Nightmare tablemates?

Ken Greco

You DO know they were joking right? lol

I would guess the "what do you do for a living" question is especially difficult for doctors. I can see people sharing every illness or injury they've ever had, and asking for advice on new issues.

I've always had great tablemates. That said, I sometimes worry about being the bad tablemate.

1.) I've gotten MUCH better about this but...when I'm insecure, or in a new environment, I tend to talk too much.

2.) I've done so many different things in my life that I'm sure people think I'm lying.

• Water ski show performer
  • Call Center Manager
  • Travel Agent
  • Firefighter/EMT
  • 911 Dispatcher
  • Preschool Manager
  • Author
  • Professional Speaker

I don't "jump" from job to job. Many of these things were done simultaneously. But, when a story from yet another career comes up in conversation, I can almost hear people thinking "she's so full of ****!" lol

Yes, I know they were kidding. Just remember that some people don't like sharing what they do. We are on vacation and not working. Please remember that. I am generally the one that puts a stop to the further questions but some just don't get it. Especially bad if drinking is involved. Just respect your fellow cruisers.

Just think about it. Why does any of this matter when one is on a cruise. Why can't people just get along and just enjoy. ????

How come it is so important to find these things out?? Lol

In my experience people were not so much "trying to find things out" as "trying to find common conversational ground."

I might ask the question (of what someone does, or similar), but I am also pretty adept at figuring out if someone doesn't want to pursue it. People just need to cut each other some slack and not be quick to take offense unless the offending party really doesn't take the hint. It's kind of a conversation killer if every response to a question is a snappy answer designed to shut the other person down.

Yes, I know they were kidding. Just remember that some people don't like sharing what they do. We are on vacation and not working. Please remember that. I am generally the one that puts a stop to the further questions but some just don't get it. Especially bad if drinking is involved. Just respect your fellow cruisers.

I agree. I do, however, understand that people use this question as an ice breaker and I don't take offense when asked. Some people love talking about what they do. It's all about the ability to read people, see what topics they would rather not discuss and find those topics that spark their passion.

Reminds me of a couple my wife and I had at our table (which sat four) in the buffet room on the Oasis of the Seas. They were engaged but he lived in Canada,while she was Canadian but lived in SLC. All he liked to talk about was how much property he owned in Canada and how this made him SOOOOO rich, blah, blah... I though to myself, 'NO wonder she moved to SLC'. She was a very quiet and pretty woman. In his long monologue talk about his favorite subject (himself) he said he was an RCCL cruise 'EXPERT' and was this our first cruise on Royal cruises. I replied we had done the Navigator of the Seas for the second time the previous Oct. He squinted his eyes and snorted, ' Huh? Never heard of that ship!!. And I KNOW all of them'. I smiled, (inwardly) and thought he's not the 'expert' he thinks he is. No wonder his girlfriend likes 'long-distance engagements'.

Mac

I agree. I do, however, understand that people use this question as an ice breaker and I don't take offense when asked. Some people love talking about what they do. It's all about the ability to read people, see what topics they would rather not discuss and find those topics that spark their passion.

Look, if someone ask, we will reply. But please don't ask how to fix the Rocket unless we ask, any issues with your Rocket since we are Rocket Scienetist.

I can say there is ALWAYS ONE at the table that wants you to diagnose their Rocket issues. Respect others.

Maybe think of a different ICE breaker. Respect your fellow cruisers. We cruise to get away from Rockets.

Edited by troykahack

One time when asked what I did for a living I replied "As little as possible." Most of the tablemates laughed, but one sour old gentleman said "You are what is wrong with America." Luckily we were on anytime dining and never sat with him again.

:D I will quote this some day!

Just think about it. Why does any of this matter when one is on a cruise. Why can't people just get along and just enjoy. ????

How come it is so important to find these things out?? Lol

Anyone can ask me anything, the answers they get maynot be accurate.

Look, if someone ask, we will reply. But please don't ask how to fix the Rocket unless we ask, any issues with your Rocket since we are Rocket Scienetist.

I can say there is ALWAYS ONE at the table that wants you to diagnose their Rocket issues. Respect others.

Maybe think of a different ICE breaker. Respect your fellow cruisers. We cruise to get away from Rockets.

Why is everyone assuming I ask this question? I was simply pointing out that I understand people use it as an ice breaker. In truth, I don't much care to be asked this question myself. I do, however, respond politely when asked.

Why is everyone assuming I ask this question? I was simply pointing out that I understand people use it as an ice breaker. In truth, I don't much care to be asked this question myself. I do, however, respond politely when asked.

And we will respond nicely too, just (not you) don't push it further unless those that are asked volunteer otherwise.

While on a cruise ship, we are all cruisers and on vacation, why does it really matter what we do?? Someone explain that to me??

Edited by troykahack

And we will respond nicely too, just (not you) don't push it further unless those that are asked volunteer otherwise.

While on a cruise ship, we are all cruisers and on vacation, why does it really matter what we do?? Someone explain that to me??

What you do doesn't really matter at all. I believe that people ask in an attempt to get to know you. It may be their way of saying "What are you passionate about?" or "How do you spend most of your time?" There are many people out there who love what they do and will talk about it endlessly. Then, there are those who would rather not discuss it. When people ask, I assume that they have good intentions, and move the conversation in a direction that makes me comfortable while still giving them a "starting point."

Sometimes I wonder what you can talk about, so many things are "off limits".

My favorites are:

what is your favorite color?

If you could own any car, what would it be?

Name a superhero that you feel the closest to your personality

:p:p:p

Maybe you should wear a pin or make a placard stating things you would rather not talk about.

If you were a tree.......

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Maybe you should wear a pin or make a placard stating things you would rather not talk about.

If you were a tree.......

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Just what would a NOT ask about work pin look like??

Look, everyone has a Rocket. If we tell you we are Rocket Scientists, please don't ask us about fixing your Rocket on a cruise. We cruise to totally get away for broken Rockets.

We generally ask for a table for two, maybe four. I can almost guarantee you that sitting with a table of eight, someone will have problems with their Rocket and will be persistent with their Rocket issues. Some just don't know when to stop.

Edited by troykahack