Credit card for trip

DGSD

Hello,

I'm looking to get a credit card to use overseas during my cruise. We will be traveling in Barcelona,Spain, then cruising to France, Italy, Greece, Turkey and Malta. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a preferred company? I don't want to use the one that I use for common household use.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Hello,

I'm looking to get a credit card to use overseas during my cruise. We will be traveling in Barcelona,Spain, then cruising to France, Italy, Greece, Turkey and Malta. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a preferred company? I don't want to use the one that I use for common household use.

Thanks!

Capital One does not charge foreign transaction fees.

We are assuming you live in the USA and have a decent credit rating. In that case you would simply want a major credit card (MC or Visa) with no annual fees and zero foreign exchange fees. Accordingly we think that the CapitalOne MC fits. It is relatively easy to obtain (you can fill out their simple online application) as long as you are credit worthy.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Depending on who you fly traditionally. Many airlines offer cards that you earn points and other rewards. Most airline cards do not charge over seas fees, and have decent exchange rates. We fly Southwest a lot! Their Chase Southwest Rewards card is pretty nice!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Capital One does not charge foreign transaction fees.

Bank of America also has a travel credit card that does not charge transaction fees. I have one with a fairly low amount of credit for traveling. Agree with scrapnana and bring 2 with one with a larger allowable balance which stays locked in the safe

Edited by take us away

I travel a lot for pleasure, both cruises with my Dear Wife and Solo on my own. Asia, South America ect. I spent a month deep in the Amazon one time. I use Capital One Venture Card. It's free, no overseas fees ect. Great card for travel and get some cash back from travel bookings (airline tickets, hotels, cruises ect).

I've never had a problem using Am Ex in Europe or Asia or South America.

Just to set the record straight, AMEX cards cost at least $55 per year and their Green/Gold cards also charge a 2.7% foreign exchange fee on every foreign currency transaction. Given that there are quite a few fee free, foreign transaction fee free, MC and Visa cards.......enough said.

Hank

Bank of America visa travel rewards is what we used. No annual fees, no foreign transaction fees, 0 apr for 18months, great rewards points earning percentage, and best of all a $200 bonus after you charge $1000 in your first 90 days.

But just as others have pointed out there are hundreds of good cards also.

We also did a charles schwab mastercard / debit card that reimbursed you for foreign atm fees. We just tried to cover all our bases and the just in cases.

Suggest that you avoid Discover and American Express. Neither is easily available in Europe.

I agree.

I travel for business and have a corporate AmEx card.

Half the time, I'm digging into my own wallet or personal card because someone doesn't accept American Express.

Though the initial thought of $450/yr fee may drop your jaw, at least take a look at the new Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa card. Spend several thousand during the first few months and get 100,000 miles/points signing bonus plus $300 statement credit for travel purchases plus a slew of other travel savvy benefits that functionally reduce the first year's cost of the card to $-0.00

If it's then too rich for your blood, dump the card in year 2.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Though the initial thought of $450/yr may drop your jaw, at least take a look at the new Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa card. Spend several thousand during the first few months and get 100,000 miles/points signing bonus plus $300 statement credit for travel purchases plus a slew of other travel savvy benefits that functionally reduce the first year's cost of the card to $-0.00

I wish i got that one , but it was too rich for my blood but after further review it would have paid for itself more than once

Hello,

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

We use CapitolOne Quicksilver card. No foreign fees and gives 1.5% on all purchases. The 1.5% may be claimed as credit on card bill or can be requested as a check.

Though the initial thought of $450/yr fee may drop your jaw, at least take a look at the new Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa card. Spend several thousand during the first few months and get 100,000 miles/points signing bonus plus $300 statement credit for travel purchases plus a slew of other travel savvy benefits that functionally reduce the first year's cost of the card to $-0.00

Or go with the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Spend $4000 within 3 months and get rewards points worth $500. Book travel with Chase and get another $125.

0% foreign transaction fee. Annual fee $95, waived first year.

Or go with the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Spend $4000 within 3 months and get rewards points worth $500. Book travel with Chase and get another $125.

0% foreign transaction fee. Annual fee $95, waived first year.

DH has the reserve and I have had the preferred for little longer.

With the points he will earn (he just hit his spend) and what he already has in his United account, I hope to book some business class tickets half way around the world somewhere later in 2017. Then I'll have to get creative for the way home. :)

For our trip in February, used my signup points along with some miles already in my United account for a first class ticket to Saigon. DH had points from a United card and some miles for his ticket. I bought miles from AA on a mile sale and added to a few I had, we booked business class home from Seoul. So, with the points and the $2K spent for the miles we got flights worth over $10,000.

Edited by buggins0402