed 4 or 5 on the 7 day cruises. 4 Night was $137.

Now that we have booked and logged in X shows '4 night package - From $125'. Not sure what 'From' means - each Specialty restaurant had 'From' in the price too. Still think waiting for an on-board offer and maybe just 2 nights out of 7 is best for us.

BTW I did see the option to request reservations for MDR and Specialty restaurants. Looked pretty straightforward to add each night in one step.

We were on a 7day in July in Europe on the Constellation; we asked our head waiter if there were any discounts in Murano . He told us he would make a reservation at our time of choosing and at a 20% discount. He did and we did !

Eaglewar.........Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Reflection. Captain's Club 50% discount for specialty restaurant first night only. I asked twice during the week and was told there were no discounts. They did lunch at the lawn club for $10 every sea day and lunch at least twice in Murano for $25. last night onboard the specialty restaurants seemed overly popular.

Can you cancel a pre-booked specialty on board and re-book if a discount is offered?

On Infinity last month, we had pre booked online at the going rate for Tuscan. We were able to bring our Elite specialty rest discount coupon with us..maitre d gave us a credit for the difference., went to our on board acct.

We were offered a discount by our Tuscan waiter for the Tuscan lunch on sea day..that was a good deal.

Also picked up a discount coupon at the spa...just needed it to be signed and res made by an asst maitre d. Used that at Q sine.....

Not sure we would pre book a full package esp for a shorter cruise, but if one night is special event ,then I would pre book a res, and look for discount on board afterwards,....