Ugliest cruise ship afloat?

kwazi07

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Yes - but the beholder has to be given something to work with. When everything is ugly, the least ugly looks better than the rest -- but I defy anyone with a working eye to seriously describe any 3,000+ passenger ship as anything better than "utilitarian".

Everyone is talking about the back of some of the Princess Grand class ships, which I agree is hideous, but I've always kind of thought that the front of those ships looks like Dr. Finkelstein (his mouth at least) from The Nightmare Before Christmas.

The bow is definitely part of what makes those ships ugly. It's not just the aft lounge. My wife calls those ships "bucktooth wonder."

Dr. Finkelstein....that's perfect! I was trying to figure out who it resembled.

I'm intrigued by MSC's upcoming ship, Seaside, but I find it u-g-l-y.

WOW! And I thought Epic was bad. Thought that way before we saw Epic in Barcelona where it was confirmed. First impression was the forward section on top looks like a stack of containers on a cargo ship. Without that it might actually be a normal looking ship except for the black stack cover. But MSC really blew it with the sharp demarcation from the "hull" bottom to the cabin stack on top - that bottom really does look barge like.

The least ugly (actually quite graceful) ships we've been on are RCCL Radiance class. Nice lines inside and out.

Funny to read the negative opinions of Carnival Pride. We live near Baltimore so we did a 1-week Bahamas cruise as a Carnival taster. It was a cloudy day when we boarded and I couldn't believe how dark the lobby was. Unfortunately the whole experience put us off Carnival as a line in the future.

For interior ugly I pick the Carnival Legend. There must be around a million stencils of the same Greek urn on every square inch of the interior.

Second place is the Epic with ugly partial black exterior section and overall dark interior.

Edited by cruzincurt

I think all of the huge new ships have pretty darn ugly profiles -- they are just too big and too bulky to look graceful.

Swan Hellenic's Minerva is a nice looking & trim little ship: https://d19lgisewk9l6l.cloudfront.net/assetbank/MV_Minerva_Swan_Hellenic_40772.jpg

Haven't really been on any ships with totally ugly interiors, though I still recall thinking that the main show lounge on HAL's Zuiderdam was very unattractive (pink and orange).

It looks like it has outside dining in the back. If it does that's a step in the right direction.

I know it has a bank of glass elevators over looking the aft pool, with an aft view of the ocean. There is going to be a Crepetie and a lounge out back just forward of the pool. This ship will be our first MSC experience (we did score an inside Yacht Club cabin) Kind of cool.:)

Yes - but the beholder has to be given something to work with. When everything is ugly, the least ugly looks better than the rest -- but I defy anyone with a working eye to seriously describe any 3,000+ passenger ship as anything better than "utilitarian".

I think some of the large ships are more attractive than others. I'm partial to Disney ships because of their classic look. This is the Dream, which holds 4000 passengers at max capacity. May not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think she's beautiful!

1e0eda78cedaf8e496cc3d0156f5904e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another vote for Epic being the ugliest... plus I hated the bathroom setup! No privacy and hated the small sink in the room. I also think Fantasy-class Carnival ships are really hideous both inside and out. The neon reminds me of the 80's and the exterior looks very ugly and dated.

I think some of the large ships are more attractive than others. I'm partial to Disney ships because of their classic look. This is the Dream, which holds 4000 passengers at max capacity. May not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think she's beautiful!

It looks top heavy. The DCL Classic ships are beautiful, but the new ships, disappointing at best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It looks top heavy. The DCL Classic ships are beautiful, but the new ships, disappointing at best.

I agree. The Classic DCL ships are so nice...Dream and Fantasy look a little disproportionate with five decks of balconies. But those two are still better looking than any other mainstream ship, in my opinion.

I used my phone to type this, excuse any typos please!

Edited by kwazi07

Agreed that the dark hull - similar to that on Cunard and HAL ships - contributes a classic look - but the many layers of balconies impose an apartment building accent which defies the use of "beautiful" in a description.

Take a look at smaller HAL ships - R and S Class, and Prinsendam for a true classic look.

I've been on one.

The inside matches the outside.

Refined, it's not.

7263359254ab14dc587f1b8.75505217-1253133765.jpg

I've been on 2 cruises- both Carnival. The old ships remind me of cheesy Las Vegas or Reno in the old days.

I'm really looking forward to my first RCCL cruise on Allure this January.

Yes, but those old Carnival ships are just plain fun!!! The colors are great if you're in the right mood. It just says "let loose and relax." And while the welded on balconies on the side of the ship might not look good on the outside, they are WONDERFUL suites on the inside. Those balconies are huge. We got an up-sell call a couple of years ago and loved it.

Yes, but those old Carnival ships are just plain fun!!!

Depends on what your idea of fun is. Getting headaches from being surrounded by the gaudy, neon interiors of these ships is not my idea of fun. ;)

The colors are great if you're in the right mood.

To be "in the right mood" I would have to be high on something - very, very high! On something very, very strong! :D

Edited by sloopsailor

Depends on what your idea of fun is. Getting headaches from being surrounded by the gaudy, neon interiors of these ships is not my idea of fun. ;)

To be "in the right mood" I would have to be high on something - very, very high! On something very, very strong! :D

Agree. Nothing tranquil to say "relax" to me there. Relaxing is soft, neutral tones and real wood, not neon and chrome. That says 80's disco, and throbbing headache from loud music, low end booze, and far too much cheap cologne.

Agree. Nothing tranquil to say "relax" to me there. Relaxing is soft, neutral tones and real wood, not neon and chrome. That says 80's disco, and throbbing headache from loud music, low end booze, and far too much cheap cologne.

Glad we're all different!!! For me, the colors are exhilarating. Never had a headache from the music and the drinks I've ordered have been good. (Don't use cologne). On the other hand, the older ship Carnival prices have let us upgrade our balconies, so we spend quite a bit of time out there. Maybe that's how we survive it.

Glad we're all different!!! For me, the colors are exhilarating. Never had a headache from the music and the drinks I've ordered have been good. (Don't use cologne). On the other hand, the older ship Carnival prices have let us upgrade our balconies, so we spend quite a bit of time out there. Maybe that's how we survive it.

Somehow I don't think "relax" and "exhilarating" are synonymous. You've used both to describe the decor. I don't think I'm the one who is confused.

Somehow I don't think "relax" and "exhilarating" are synonymous. You've used both to describe the decor. I don't think I'm the one who is confused.

Agreed - "exhilaration" gleaned from outside colors and sounds is incompatible with relaxation. To the extent exhilaration can be internally developed (think contemplation, for example) it is a wholly different thing. Contemplation is difficult when surrounded by flashing lights, garish colors and throbbing sounds.

Agreed - "exhilaration" gleaned from outside colors and sounds is incompatible with relaxation. To the extent exhilaration can be internally developed (think contemplation, for example) it is a wholly different thing. Contemplation is difficult when surrounded by flashing lights, garish colors and throbbing sounds.

I agree! The Carnival Ecstasy is a perfect example. We had two cruises on this ship and enjoyed both, but the décor and noise. . . :eek:

That being said, the best experience we ever had on a Carnival ship was celebrating our anniversary in the legendary Owner's Suite.

Different strokes for different folks. My wife loves small ships like HAL's Maasdam. She says the overall appeal is the classic, traditional appearance, as well as the atmosphere being conducive to relaxation.

I, on the other hand, prefer the larger RC ships with the Royal Promenade. She says they're ugly. We haven't been on any of the "big sisters" yet, but I'm working on it.;)

It's great to have so many choices! Cruising is a fantastic way to travel!

1705230.jpg

This might take the win, Costa NeoRomantica... OMG!

Epic is ugly, but I had a fantastic time onboard her back in 2011.

norwegian-epic.jpg

The black/blue on top of the ship in the front makes it look even stranger.

cruisemagic-ncl-epic-ship.png?bc0051

Without the dark paint.

norwegian_epic_side.gif

0cc6995c-41f7-4599-a323-c6ec0a24ab17-C6XP7_1_600x400.jpg

The aft is desiged with a stone axe...