Nightmare tablemates?

Ken Greco

For the first time, decided to go to MDR on RCC for majority of meals. One solo gentleman had just reached 'Pinnacle' level and he was a delight, sharing stories of all his travels and giving input into various ships of RCC. (From his perspective, of course), but he was gracious and entertaining and in no way condescending or arrogant. I haven't cruised for 8 yrs so very much enjoyed his knowledge and wit. On the other hand, the table of 8 also had a young 'couple', and the male was embarrassingly obnoxious with his idiot behavior. Filled out a card for his 'seafood allergy' and then proceeded to order seafood 3 different nights, throwing what only can be called a 'tantrum' when they refused to serve him. His s/o was a NP, so she reared up one nite during one of the 'dreaded episodes', demanding to speak w/ the head chef. My daughter and I were embarrassed and humiliated by their behavior. The crew can get in so much trouble had they allowed him to eat what he himself had documented as 'allergy'. Her answer was to say they had an 'Epi' pen in their stateroom so he was willing to take his chances. How many ways can you spell stupid? I'm an ICU RN. You don't mess around with allergic reactions in the middle of the ocean. Our head server was close to tears. It was just so unnecessary and childish. The last night he demanded a lobster, followed by refusing to eat it once it arrived, and leaving the table (after a 1/2 hr conversation convincing the head chef to give him what he asked for). I ended up tipping our head server even more than normal, along w/ a note encouraging and praising her in the midst of the regrettable situation nite after nite just for her continued graciousness to them.

This thread isn't a competition, but if it was I think you win. Those two were unbelievable. Sorry you had to endure it. :eek:

Hmmm. I think the woman licking the face of a complete stranger has to be the first runner up then :D :p

Agreed! She was the front-runner in my mind, but it would have driven me nuts to sit there every night and wonder if that guy was going to score some seafood and die from it right before my eyes. I would have had to get moved to another table after a couple of nights of that.

Agreed! She was the front-runner in my mind, but it would have driven me nuts to sit there every night and wonder if that guy was going to score some seafood and die from it right before my eyes. I would have had to get moved to another table after a couple of nights of that.

That is definitely crazy. I have a couple friends with Celiac disease and if they eat even one teensy bit of gluten they pretty much can't leave the bathroom for days. I've heard stories of people dying from peanuts, and that guy wants to chow down on a lobster when he's allergic?

I actually met the one friend with Celiac on a cruise. The waiter would go over the next night's menu with her each day and make sure she only got gluten free food. She even had bread specially made. I was impressed at how well the dining room staff handled the situation and they sure don't deserve idiots like seafood guy giving them a hard time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

For the first time, decided to go to MDR on RCC for majority of meals. One solo gentleman had just reached 'Pinnacle' level and he was a delight, sharing stories of all his travels and giving input into various ships of RCC. (From his perspective, of course), but he was gracious and entertaining and in no way condescending or arrogant. I haven't cruised for 8 yrs so very much enjoyed his knowledge and wit. On the other hand, the table of 8 also had a young 'couple', and the male was embarrassingly obnoxious with his idiot behavior. Filled out a card for his 'seafood allergy' and then proceeded to order seafood 3 different nights, throwing what only can be called a 'tantrum' when they refused to serve him. His s/o was a NP, so she reared up one nite during one of the 'dreaded episodes', demanding to speak w/ the head chef. My daughter and I were embarrassed and humiliated by their behavior. The crew can get in so much trouble had they allowed him to eat what he himself had documented as 'allergy'. Her answer was to say they had an 'Epi' pen in their stateroom so he was willing to take his chances. How many ways can you spell stupid? I'm an ICU RN. You don't mess around with allergic reactions in the middle of the ocean. Our head server was close to tears. It was just so unnecessary and childish. The last night he demanded a lobster, followed by refusing to eat it once it arrived, and leaving the table (after a 1/2 hr conversation convincing the head chef to give him what he asked for). I ended up tipping our head server even more than normal, along w/ a note encouraging and praising her in the midst of the regrettable situation nite after nite just for her continued graciousness to them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OH wow, that is just terrible. The EpiPen half a mile away in the cabin isn't going to do much good, but you knew that.

One thing to mention, my seafood allergies have come on in stages (just wiped lobster of the OK list yesterday :( ). I reacted to scallops as a young child, but for years ate other shellfish. About six years ago I reacted to clams and squid (different occasions) but was still able to eat lobster, crab and shrimp. I enjoyed them while I could, knowing there would come a time... A month ago I reacted to shrimp. After last night I realized that I can no longer eat seafood, although fish stills seems to be OK.

Fortunately most of the time my first reaction is minor, the second one requires Benadryl, after that I take the hint my body is giving me and don't give it a chance for a third.

My point is that just because someone is allergic to some shellfish or seafood, they might not be allergic to all. Unfortunately allergy cards typically don't allow you to be specific, and that might have been what was going on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A friend is currently cruising and has just told us on fb that one person at the table managed to drive the other 9 people from the table just after appetisers and salad. Apparently she just annoyed every one and whinged about everything from blunt pencils to not enough bread rolls for the table. They all gradually left citing one reason or another, catching the show and want to make sure they got good seats, not feeling well, was tired, wanted to go to guest services while there was no queue, etc. My friend has asked for another table.

See, I see these people as open game. They are my fun. If you find it rude when people say "like" a lot, like I really like it. It is like totally rad. I am easily entertained and people like that need to be shown what it is like to be them. There is not a chance in hell I would move. They are mine, all mine and I want to play with them the whole cruise.

What u said about the dining staff is exactly what I observed in this situation. The Head Chef and other dining crew went out of their was coming to the table and patiently going over the menu just for his safety multiple times. I was really impressed by their diligence, both as a nurse and just as a cruiser. I spent many moments attempting to understand his really odd behavior. Was he just attention-seeking or some sense of entitlement, or doing some odd power struggle maneuver? Never could figure them out. But thanks for everybody's input. Have really enjoyed CC info and cruising stories.

oh, I forgot to add something important the head chef told the guy w/ the 'seafood allergy'. The reason this was such a concern is that the chef stated that the seafood is pre cooked and frozen for the ship and the chef is unable to 'guarantee' that the lobster was not cooked 'next to' or in sauces that had been used for other seafood 'that he was supposedly allergic to. I thought that really informative for just why food allergies could be potentially deadly and why the dining staff is so diligent. And yes, allergies can start out as very minor reactions at first encounter, and subsequent reactions can progress to potential life-threatening events. (Speaking as an ICU RN)

oh, I forgot to add something important the head chef told the guy w/ the 'seafood allergy'. The reason this was such a concern is that the chef stated that the seafood is pre cooked and frozen for the ship and the chef is unable to 'guarantee' that the lobster was not cooked 'next to' or in sauces that had been used for other seafood 'that he was supposedly allergic to. I thought that really informative for just why food allergies could be potentially deadly and why the dining staff is so diligent. And yes, allergies can start out as very minor reactions at first encounter, and subsequent reactions can progress to potential life-threatening events. (Speaking as an ICU RN)

Cross contamination is always a concern, although I know that some of my allergies aren't severe enough to warrant concern. But while at sea I play it safe. Big difference between being 500 miles away from ALS assistance and being five minutes to the local hospital.

OH wow, that is just terrible. The EpiPen half a mile away in the cabin isn't going to do much good, but you knew that.

One thing to mention, my seafood allergies have come on in stages (just wiped lobster of the OK list yesterday :( ). I reacted to scallops as a young child, but for years ate other shellfish. About six years ago I reacted to clams and squid (different occasions) but was still able to eat lobster, crab and shrimp. I enjoyed them while I could, knowing there would come a time... A month ago I reacted to shrimp. After last night I realized that I can no longer eat seafood, although fish stills seems to be OK.

Fortunately most of the time my first reaction is minor, the second one requires Benadryl, after that I take the hint my body is giving me and don't give it a chance for a third.

My point is that just because someone is allergic to some shellfish or seafood, they might not be allergic to all. Unfortunately allergy cards typically don't allow you to be specific, and that might have been what was going on.

You are very correct. My husband is allergic to shrimp but is able to enjoy all other shellfish.

What u said about the dining staff is exactly what I observed in this situation. The Head Chef and other dining crew went out of their was coming to the table and patiently going over the menu just for his safety multiple times. I was really impressed by their diligence, both as a nurse and just as a cruiser. I spent many moments attempting to understand his really odd behavior. Was he just attention-seeking or some sense of entitlement, or doing some odd power struggle maneuver? Never could figure them out. But thanks for everybody's input. Have really enjoyed CC info and cruising stories.

On Celebrity we advise the head waiter that my wife is gluten intolerant. Every night he comes over with the menu for the next day and goes over the choices. Even offered to make an item gluten free that is not normally served that way. Although, now the menus clearly identify which items are gluten free. They make fresh baked gluten free bread every night. She keeps it until lunch when she can make a sandwich. She also can get pancakes and other item in the buffet by asking, including pizza. One of the reasons we only sail on X

On Celebrity we advise the head waiter that my wife is gluten intolerant. Every night he comes over with the menu for the next day and goes over the choices. Even offered to make an item gluten free that is not normally served that way. Although, now the menus clearly identify which items are gluten free. They make fresh baked gluten free bread every night. She keeps it until lunch when she can make a sandwich. She also can get pancakes and other item in the buffet by asking, including pizza. One of the reasons we only sail on X

Given your food circumstances, you may want to also consider cruising on Oceania.

We went on the Galley tour and our Sous Chef said all meat was frozen, including fish. I asked specifically about raw fish products, shellfish and otherwise, he said nothing was stored unfrozen and they had nothing raw onboard. That doesn't mean it might not be precooked. The exception was smoked salmon. Our lobster tails where hot on lobster night, not sure it was pre cooked before freezing.

Edited by troykahack

I was on a world cruise which was broke up into 5 segments. There was an elderly lady who should not have been traveling alone. She was assigned at a table for 6 near the entrance. The first night of each segment there would be 5 others sitting with her. The next night she was alone.:eek: I witnessed this 5 times during the 94 days. I felt so sorry for the wait staff.

Don

I was on a world cruise which was broke up into 5 segments. There was an elderly lady who should not have been traveling alone. She was assigned at a table for 6 near the entrance. The first night of each segment there would be 5 others sitting with her. The next night she was alone.:eek: I witnessed this 5 times during the 94 days. I felt so sorry for the wait staff.

Don

Was she high needs or just unpleasant.

See, I see these people as open game. They are my fun. If you find it rude when people say "like" a lot, like I really like it. It is like totally rad. I am easily entertained and people like that need to be shown what it is like to be them. There is not a chance in hell I would move. They are mine, all mine and I want to play with them the whole cruise.

Oh you are bad :) and that is awesome ! I love it.

We were at a table for 6, but on the first night only one other couple showed up, they were from Kansas or somewhere in the mid-west, kinda awkward people, I did not feel comfortable with them at all, they seemed to force smiles and small talk.

Luckily they moved to another table for the rest of the cruise which left a 6 top for just the two of us (next to the balcony), great seats! and great waitstaff!

We were at a table for 6, but on the first night only one other couple showed up, they were from Kansas or somewhere in the mid-west, kinda awkward people, I did not feel comfortable with them at all, they seemed to force smiles and small talk.

Luckily they moved to another table for the rest of the cruise which left a 6 top for just the two of us (next to the balcony), great seats! and great waitstaff!

...or they moved because they didn't like their original tablemates. They might have already posted about it on this thread!

Edited by davekathy