New or Old Locks when choosing cruise?

Cruise4Fun2Sun

Would like to do a PC cruise. However, with new locks now open there is the opportunity to go through the old locks or the new ones. Should this be a deciding factor when choosing the cruise?

A secondary question relates to full vs partial transit. Ports would be different, of course, and missing the Pacific side locks and the Bridge of Americas. But any other pro/ con arguments for full or partial?

Currently booked on a WBPC in 2018, full transit Florida to San Diego going through new locks (ship too big for old locks), however, dates may not work so am looking at other options. Expect to travel with 10/11yo child.

Thanks in advance

If you look down the board, you will see many threads on the pros/cons of full or partial transits. Full is commonly recommended, and is our favorite and recommendation. We have 2 full and 1 partial, with a full booked for next October.

The reasons for preference of partial is usually shorter cruise, and airfare considerations.

I for one am anxious to give the new locks a spin. However I have a feeling that for those who have experienced the legacy locks, a passage through the new locks just might be a little underwhelming. There are a number of differences between the two... the old locks have the parallel lane providing with a view of another large ship locking through the locks, the use of the "mules" at the old locks is something rather unique, a Panamax ship will use about 95% of the lock chamber. The absence of a comfortable margin of space with the side of your ship just a foot or so from all that unforgiving concrete is noteworthy. Meanwhile at the new locks you will just have the single lane, no mules only two tugs which won't really be seen easily, and the largest of ships will only use no more than 2/3s of the chamber. The passage through the new locks tends to be a bit slower as a lockage takes close to three hours. Doesn't seem to me that there will be as much visual appeal at the new locks compared to the old locks.

Having said all that, it will still be a wonderful experience and keep in mind the locks are just one part of the puzzle. Of course the locks do seem to attract more of the attention, I guess that is because they are the "works" of the Canal.

Having just returned from a PC cruise (our second) and seeing the new locks, my advice for a first timer is definitely the old locks.

The history/engineering/politics behind it adds tremendously to the experience.

Even though we had been through it before, we still watched two videos on the history of the canal. Plus this trip we found different vantage points to watch from.

Try to read Path Between the Seas before going.

The old canal is totally fascinating in my book.

• 2 weeks later...
Just beginning to look at Panama Canal cruises. How do you know if the cruise you're considering would go through old or new locks?

The number of cruise ships that are scheduled to use the new locks are few in number at this time, of course that number is likely to increase as time goes by. Right now only the Caribbean Princess, Carnival Splendor and the Disney Wonder have announced transits using the new locks. If you would like to check on your own whether the ship you are considering, just Google the ship name... look for the length and beam. Most of the time an inset on the top right of the page will appear from Wikipedia providing that info. A length of 965' or less is important, however a beam of 106' is crucial. A ship cannot have a length greater than 965' or a beam greater than 106' to use the old locks. Many ships like the Caribbean Princess and Carnival Splendor or under the 965' (951 actually) but exceed the 106' cap. So the new locks is the only option. Ships that are 965x106 and under, baring extenuating circumstances will use the old locks.

• 5 weeks later...
Right now only the Caribbean Princess, Carnival Splendor and the Disney Wonder have announced transits using the new locks.

Ships that are 965x106 and under, baring extenuating circumstances will use the old locks.

Just booked the Coral Princess for 2018. It indicates "new locks" even though she's small enough to use the old locks. A bit bummed about that as I would've liked to experience the old locks from the water (I have seen them from the shore on land vacations). But at the same time, I'm looking forward to seeing the new locks for the first time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just booked the Coral Princess for 2018. It indicates "new locks" even though she's small enough to use the old locks. A bit bummed about that as I would've liked to experience the old locks from the water (I have seen them from the shore on land vacations). But at the same time, I'm looking forward to seeing the new locks for the first time!

At this point I would be surprised if the CP actually uses the new locks, of course you can never discount extenuating circumstances or a special arrangement. Presently they are only running 4 to 5 ships per day through the new locks with plans to bump that number up in time to around 12 ships per day. So there may be some reluctance on the Canal's part to give up a transit slot with a higher dollar value to a ship that won't be paying the top dollar fare.

If you wind up going through the new locks, just schedule another cruise that hopefully will use the old ones:)! That way you can check off both of those boxes!!

I am curious...where did you see a note about 'new locks' for the Coral Princess?

If you go to the Princess website, some sailings will have the words "new locks" in parenthesis right after the title of the sailing. I just looked again and some sailings have it and some don't.

If you go to the Princess website, some sailings will have the words "new locks" in parenthesis right after the title of the sailing. I just looked again and some sailings have it and some don't.

Cool I found it! For some reason the only ship that shows the new locks is the Caribbean Princess. :D