Airfare $$$ may force us to cancel

momperson2

When we need to get to FLL we usually look at two other options. Miami and West Palm Beach airports.

On more than one occasion we have flown in to one of these three airports and then flown out from another airport,on another airline in order to take advantage of low fares.

Thanks for the tip. We are looking for an open jaw fare to Europe for next May and every time I check United, they have zero fares in economy forcing people to book economy flex at about $900 more for the tickets. Not happy with this.

OP, I hope you get something and that you don't have to cancel your cruise.

I got great rates one way to Europe thru ChoiceAir.

Tip for flights in general especially if you don't live in a city where there is a lot of flight competition. Try to fly out of a major hub. For example: For our last Med cruise in Europe. We looked for flights to from Phoenix. Tickets were about 1400-1600 PP RT. We checked from Los Angeles to Rome... 600 PP RT. Then we buy a southwest ticket from Phoenix to LA about 120 PP RT. Giving us ample time to collect luggage and recheck in since they are separate flights. Saved us so much money.

Also flights are not always cheapest 6 months out. That is the average cheapest. General rule with airfare... if its a deal... buy it!!!

Already booked our tickets to Europe for next year's TA on the Reflection, October 2017. We paid $500 from LA to London direct on British Airways. It is RT but we wont be using the return flight. One-way fares are typically always way more expensive than RT unless you are flying a budget airline.

We're on Reflection April 1 out of Miami. I just looked at flights the other day and was surprised at how high they seemed. Might still be a little early. We live in Chicago, so major hub. I do have 2, $300 vouchers from American Airlines (they changed our flight home last week), and was hoping that would cover most of our flights. Do you know if you can use vouchers through Choice Air?

SW won't post flights till 7 months out. We have friends who just booked for March '17 R/T Detroit/FLL for $300 pp.

SW flights for April 2017 have been posted for a while. We checked them about a month ago - and at that time they were decent, but the flight times were not optimal. We chose instead to use some frequent flier miles and fly American. We will have to pay to check our bags - but in the end we still save several hundred dollars and it will be good to use the miles. (Our [adult] children keep asking to use our frequent flier miles - so if we didn't use them chances are they would be gone before we decided to... interesting how people have no qualms about asking to use your miles when they would not likely ask you to pay for their airfare. Logically it is the same thing... you take my miles and then I won't have them and will have to purchase a flight I want. Sorry - just venting...)

We're on Reflection April 1 out of Miami. I just looked at flights the other day and was surprised at how high they seemed. Might still be a little early. We live in Chicago, so major hub. I do have 2, $300 vouchers from American Airlines (they changed our flight home last week), and was hoping that would cover most of our flights. Do you know if you can use vouchers through Choice Air?

I just checked your dates. I did March 31st to April 8th. ORD-MIA. ticket prices are about 415-500 depending on times and direct vs connection and times. This was searched on kayak.

https://www.kayak.com/flights/ORD-MIA/2017-03-31/2017-04-08

I always use kayak to search, then go directly to airline to book. as if something happens the airlines can better help you then a 3rd party. I am not sure if choice air can use vouchers. I personally would book directly with AA with those vouchers. Also, this is Spring break time ... So it is not too early to buy and I doubt prices will go down.

I just checked your dates. I did March 31st to April 8th. ORD-MIA. ticket prices are about 415-500 depending on times and direct vs connection and times. This was searched on kayak.

https://www.kayak.com/flights/ORD-MIA/2017-03-31/2017-04-08

I always use kayak to search, then go directly to airline to book. as if something happens the airlines can better help you then a 3rd party. I am not sure if choice air can use vouchers. I personally would book directly with AA with those vouchers. Also, this is Spring break time ... So it is not too early to buy and I doubt prices will go down.

Yep! This is exactly what I did. Looks like $440 ORD to MIA. Not crazy about our flight not leaving Miami until after 6pm, but if we use Luggage Valet (do they offer that on Reflection??), we can kill time and get lunch or something in Miami. (There's a 10:10am flight, but even in a suite, that's cutting it a little close for me.)

Edited by jules815

Yep! This is exactly what I did. Looks like $440 ORD to MIA. Not crazy about our flight not leaving Miami until after 6pm, but if we use Luggage Valet (do they offer that on Reflection??), we can kill time and get lunch or something in Miami. (There's a 10:10am flight, but even in a suite, that's cutting it a little close for me.)

Celebrity dumped the luggage valet program completely. It's not available on any ship or cabin category. Call and complain! I did. Sooo, whatever you do, plan to do it with your bags in tow.

We are also on this sailing. I watched everyday.

JB had a two day sale and I got the tickets RT, Direct, for 220 each. For that fare we need to stay over and fly out on Monday. Sunday was pricey and the times terrible.

Watch every day. 😊

(Our [adult] children keep asking to use our frequent flier miles - so if we didn't use them chances are they would be gone before we decided to... interesting how people have no qualms about asking to use your miles when they would not likely ask you to pay for their airfare. Logically it is the same thing... you take my miles and then I won't have them and will have to purchase a flight I want. Sorry - just venting...)

Sorry, don't want to hijack thread, just a funny note. At a recent retirement dinner sponsored by our investment advisor someone commented that the best way to maximize their assets was if the investment advisor would adopt their grown children!:D

You might want to check Spirit they fly direct to Fll from Dtw daily.

J.

I always avoid any extreme low cost airline like spirit and frontier. Their hidden fees, horrible times and lack of service makes me avoid them. Not to mention their lack of planes and partnerships. If something happens with a delay or cancelled flight on a main carrier or SWA flight, they will reroute or rebook on another airlines or get another plane. When you are going on a trip like a cruise and need to get to a ship.. I personally am not taking risks to save 100 bucks.

Celebrity dumped the luggage valet program completely. It's not available on any ship or cabin category. Call and complain! I did. Sooo, whatever you do, plan to do it with your bags in tow.

I didn't know that! I will call and complain.

Another option would be doing some type of excursion that shuttles us to the airport. I guess I could look into that option too.

19 hour drive if you get desperate.

We did this once. Drove from Edmonton Alberta Canada to Long Beach.

It was our Spring break and flights were outrageously expensive.

26 hours each way. 5 states in one day. A zillion movies for the back seat passengers. Good memories!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

We are supposed to cruise on April 2, 2017 Silhouette. I have been watching airfare for serveral months. We got a decent deal on our cruise, a balcony 9 th deck on the slant--supposed to be one of the biggest ones on slant---drink package AND a $650 OBC. BUT, airfare is $$$$--- leaving out of Detroit to FLL we can't find anything for under $1,500!!!! And this is for flights with stops and not best times (direct flights $1,800 and up) Since I work for the schools And MUST be to work on Monday-- flying home next day is not a option. ☹️️.

But if we decide to cancel, if someone is interested in this cabin (port side, on slant, middle of ship) let me know and will give u heads up. Very bumm book this over a year ago--- hope the airline fairy drops price

We've have booked many cruises 4-5 months out and have also found reasonable airfares to match [emoji3]

So don't despair yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got great rates one way to Europe thru ChoiceAir.

Thanks Isabella, we would definitely use choice air if we were sailing with Celebrity. This is a river cruise.

As for staying away from United, we get perks with them that are substantial so we hold our noses and stick with them. I just don't know if they are playing games with blocking certain classes of fares and then will release more as time goes by.

OP, have you looked at Choice Air?

Check Southwest & nearby airports. We are driving this time as there are 4 of us now (From Atlanta) and flying isn't cheap during this time. We flew into Palm Beach last time and took the trirail all the way down to Miami. It was so long, but totally worth the money we saved. We fly back from Fort Lauderdale and took the trirail back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Coming from ATL too but only two of us, booked DL back at the end of May, snagged a decent fare - $422 total ($211 each) for both of us into FLL :) but was checking DTW to phi/fll/mia for the parents last week and yikes fares have been ugly but as many have said there are ok fares out there if you dig

Edited by oroszdb

Where are you leaving from? I usually cross to Niagara Falls NY to fly to FLL or Miami for $200-$350 round trip a few times a year. Hundreds less than flying out of Canada.

We do the same we are on this years Mardi Gras cruise and are flying back March 3rd that is Bike week in Daytona plus March Break for lots of Canadians.

We will drive to Buffalo stay in a Park Sleep & Fly Hotel the night before for $75.00USD which gives us free 21 days of parking.

We are able to fly down on SW and back on JB for $380.00USD for the two of us.

Our friends joining us are paying $750.00CDN each from Toronto we saved enough on the flight to justify going down a week early, renting a car for the 7 days and a VRBO cottage in Las Olas for the price of their flights.

To each their own.

It is only 1700 miles. You can make it driving in 2 days or 3 days max. I am seeing one way car rentals for around $500. Drive.

DON

That's ridiculous. They aren't moving there--- they would have to drive BACK, too.

Edited by denatravels

That's ridiculous. They aren't moving there--- they would have to drive BACK, too.

The gas would cost about $350.00 for that distance round trip, I just did Myrtle Beach for a week of golf with 3 other guys in a vehicle from Toronto.

Add 4 nights accommodation at $75.00 a night on the road plus meals so no real savings and you would need a vacation when you get back to rest from all that driving.

Just watch for flight deals they will come.