Need passport number to check in on Norwegian, how about other lines?

mamasylvia

No I can't point to anything specific, it comes from reading a lot of threads and noticing passengers being told they can't catch up to the ship after missing it at the first port. It appears to be a cruise line call (and may have something to do with passenger manifest processing).

I have met people three different times who boarded the ship after having missed it at port of embarkation: twice at St. Thomas (one from Norfolk, VA and one from Ft. Lauderdale), and once at Livorno on a sailing from Rome. I do not think it can be a terribly unusual happening.

I have met people three different times who boarded the ship after having missed it at port of embarkation: twice at St. Thomas (one from Norfolk, VA and one from Ft. Lauderdale), and once at Livorno on a sailing from Rome. I do not think it can be a terribly unusual happening.

It depends on the cruise line and the circumstances and it very well may only be the cruise lines that I'm familiar with (CCL, NCL, RCCL). I know that if I missed the ship I would certainly try to catch up with the ship at the first foreign port if possible but I would be checking with my cruise line first to make sure it would be allowed.

Could you expand upon or provide references to catching up at a future port being extremely limited and not allowed by the cruise lines?

We always fly in a day early and have passpoers, but figured that this would be an option if things really turn sour.

It's rare that it happens.

A few years ago ships left early from Puerto Rico because of a huge storm. Those who missed the ship had to fly to the first port of call. Without a passport you couldn't catch up with the ship.

If you miss embarkation on a northbound Alaska cruise, Vancouver to Seward/Whitter you're just SOL. At least southbound you could meet the ship the last day.

Edited by SadieN

No I can't point to anything specific, it comes from reading a lot of threads and noticing passengers being told they can't catch up to the ship after missing it at the first port. It appears to be a cruise line call (and may have something to do with passenger manifest processing).

I think it has to do with changing a closed-loop trip into a non-closed loop for those in the Caribbean and the SoCa to Mexico. I believe on those, if you miss the embarkation, you can catch up at the next port IF you have a passport and you get the approval of the cruise line to join at the next port. For those Alaska cruises, I have not been on one, but I bet it has the same issue.

I think it has to do with changing a closed-loop trip into a non-closed loop for those in the Caribbean and the SoCa to Mexico. I believe on those, if you miss the embarkation, you can catch up at the next port IF you have a passport and you get the approval of the cruise line to join at the next port. For those Alaska cruises, I have not been on one, but I bet it has the same issue.

This would most likely be a consideration in an itinerary where the "next port" was also a US port - say Key West - after the closed loop cruise sailed from Miami - boarding in Key West to ultimately debark in Miami would likely be problematic.

This would most likely be a consideration in an itinerary where the "next port" was also a US port - say Key West - after the closed loop cruise sailed from Miami - boarding in Key West to ultimately debark in Miami would likely be problematic.

Forgot about the "starting/ending in same port" part of closed-loop...

I entered my passport number other info to check in for our Princess cruise next month. The online form wouldn't accept it because my passport would have expired before the cruise. So I made up dates. That reminds me, I need to go back and enter the correct info for my new passport. It came last week.