Need passport number to check in on Norwegian, how about other lines?

mamasylvia

Finished paying for our cruise next year and started check in. (No, I'm not in a hurry, what makes you think that? lol) To my surprise, I had to supply either passport number or green card number for my Canadian-citizen husband. We didn't have to supply that for our RCI Caribbean cruise 3 years ago. Have things changed or is Norwegian just unusually intrusive?

Finished paying for our cruise next year and started check in. (No, I'm not in a hurry, what makes you think that? lol) To my surprise, I had to supply either passport number or green card number for my Canadian-citizen husband. We didn't have to supply that for our RCI Caribbean cruise 3 years ago. Have things changed or is Norwegian just unusually intrusive?

What documents did your hubby use last cruise ?

It may be a requirement for non US Citizens to have a passport number

We always need a passport to cruise

I would call NCL & ask maybe they can input the info for you at their end

Edited by LHT28

> Alaskan cruises require higher level of identity than a Caribbean cruise does

That is not what their website indicates. There is no caveat in the Alaska cruise listings that you need a passport and the shore excursions mostly state that a passport is not required.

I don't remember having to give any document numbers for check in last time, we were just warned that we might be asked for ID at any of the ports and would need passport or DL for customs at Ft. Lauderdale.

So yes, I consider it intrusive to ask for information they are not required to obtain. If they are required to get it, that is different.

This is a round trip from Seattle. If a US citizen you only need birth certificate and dl.

From NCL's site,

Non US Citizens, ALL GUESTS MUST CARRY A VALID PASSPORT.

All Non-U.S. Citizen Guests Must Carry A Valid Passport, (Not Expiring within (6) Months of Return Of Your Cruise). In addition, a tourist visa may be required for entry into certain countries/ports of call. To confirm the specific documents required, please be sure to check with the proper authorities (such as your local immigration office) for each port that you are entering. You can also contact VisaCentral to answer your questions.

U.S. Alien Resident Card (ARC) Holders

U. S. Alien Residents holding an ARC, also known as a "Green Card" may travel to Mexico and the Caribbean with just their valid ARC and Proof of Identity. However, it’s recommended that these guests also carry their passports from their country of citizenship if available. In some instances, ARC holders may still be required to have travel permits and/or visas to enter countries Norwegian Cruise Line visits in these destinations.

Canadian Residency Permit (CRP) holders

Canadian Residency Permit (CRP) holders who are NOT in possession of their permanent resident papers or a valid Temporary Resident Visa will be denied boarding if the ship visits any Canadian port during the cruise. In addition, the Canadian resident can be refused re-entry into Canada without their proper resident documentation.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

That is not what their website indicates. There is no caveat in the Alaska cruise listings that you need a passport and the shore excursions mostly state that a passport is not required.

I don't remember having to give any document numbers for check in last time, we were just warned that we might be asked for ID at any of the ports and would need passport or DL for customs at Ft. Lauderdale.

So yes, I consider it intrusive to ask for information they are not required to obtain. If they are required to get it, that is different.

The cruisline is required to document that all passengers that have boarded are eligible to return to the USA at the end of the cruise, as well as they do not require a visa for any of the port calls.

For a closed loop cruise from the USA a Canadian citizen is required to show one of the following documents, as per the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI):

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

Canadian citizens can present a valid passport, Enhanced Driver’s License, or Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST).

and as a green card holder this also applies:

Requirements for lawful permanent residents of the United States are not changed by the implementation of WHTI. Lawful permanent residents must continue to present a valid Permanent Resident Card. A passport is not required.

NCL is in no way being intrusive. They are actually exercising far better preemptive measures than RCI did three years ago to insure neither you nor anyone else shows up to board the ship with insufficient documentation.

Intrusive? No. Alaskan cruises require higher level of identity than a Caribbean cruise does. You can't do an Alaska cruise with driver's license and birth certificate.

That's incorrect. If the cruise is closed loop originating and ending in the same US port, such as Seattle to Seattle, the requirements for a US citizen are identical to a closed loop Caribbean cruise. A US citizen is permitted by CBP rules to cruise using an official government agency birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Most luxury cruise lines require all passengers on any itinerary to have a passport, even if the government regulations do not require it, but that is not the case for mass market lines such as NCL, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, as well as their somewhat more upscale but still mass market cousins such as Celebrity, Holland America and Princess.

In Alaska there are certain shore excursions that cross into Canada and then return to the ship in Alaska that require a passport, passport card or other WHTI-compliant document because they involve a land border crossing. You can't take those particular excursions having just a birth certificate, but you are permitted to cruise as well as take other excursions that do not cross into Canada and return to the US.

You are required to provide that information, and with no disrespect intended, if you don't remember having to do that on a prior cruise, you've forgotten that you actually did. NCL is not making anything up and is not asking for anything that is not required by every cruise line, for the simple reason that it's required by United States Customs and Border Protection regulations.

Why would you think that asking to verify country of residence identification for security and international travel regulations is "intrusive"?

And RCI does require this - our TA has it on file to facilitate her check in for us with each cruise.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I don't have a passport and have never had trouble "checking in"...you know, you don't even HAVE to do the online thing...

But not having a passport and using a birth certificate and valid picture ID instead would only allow you to travel on US based closed loop itineraries, at least with RCI.

But not having a passport and using a birth certificate and valid picture ID instead would only allow you to travel on US based closed loop itineraries, at least with RCI.

There are some people who can only travel that way. That's the way it was for us for years.

This type of thread always gets our interest because its kind of silly when some folks seem to have agandas regarding Passports. So, keep in mind there are at least 3 different sets of rules involved. 1. The US Government rules regarding "Closed Loop" Cruises. 2. The Canadian Immigration rules. and 3. The Cruise Line's rules....which is also very important and oft forgotten by some posters. Regardless of US or Canadian requirements (or any other country), the cruise lines have complete autonomy if they decide to implement tougher requirements. So if a cruise line decides that everyone must have a valid Passport, then it is not relevant what the US or Canada (or any other country) requires. In fact, there are quite a few cruise lines that now require that everyone have at least 6 months remaining on their Passports when none of the visited countries have this requirement. And there are other weird requirements such as taking the White Pass and Yukon Railroad excursion on an Alaskan cruise (which requires a Passport).

My point to cruisers is do not plan your cruise totally dependent on Passport info you get here on CC. You also need to check with your own cruise line because they might simply adopt more stringent rules which may be enforced at embarkation....regardless of what you might read here on CC.

Personally, as frequent international travelers (more then 6 months a year outside the US) we would not dream of going anywhere outside the USA without valid Passports good for at least 6 months after our scheduled return. Some might call this "not necessary" but we see it as simple "Travel Sense" which means playing it safe for any contingency.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

This type of thread always gets our interest because its kind of silly when some folks seem to have agandas regarding Passports. So, keep in mind there are at least 3 different sets of rules involved. 1. The US Government rules regarding "Closed Loop" Cruises. 2. The Canadian Immigration rules. and 3. The Cruise Line's rules....which is also very important and oft forgotten by some posters. Regardless of US or Canadian requirements (or any other country), the cruise lines have complete autonomy if they decide to implement tougher requirements. So if a cruise line decides that everyone must have a valid Passport, then it is not relevant what the US or Canada (or any other country) requires. In fact, there are quite a few cruise lines that now require that everyone have at least 6 months remaining on their Passports when none of the visited countries have this requirement. And there are other weird requirements such as taking the White Pass and Yukon Railroad excursion on an Alaskan cruise (which requires a Passport).

My point to cruisers is do not plan your cruise totally dependent on Passport info you get here on CC. You also need to check with your own cruise line because they might simply adopt more stringent rules which may be enforced at embarkation....regardless of what you might read here on CC.

Personally, as frequent international travelers (more then 6 months a year outside the US) we would not dream of going anywhere outside the USA without valid Passports good for at least 6 months after our scheduled return. Some might call this "not necessary" but we see it as simple "Travel Sense" which means playing it safe for any contingency.

Hank

With that much travel yes, it is certainly prudent to have a passport (especially if any of said travel actually requires it ;)).

With that much travel yes, it is certainly prudent to have a passport (especially if any of said travel actually requires it ;)).

Not really. The truth is that with any international travel it is "prudent" to have a valid Passport. Can we take a closed loop cruise without a Passport? Absolutely....as long as the cruise line permits it. Would we take a closed loop cruise without a Passport? No way. There have been many threads on CC about the issue....so we will leave it at that.

But there was a recent story about a family of 4 (on a closed loop cruise) who missed their cruise and lost their money (paid for the cruise) because 1 member of their family did not have a valid Passport. These unfortunate souls missed their Florida departure because of a mechanical problem that delayed their flight (for over 4 hours). By the time they got to the port they had missed their cruise. The airline (Southwest) was willing to get them to the first port (in Mexico) but that was not possible because they all needed to have valid Passports. So they missed their cruise and lost their money. And there are other examples of what can happen without a Passport (such as needed to leave a ship in mid-cruise to get home for an emergency).

Bottom line is a Passport is just insurance on closed loop cruises. But it is good insurance :). For those who elect not to obtain a Passport, they are simply rolling the dice.

Hank

Not really. The truth is that with any international travel it is "prudent" to have a valid Passport. Can we take a closed loop cruise without a Passport? Absolutely....as long as the cruise line permits it. Would we take a closed loop cruise without a Passport? No way. There have been many threads on CC about the issue....so we will leave it at that.

But there was a recent story about a family of 4 (on a closed loop cruise) who missed their cruise and lost their money (paid for the cruise) because 1 member of their family did not have a valid Passport. These unfortunate souls missed their Florida departure because of a mechanical problem that delayed their flight (for over 4 hours). By the time they got to the port they had missed their cruise. The airline (Southwest) was willing to get them to the first port (in Mexico) but that was not possible because they all needed to have valid Passports. So they missed their cruise and lost their money. And there are other examples of what can happen without a Passport (such as needed to leave a ship in mid-cruise to get home for an emergency).

Bottom line is a Passport is just insurance on closed loop cruises. But it is good insurance :). For those who elect not to obtain a Passport, they are simply rolling the dice.

Hank

Yes, missing the ship at point of embarkation is a risk one takes when not having a passport but the instances where one can catch up with the ship at a future port are extremely limited and in most cases is not allowed by the cruise line (even if a carrier agrees to provide the transportation). This is a stronger argument for good cruise insurance. As I have said repeatedly everyone's travel needs are different. Every traveler isn't as fortunate as you are to travel so frequently. If they can only travel by closed loop cruise once every year or two then it's up to them to examine their individual risks and to determine if the cost of a passport is warranted.

I don't have a passport and have never had trouble "checking in"...you know, you don't even HAVE to do the online thing...

Assuming you are a US citizen, of course you do not need a passport for a Western Hemisphere closed loop cruise - OP was referring to a non-US person, so your experience is not relevant.

Yes, missing the ship at point of embarkation is a risk one takes when not having a passport but the instances where one can catch up with the ship at a future port are extremely limited and in most cases is not allowed by the cruise line (even if a carrier agrees to provide the transportation). This is a stronger argument for good cruise insurance. As I have said repeatedly everyone's travel needs are different. Every traveler isn't as fortunate as you are to travel so frequently. If they can only travel by closed loop cruise once every year or two then it's up to them to examine their individual risks and to determine if the cost of a passport is warranted.

Could you expand upon or provide references to catching up at a future port being extremely limited and not allowed by the cruise lines?

We always fly in a day early and have passpoers, but figured that this would be an option if things really turn sour.

Could you expand upon or provide references to catching up at a future port being extremely limited and not allowed by the cruise lines?

We always fly in a day early and have passpoers, but figured that this would be an option if things really turn sour.

No I can't point to anything specific, it comes from reading a lot of threads and noticing passengers being told they can't catch up to the ship after missing it at the first port. It appears to be a cruise line call (and may have something to do with passenger manifest processing).