Main Dinning Room Take Out

JLCMOM

I have cruised a few times (4 total), but this is the first time my husband and I will be cruising with our son on the Norwegian Breakaway. He will be 20 months old at the time of the cruise. We have really enjoyed the main dinning rooms on our past cruises, but I know you are not in and out of the main dining room quickly. I am hoping my 20 month old can sit through a few dinners (fingers crossed), but I am not too optimistic that he will be able to do a 2hr dinner, nor do I want to ruin other people's dinner. Can you order take out from the main dinning room to take back to your room or elsewhere? Of course, I have never thought to ask this before because I never had a 20 month old running around to think about. I am thinking the answer is no, but tried to do a search and couldn't find anything...

If you order your food, get started eating, and your son gets fussy, just ask a server for a cover for your food to take it with you. Sometimes, they will even send it to your room for you. I don't think you can show up and place an order to go, though.

I agree with the previous responses... never seen someone get a take out order. Especially with this new supposed policy at O'Sheehans of not allowing take out, I doubt they would allow to go orders from the main dining rooms.

But I don't see why they wouldn't let you order and then give you a cover for your food if you have to leave. And I also agree that you can really speed things up if you wanted to. If you order 3 appetizers and 2 entrees each, of course the meal will take longer. If you really wanted to, there's absolutely no reason why you couldn't ask them to serve you quickly. I think one time we were in a rush and got in and out in an hour.

I got hit by a wave of seasickness (pun not intended) when we were pulling out of port one night - not being sick, just feeling nauseous, I am never sick on a ship. The waiter offered us covers so we could take the dessert plates back to our room so we could have them later when I felt better. Half an hour later i was tucking in on the balcony like nothing had ever happened - and never ate in the MDR when due to pull out of port again so lesson learnt! :D

I have seen quite a few people do this when they have shows etc to go to.

Have a lovely trip :)

When we traveled with a toddler 2 years ago, the first evening in the MDR, we had a really wonderful waitress. She quickly asked if the little one would like something first.

Bottom line, we ended up asking for a table in her area every night, and as soon as she saw us coming, she rushed off, and returned with a bowl of pasta and butter (the little one's "thing" at the time), and then in sequence a few other things he liked, while serving us rather promptly.

She was also very nice: efficient and personable, and she paid just a little extra attention to the toddler, which kept him smiling.

We had given her a tip after that first meal, telling her how much we appreciated her assistance with the little guy, and we tipped her again each time.

(It doesn't take much of a tip to get the attention of the wait staff, given that most people do not tip extra like this. We generally tend to tip on the generous side, in part because we truly appreciate good service, and also because we are at a point in life where we can afford to do so, and that amount of money can make a bigger difference in the lives of others - on and off ships.)

We cruised with my son at 10 and at 27 months and ate in the main dining room (and specialty restaurants) several times each trip. Dinner really never took more than an hour. If he was fussy one of us would walk around with him until the food arrived. If he was still fussy we left before dessert. No big deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do know O'sheehan's does take out. I know not the MDR but I have gotten take out from O'sheehans multiple times.

Someone reported within the last week on one of the NCL ships they were not allowed to take out food from O'Sheehans. So who knows what is going on the various ships.

No OP has reason to be concerned!

A 2 hour meal absolutely does happen in the main dining rooms. During busy peak times the dining crew gets absolutely paralyzed and meals can take that long. I've sat thru many, many 2 hour meals on NCL. Many times we'd have to skip dessert after 2 hours just to make it to the show on time.

She's right to be cautious in advance. I'd probably see how it works going to dinner right as soon as they open the doors. Hopefully the dining crew won't have a chance for paralysis if you are there early. If that doesn't work, the food on the buffet is just as good as anything in the dining rooms. The atmosphere eating in the buffet isn't the same but the food is.

20 months was a really hard age for my kids. They could not sit for more than about 8-10 minutes without a loud problem. We didn't do sit down restaurant meals because it would have been a major disruption. Mixing that with the very long dinners that I know NCL is capable of would be a problem.

I'm not saying every NCL dining room meal is 2 hours but I've been a Platinum NCL member for a long time and I've sat thru many, many extra painfully long drawn out meals.

Currently on the Jade, the Daily says no take-out from Blue Lagoon (so we haven't tried) but this morning we went to breakfast in the MDR and I asked for something to take away, and the server said no problem, brought it at the end the meal with a dish cover, wrapped up some cutlery and everything.

I don't know if they would be as willing to do it for lunch or dinner, and probably not a whole 3-course meal. But we haven't tried.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

I have cruised a few times (4 total), but this is the first time my husband and I will be cruising with our son on the Norwegian Breakaway. He will be 20 months old at the time of the cruise. We have really enjoyed the main dinning rooms on our past cruises, but I know you are not in and out of the main dining room quickly. I am hoping my 20 month old can sit through a few dinners (fingers crossed), but I am not too optimistic that he will be able to do a 2hr dinner, nor do I want to ruin other people's dinner. Can you order take out from the main dinning room to take back to your room or elsewhere? Of course, I have never thought to ask this before because I never had a 20 month old running around to think about. I am thinking the answer is no, but tried to do a search and couldn't find anything...

You cannot order takeout but if you are partway through your meal and need to leave, ask your server to plate it to take the rest with you.

The OP and her 20 month old would be better off at the Buffet where mom and dad can entertain and eat and leave.

Your fellow diners will appreciate that strategy too! No one wants to spend an 1 1/2 to 2 hrs listening to a very unhappy baby! JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We traveled with 16 month old twins last December and employed many of the strategies already mentioned. In addition, at several MDR dinners one parent would be seated and order (incl dinners for the second parent and twins) and the second parent and twins would join a little later once dinner was on the table (we used iconcierge to communicate).

Seems like an awful lot of work! As a grandma I enjoy cruising and then enjoy my grand babies at home while my adult children enjoy cruising. This is my opportunity to bond and really enjoy my grandchildren. While their parents get an opportunity to rest and enjoy couple time.

Growing up our kids went with us for a weeks vacation, while we took another week of adult time alone. Of course it did not always work this way but I have always Blessed my dear Mother in Law who thought mommies and daddies needed a break. While she enjoyed being a Grandma!

do they give crayons/placemats etc at any restaurants for kids to pass the time?

We were in Complimentary Jasmine restaurant tonight aboard Jade and a young girl near us was busily coloring on a children's menu. So I would guess the answer is Yes.

Edited by NMLady

JVilleGal - We would love for some Grandma care, but unfortunately we aren't that lucky. And also, trust me, mom and dad don't want to listen to an unhappy kiddo for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs either...

Thanks for all suggestions... Good to know they have a cover for the food in case it gets loud... We will probably frequent the buffet a lot, but was curious if there was something else we could do...

Edited by JLCMOM

JVilleGal - We would love for some Grandma care, but unfortunately we aren't that lucky. And also, trust me, mom and dad don't want to listen to an unhappy kiddo for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs either...

Thanks for all suggestions... Good to know they have a cover for the food in case it gets loud... We will probably frequent the buffet a lot, but was curious if there was something else we could do...

I'm so so sorry! My grand babies are a blessing :)

Please try the sit down venues. When my kids were little (I had 5 under 7), we'd go to the Chinese buffet, because the kids liked it, and under 4 were free. One day I decided no more, I was missing out of the best part of eating out, having someone serve me. My kids ended up behaving well, and I got a break, by going to regular restaurants. This is your vacation, too. As long as you are willing to bail if it gets tough, give it a shot. The buffet can be your plan B.