Bread and Butter Pudding - Pub Lunch - Grand

need2cruisesoon

Need2Cruise you suck!:mad: Posting those pics while I am hungry. Just kidding you do not SUCK but please refrain from posting yummy pics while I am hungry:D. I have never tried but looks very yummy only 33 days 13 hours 23 mins and 3 sec (from the time of this post), and hopefully I will get to try. Is it available everyday for lunch in the MDR?

I love the pub lunch ... my favorite being the second one when they serve the shrimp. Hope they are still doing that by the time I sail on Princess again.

I have yet to see the shrimp offered whether the first Pub Lunch or the second Pub Lunch. I keep waiting and hoping...

Maybe it will roll around one day on our 28 day cruise next year. That should maybe give them time to get to it.

I have yet to see the shrimp offered whether the first Pub Lunch or the second Pub Lunch. I keep waiting and hoping...

Maybe it will roll around one day on our 28 day cruise next year. That should maybe give them time to get to it.

I haven't seen shrimp either. My favorite is the Cottage Pie. We had it on Coral. I was too full for the Bread Pudding. I now see what I missed.

Margie

Oh my goodness, I moved from the UK to the USA many years ago and have not had bread and butter pudding since I was a child when my mother made it (just like your photo).... now I can only hope they serve it on Regal. Also, nice to see they name the Cottage Pie correctly (made with beef), rather than calling it Shepherd's Pie which is made with lamb.

Funny, I just had a somewhat heated discussion about Cottage Pie and Shepherds Pie yesterday. A group of us (ladies who lunch) went to a British pub here in Fla. a friend ordered Cottage Pie and said she loves it because of the lamb. The server, who is British, explained that she'd need to order the other choice. After she walked away, my friend commented that she went to London a few years ago and the server was wrong. I had to put my oar in and said shepherds pie is and always has been the one with lamb. When she argued about it I finally said to Google it. Bless Steve Jobs, he has stopped many a bar fight!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Do you know how much butter they use? I am thinking it could be a lot, but I could be wrong. Is that cooked? Not sure of my take on it by looking at it.

Why not find a recipe and cook some Bread and Butter Pudding (not to be confused with Bread Pudding) yourself, it is a gorgeous treat. The main yellow colour comes from egg not Butter btw many people add a thin custard mix. The background to the dish is that it is a delicious way to use up stale bread. My tips for cooking are use a good proportion of sultanas to raisons and make sure all dried fruit is submerged when it goes in the oven (stops raisons from going hard). Also layer the bread so most is totally submerged that comes out a bit like French Toast, and you get a mix of bread textures.

The way that the dish looks in the photographs; rough and unappealing, is precisely how it should be presented. Many Politically Correct hotels and the like try to make it look artistically pleasing this is not how it should be done.

It is a British dish and like many of our truly classic servings should either not look "nice" or should sound horrible e.g. Toad in the Hole, Spotted Dick, Eton Mess, Cullen Skink and Baby's Head pudding.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

When made correctly bread and butter pudding is a deliciously light and fluffy pudding with a soft centre and crispy top.

Stale bread is buttered lightly and then cut into triangles before being layered with a good sprinkling of raisins in a greased dish. The egg custard mix can either be milk and eggs or you can add cream to make it even more decadent.

The bread is soaked in the egg custard mix and the dish is then put into the oven. When cooked the top crusts should be crispy whilst the middle should be a moist custardy consistency.

It is nothing like the bread and butter pudding served up in the Windjammer on many RCI ships, which is dense and stodgy with no moisture left..