Ugliest cruise ship afloat?

kwazi07

Keeping in mind the original discussion was about outdoor dining areas that are aft and close to the water (e.g., not 14 floors up), I would like to know what ships you're thinking of. They are not on the lines I've sailed with....

I'd be interested also. Grills don't count....I'm looking for areas attached to the main buffet, open to everyone, no extra charge or reservations.

My apologies. I missed the detail about the dining area being down close to the water. Although, on the open sea, I'm not sure what difference it makes.

Buggins, All Celebrity ships have it...the nicest of which are on Solstice Class...and all Royal Caribbean Radiance Class, Princess Royal Class, Oceania ships and the Norwegian Sky.

But again, these are larger mass market ships (except Oceania maybe) on which these venues are usually around deck 10 or higher.

I'd be interested also. Grills don't count....I'm looking for areas attached to the main buffet, open to everyone, no extra charge or reservations.

My apologies. I missed the detail about the dining area being down close to the water. Although, on the open sea, I'm not sure what difference it makes.

Buggins, All Celebrity ships have it...the nicest of which are on Solstice Class...and all Royal Caribbean Radiance Class, Princess Royal Class, Oceania ships and the Norwegian Sky.

But again, these are larger mass market ships (except Oceania maybe) on which these venues are usually around deck 10 or higher.

Actually, the "ugly" Carnival Fantasy class ships have a really nice dining area facing the wake attached to the aft buffet. I ate early breakfasts there every morning on my cruise on Paradise.

Sent from Tapatalk

Actually, the "ugly" Carnival Fantasy class ships have a really nice dining area facing the wake attached to the aft buffet. I ate early breakfasts there every morning on my cruise on Paradise.

Sent from Tapatalk

I've sailed on the Fantasy and don't recall any area like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've sailed on the Fantasy and don't recall any area like that.

Its there. We ate breakfast a couple of times in that area. Its an outdoor space that wraps around the aft portion of the ship outside the buffet. Its not very pretty and some of the tables looked to be in very poor condition, but it was nice being able to dine "alfresco".

Its there. We ate breakfast a couple of times in that area. Its an outdoor space that wraps around the aft portion of the ship outside the buffet. Its not very pretty and some of the tables looked to be in very poor condition, but it was nice being able to dine "alfresco".

Aww, that's a shame. On Paradise, it was really clean and pleasant...but it was four years ago and had a drydock a year before our sailing.

Sent from Tapatalk

Thanks, that helps because it is a hot button for us. I know Oceania ships all have very nice outside dining.

I was just about to write to say I don't remember the Celebrity outside dining, until it clicked....that outside buffet, with some of the same offerings found inside near the aft bar!!! O's is nicer, but yes, it was pretty nice out there. It's been a while since we've sailed Celebrity.

I'm not to fussy about how high up we are as long as we're outside with a nice selection of food. Thanks again for the list. I would imagine Azamara and all the luxury lines would have some outside dining. On Oceania ships the outside dining is on 9 on the small R class ships and 12 on the larger O class ships.

Edited by buggins0402

Exterior Ugly winners: NCL Epic and the forthcoming MSC Seaside

Interior Ugly:

Carnival Splendor honorable mention - who can forget that hideous black wallpaper with pink dots all over the atrium? Or the giant blue Fu Dogs over the thalisotherapy pool in the spa?

Carnival Legend - just terrible overall

Carnival Dream - not only ugly decor with what looks like red plastic drinking glasses as light fixtures including chandeliers in the MDR, a lot of it is busted up. This ship convinced me NOT to go on any Carnival ships older than the Dream.

Exterior Ugly winners: NCL Epic and the forthcoming MSC Seaside

Interior Ugly:

Carnival Splendor honorable mention - who can forget that hideous black wallpaper with pink dots all over the atrium? Or the giant blue Fu Dogs over the thalisotherapy pool in the spa?

Carnival Legend - just terrible overall

Carnival Dream - not only ugly decor with what looks like red plastic drinking glasses as light fixtures including chandeliers in the MDR, a lot of it is busted up. This ship convinced me NOT to go on any Carnival ships older than the Dream.

Splendor and Legend are both older than the Dream...did they confirm your assumption? Or is it a mistake. The only ones younger than the Dream are Magic, Breeze, and Vista.

Sent from Tapatalk

It really isn't as bad as it seems. The concept of lounging and pool areas down low on the ship closer to water level is pretty interesting, especially so close to the wake of the ship. This photo from their website looks promising for a popular area to spend time in. It is actually pretty innovative, and a departure from the typical blunt wall of balcony cabins most ships have these days at the stern.

edit1.jpg

It's bold and innovative for sure! I like how the life boats are "tucked" under the promenade deck away from view. Since this ship is just now under construction, we will have to wait for the final product before passing judgement.

Each time I look at it, I like it more than my original impression.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

It's bold and innovative for sure! I like how the life boats are "tucked" under the promenade deck away from view. Since this ship is just now under construction, we will have to wait for the final product before passing judgement.

Each time I look at it, I like it more than my original impression.

Enjoy!

Interesting how the life boats are placed - it seems to indicate the need for substantial space inboard of them to allow for boarding - which is usually accommodated on the promenade deck.

Interesting how the life boats are placed - it seems to indicate the need for substantial space inboard of them to allow for boarding - which is usually accommodated on the promenade deck.

nbt,

I agree! I thought the narrow (like 10' wide) promenade deck of the Star Princess would not allow safe boarding of the life boats, in fact, I told my wife that it seemed very dangerous.

There must be some large internal areas parallel to the life boat deck on this new Seaside ship? Time will tell, as I won't be able to check it out until March, 2018.

Enjoy!

Looks like the lifeboats would have to move laterally outward before being lowered. Perhaps (just conjecture) they're loaded after moving outward but before being lowered, and the deck area visible below the lifeboats becomes the loading platform.

Uw,

Good point! You may be correct?

Edited by kelmac

Like the new Princess hulls?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Those are relatively mild, being just one color, but I still don't care for them, and I sail only with Princess.

I much prefer the clean white hulls of the past ... much classier!

It really isn't as bad as it seems. The concept of lounging and pool areas down low on the ship closer to water level is pretty interesting, especially so close to the wake of the ship. This photo from their website looks promising for a popular area to spend time in. It is actually pretty innovative, and a departure from the typical blunt wall of balcony cabins most ships have these days at the stern.

edit1.jpg

Kind of has an Art Deco look on the aft view. Collins Ave Miami anyone? First impression was not good, but I like it now! :D

Enjoy!

Edited by kelmac

Kind of has an Art Deco look on the aft view. Collins Ave Miami anyone? First impression was not good, but I like it now! :D

Enjoy!

With the full length promenade deck on both sides of the ship that is out in the open and not covered like most, and the pool and lounging areas at the rear near sea level, it reminds me of boardwalks at beach resorts, in particular North Beach in Miami.

It should be quite popular with promenade deck fans.

MSC-Seaside-12-1.jpg

MSC-Seaside-9-1.jpg

msc-cruises-seaside-promenade-gallery.jpg

Edited by sloopsailor

With the full length promenade deck on both sides of the ship that is out in the open and not covered like most, and the pool and lounging areas at the rear near sea level, it reminds me of boardwalks at beach resorts, in particular North Beach in Miami.

It should be quite popular with promenade deck fans.

MSC-Seaside-12-1.jpg

MSC-Seaside-9-1.jpg

msc-cruises-seaside-promenade-gallery.jpg

Bicycles on the promenade deck - really?