Veranda Balcony Above Lifeboats

bdcbbq

I booked a cruise on the Oosterdamnto Alaska. I booked a verandah balcony midship on the deck just above the deck the lifeboats are on. The PPC said some people don't like these cabins. When I asked why the only answer I got was. "Some people say the view is blocked to the water."

Any credibility to this. I know I can change cabins...

Thanks

Thanks. It makes sense. I guess some people are just fussy about not seeing the water below them. I'm interested in the Alaska views. We were in a tad bit of a rush to complete the booking. I had to leave and she was leaving shortly for the day and next week.

I believe in trust but verify when buying.

The Deck 5 mid-ship verandahs are approximately 4-1/2 feet deep which allows for the deck chair and foot space. The other deck verandahs are approximately six feet deep giving you more "wiggle" room and you are further out over the lifeboats. My favorite VA cabins are 6080 and 6089 on the Vista class. I would also suggest checking for images online.

Since the rooms with balconies above the life boats cost the same as other rooms without these problems, why should you tolerate it?

Unless there are no other rooms available, why don't you ask for another location?

I am sure that you could still enjoy the cruise with a smaller balcony and a less than perfect view, but if there is something a little better for the same price, I would take it.

Probably most of the passengers who end up in these rooms have a guarantee and are "upgraded." HAL really should downgrade these rooms.

The veranda cabins midship no matter, what deck you are on will always block the sea below, it's just that from deck 5 it is more obvious. Just enjoy the veranda and look out instead of down.

Edited by boards

I'm the weird one that would prefer these cabins over others. We are a family of 4, so there are only so many cabins for 4, plus I want to be mid ship, because I get sea sick in a forward cabin.

You can still see the ocean and feel the breeze, and I'm mid ship with cabins above me and below me, so I"m a happy camper.

I don't look directly down, I look directly out. For a TA or cruiise with lots of open ocean, these have the least motion. And they (or at least on the Eurodam) have extra storage space above the sofa that the others further down don't have. I was very happy with mine. It was more sheltered, too.

If I am able to chose and did not book a guarantee cabin, I would not want a cabin above the lifeboats.

We had one of these (but we booked guarantees) and I prefered another one. It was ok, because I know - we paid the lowest possible price for a balcony cabin - so I was prepared to get the less preferable location.

The balcony is smaller (a little bit more than half the size of a "normal" balcony) and the view down is obstructed.

Why pay the full price for a less preferable cabin?

Maybe this pictures explain the difference: (it is from the Eurodam deck 5 - but it is nearly the same at the Oosterdam - I have been on both ships)

Regular balcony:

normaler-balkon.jpg

Smaller balcony

Have a look a the dividers - there you can see the difference

schmaler-balkon.jpg

And from below:

balkon.jpg

Wendy

When ever we sail on that style of ship I always book either 5101 or 5103 cabins. They are close to the glass elevators but you hear no noise from them. I have never been bothered by the tenders below us, in fact I enjoy seeing them load them back up to the ship after a tender port. The first time I booked that area of the ship was on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Frankly it was a matter of cost and even getting a balcony was a splurge for us. We loved it so much we did it again on the Eurodam. In 2018 we are sailing on the Westerdam and guess what cabin we booked.....Last year we sailed on the Prinsendam and we will again next May. Had to settle for an oceanview both times but heck you are on the Prinsendam so who cares....

Thank you for the insight on the balcony sizing, however as paganwoman stated we also had a cabin (5100 Noordam) right next the elevator and over a lifeboat and the location never played a part in not enjoying the sights and the time spent relaxing on the balcony.

We were 'upgraded' to one of these cabins (midship over life boats) on the Westerdam. As soon as we walked into the cabin it seemed 'dark' and the lifeboats (for us) definitely impacted the Alaska panorama (or so we thought it would).

I immediately stalked to Customer Service and we 'downgraded' to a higher level bow cabin which we loved. it is all a matter of opinion but my wife and I

(and my wife never complains but did on this occasion}found these cabins very undesirable. JMHO

Heartgrove -- I'm happy to hear that you approve of 6089! We and my Sis and BIL have 6089 & 6091 on the Westerdam for a 19-day PC (+mex&carib). I scoped the cabins myself (with online photos and the deckplans).

My second choice was the corresponding deck 5 cabins; I rejected the corresponding deck 8 cabins bc under the Lido/Dive-in work areas as I recall.

I've put my DS/BIL in 6089, their second cruise and first balcony; plus we'll be sharing the double balcony anyway.

Of course all a matter of opinion ...however reading the posts again was struck by two things. One it appears there is an overhang above these cabins which could account for the sense of 'darkness' we experienced. Also I know it was said in jest about the orange glow but I really think that might add to the type of lighting in the cabin, ie you have huge orange 'reflectors' bouncing light there.

I am probably overly sensitive to what I see as imperfections but when my non complaining and positive minded wife expressed disappointment I felt validated.

If we had received this cabin as a guarantee at a low price or an upgrade from

an inside I imagine our 'view' may have been tempered. As an upgrade from a normal cabin I know we were 'crestfallen' as soon as we entered the cabin.

I was blaming myself for accepting an 'upgrade' that I was not familiar with.

In retrospect I am just glad we made the immediate attempt to change cabins and were able to do so (I never thought this was a possibility) otherwise I know it would have been a nagging issue for us during the cruise.