San Diego Cruise port

ovchamp

Westerdam today:

Disembarkation began on time at 8 am. There were only 92 non-US citizens.

Last guest off ship at 9:40 am.

Embarkation started a bit late at 11:40 am (11:30 was targeted).

It started raining at 2:20 pm.

David

P.S. No Mariner's Luncheon. Invitations were as follows:

MARINER SOCIETY WELCOME

We cordially invite you to the Mariner Society Welcome Reception

in the Crow's Nest, Deck 10 Foreward

San Diego

from 2:00 pm until 3:00 pm

Westerdam today:

It started raining at 2:20 pm.

David

P.S. No Mariner's Luncheon. Invitations were as follows:

MARINER SOCIETY WELCOME

We cordially invite you to the Mariner Society Welcome Reception

in the Crow's Nest, Deck 10 Foreward

San Diego

from 2:00 pm until 3:00 pm

Were you onboard David?

See the On Location?

There's usually a lunch in the MDR on embarkation day. It is just no longer called a Mariner's lunch.

I've never gotten an invitation for the lunch. It's in the On Location or you just go ;) The invitation to the reception we have received.

Edited by kazu

Kazu, I get that he works there, I get that he's loyal and defensive towards his place of work. What I don't get are the constant denials of the history of screw-ups in SD, and posters experiences being doubted and outright denied. There is no point in debating with him.

In my mind Cruise Critic is to provide useful, current information to those who are looking forward to their sailing.

I enjoy cruising (over 50 sailings) and on almost all of the US carriers.

A number of my co-workers were sailing today; however, I'll be going to San Pedro 5 am.

David

P.S to reply regarding tons of luggage at the pier.....food and beverages are loaded first.

Edited by DAllenTCY

quote DAllenTCY;51634668]In my mind Cruise Critic is to provide useful, current information to those who are looking forward to their sailing. end quote

Please summarize the recent changes and when they became effective. In addition to a new elevator in February?, what additional changes are planned and approximate dates please.

Edited by qsuzi

Kazu, I get that he works there, I get that he's loyal and defensive towards his place of work. What I don't get are the constant denials of the history of screw-ups in SD, and posters experiences being doubted and outright denied. There is no point in debating with him.

Looking hard for that "Like" button. Can't seem to find it, but I do feel it.

Westerdam today:

It started raining at 2:20 pm David

THANKS DAllenTCY. I have been following this thread somewhat and APPRECIATE you sticking up for my home port/town and hope that you will be available for me next year. I am a native San Diegan and it bothers me that people that had an unfortunate embarking/debarking in San Diego have expressed their displeasure constantly but wish they would also realize that NOT EVERY cruise from San Diego is a failure. It is great they gave their opinions but it really BUGS ME that they think everyone is going to have a terrible time boarding or in-boarding in San Diego.

Also, the suggestion to go on a letter campaign to MOVE cruises from San Diego is crazy!! Unless this really effects you so much and you sail from here all the time, please move along.

Most of the complainers have cruised many times, but please....don't make everybody dislike our port before they even come here :D

Hope everyone who cruises from San Diego has an awesome time and THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR LOYALITY DAllenTCY ;)

I'm ready bring it on ......

THANKS DAllenTCY. I have been following this thread somewhat and APPRECIATE you sticking up for my home port/town and hope that you will be available for me next year. I am a native San Diegan and it bothers me that people that had an unfortunate embarking/debarking in San Diego have expressed their displeasure constantly but wish they would also realize that NOT EVERY cruise from San Diego is a failure. It is great they gave their opinions but it really BUGS ME that they think everyone is going to have a terrible time boarding or in-boarding in San Diego.

Also, the suggestion to go on a letter campaign to MOVE cruises from San Diego is crazy!! Unless this really effects you so much and you sail from here all the time, please move along.

Most of the complainers have cruised many times, but please....don't make everybody dislike our port before they even come here :D

Hope everyone who cruises from San Diego has an awesome time and THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR LOYALITY DAllenTCY ;)

I'm ready bring it on ......

I hear what you are saying. It is good to hear current, fair, and balanced comments especially from cruisers. We are sailing out of San Diego on December 10, and I will share our comments when we return home. With 5+ previous experiences out of this port, overall these issues are long standing and were not resolved with the "new" terminal. Two embarkation experiences were good (not HAL). I commend anyone who is trying to help to improve the experience.

Edited by qsuzi

San Diegans,

Please tell us what improvements are planned for the "new" Broadway pier terminal. I wish you every success and sooner rather than later so it can all be good.

What kind of money does it take and how do you get around all the environmental impact issues.

I am up the coast a bit, and we are drying up due to the drought and wanted to restart our mothball desal plant. The enviros swooped in and demanded we do a study on the sea algae and protozoa that would get sucked into the desal pipes, before it could get restarted to ensure there would be no harm to even single cell microbes.

Forget the harm we are facing to dying landscaping and bird baths by not having the water. :confused:. Does SD have the same green warrior zeal as we have in Coastal Calif.

BTW, SD is subject to the whims and caprices of the California Coastal Commission which can take forever to get anything done water side, let alone the hordes that think cruises ships are nothing but intentional dolphin killers and what the whole industry deep sixed. Except that would take an CEQA environmental impact statement too. .

Edited by OlsSalt

P.S to reply regarding tons of luggage at the pier.....food and beverages are loaded first.

I believe you were answering me. Is this the usual method for most ports, just San Diego, or no idea of other ports?

I've watched many sailaway loadings but never paid attention to the order of stuff loaded. Thanks for the additional information.

This thread is making me long for the good old days when we could discuss more important things like smoking or tipping or formal wear :rolleyes: No matter how many of us try, we will never convince one person that San Diego simply is not the best port in the world ;)

No matter how many of us try, we will never convince one person that San Diego simply is not the best port in the world ;)

I always told my staff that you can't solve the problem until you correctly define the problem.

But I suppose first you have to realize there actually is a problem---or nothing will ever change. :(

Agree with Ols Salt. San Diego has such good air connections, closeness to port, good hotel accommodations, train access and interstate for driving. Actually we always plan several days to play in San Diego prior to boarding. So much to see and do, as tourists and as many year's visitors. This activity has become part of our cruise. Have really had no problems in boarding prior to the Veendam/Westerdam moorage of Nov 5th. Have never had any probs debarking the ship. Just get off when number is called. Jump in a cab and off to the airport. So one event in many trips, probably have been lucky, but no complaints here.

Marianne

This is also our experience sailing from or to San Diego. San Diego is our favorite port. It is convenient, the airport is close and the port is close. Our experiences embarking and debarking have been about the same as any other port. A cruise starting or ending in San Diego is always a plus.

Sorry to hear about embarkation issues. We love SD as a port because we stay in the hotel across the street and can walk right over to the ship. We have sailed out of here many times and yes, sometimes there can be delays. But if you ask me, the worst cruise port is Bayonne, New Jersey. You'd have to pay me to sail from there again!

We are making our first visit on the 2017 WC and I must admit I have some trepidation about it. We want to get off and see the sites but others will be embarking and some will even be disembarking so I just don't know what to expect. I have scaled back our plans a little just in case the nightmare scenarios come true.

We are making our first visit on the 2017 WC and I must admit I have some trepidation about it. We want to get off and see the sites but others will be embarking and some will even be disembarking so I just don't know what to expect. I have scaled back our plans a little just in case the nightmare scenarios come true.

You shouldn't have any problems if you are already on board and SD is just another port day. You can have a nice leisurely breakfast and get off after the rush at Customs. Then you still have enough free time ashore to enjoy your planned activity before getting back to the ship when every new passenger has checked in and the lines to get on board have basically disappeared.

Despite all the reported and verified port problems, San Diego remains a very nice city. Enjoy your time there.

Reflecting on my own two out of four "nightmare" San Diego embarkation experiences, context is important.

When heading out for a vacation I don't want any hassles, so the long lines and time to get on the ship on those two SD experiences, and the sense of being trapped in a situation with little explanation for that relatively short period of time diminished the vacation mood I was in.

It has to also be noted that two SD embarkation experiences were just fine.

Was the SD embarkation any worse than the hassles of getting through airport security, far-flung gates, pre-arrival time demands and pre-boarding mob scenes. No way.

In retrospect, my self-reported "nightmares" of SD embarkations were in comparison all our prior airport experiences, a virtual walk in the park.

The reason we are choosing more and more San Diego as our cruise port is because of the dreadful nightmares that now all air flights have become. However, this is our own personal luxury since SD for us is accessible by train or car - no airports involved. No thank you.

My sympathies when getting to one's cruise vacation requires both the certain airport hassles and occasional port embarkation chaos. Bummer, just bummer. But this too does pass ..........eventually. Bon voyage.

Reflecting on my own two out of four "nightmare" San Diego embarkation experiences, context is important.

When heading out for a vacation I don't want any hassles, so the long lines and time to get on the ship on those two SD experiences, and the sense of being trapped in a situation with little explanation for that relatively short period of time diminished the vacation mood I was in.

It has to also be noted that two SD embarkation experiences were just fine.

Was the SD embarkation any worse than the hassles of getting through airport security, far-flung gates, pre-arrival time demands and pre-boarding mob scenes. No way.

In retrospect, my self-reported "nightmares" of SD embarkations were in comparison all our prior airport experiences, a virtual walk in the park.

The reason we are choosing more and more San Diego as our cruise port is because of the dreadful nightmares that now all air flights have become. However, this is our own personal luxury since SD for us is accessible by train or car - no airports involved. No thank you.

My sympathies when getting to one's cruise vacation requires both the certain airport hassles and occasional port embarkation chaos. Bummer, just bummer. But this too does pass ..........eventually. Bon voyage.

For us, yes it was MUCH worse than flying. We had already done two flights and customs. That was much easier than boarding here.

I think it took us 3 hours to get on board. I totally get why the 4 day/3day/repositioning people come on with just carry on luggage. They know the port.

I truly hope everyone's experiences are smoother than ours and that San Diego port works on making it smoother, without putting the blame on the shps.

It's a tremendous city, very enjoyable, but embarking? Send out a warning or post it on your FB page. Do NOT come until 1:30 pm. (Of course, then, if everyone comes at that time we have the same problem.)

Or just bring carry on luggage for a 33 day cruise.:p:rolleyes:

3 hours for embarkation is a nightmare. No question.

Remember those tales about the 5 hour disembarkations in Vancouver a few years ago? Vacouver got their act together after after all those negative reviews and warnings about multiple ships in port the same day -again it was US customs who created the bottlenecks.

Port of Vancouver even gave us a pre-cruise gift pack waiting in our room at the hotel we were staying at before departure - how did they know that?

How do you/others define the problems and solutions? Things that quickly come to my mind are:

1. Ingress and egress: The location and lack of space for luggage and passenger drop-off and pick-up. Same for outside initial security before you go inside for security check. Add more entry doors (security and inside baggage check) if space permits.

2. Inside space for security. Increase the number of security lanes/staff.

3. Check-in limited space: Add/increase seating, and check-in staff/desks.

4. Boarding: One elevator/one set of stairs: Add escalators. Analyze if staggered/designated check-in times would work at this port (limited space).

Edited by qsuzi

Do guests in Neptune Suites get any type of priority access at San Diego?

###

Yes, you are allowed to board in the first group which is approximately 11:30.

But on our cruise on November 5 this year, unbeknownst to us, there were 1,500 Mariners on board. The line was long and I thought that everyone had disregarded the email about staggered embarkation. A good number were, judging by the created crowd, four and five star Mariners with Priority Check-In. Still we were on board in slightly less than an hour.

Disembarkation was a real mess though and can only be blamed on the Westerdam staff. We were in the Lime 2 group (2nd group allowed off) and found a real crowd at the gangway. While we were in line to the gangway, the next group was called. Everyone started pushing towards the gangway! On my post-cruise survey to HAL I mentioned this and received a response that it would be passed on to the ship. On other disembarkations with HAL ships we have been moved through a lounge first and then to the gangway. It was far more orderly.

Do guests in Neptune Suites get any type of priority access at San Diego?

###

Two things going on:

Security check - before the cruise line check in - no priority, not done by cruise line

Cruise line check in - yes, priority check in counts here

Some times these both work together, but when crowds are larger with multiple ships you will get in line with with everyone else, for the first level security gauntlet. Once past that, then you get your well-earned specialty treatment.

Yes, you are allowed to board in the first group which is approximately 11:30.

Two things going on:

Security check - before the cruise line check in - no priority, not done by cruise line

Cruise line check in - yes, priority check in counts here

Some times these both work together, but when crowds are larger with multiple ships you will get in line with with everyone else, for the first level security gauntlet. Once past that, then you get your well-earned specialty treatment.

Got it! Thank you both for giving me the information I needed, instead of just answering my poorly worded question :)

###

Just reporting in on San Diego disembarkation yesterday of the Westerdam. We pre-cleared customs onboard at 6:30 a.m.as non-US citizens. All were cleared by around 8:20 a.m when they started to disembark passengers. Our group was called and walked off. The line was slow but it kept moving. There may have been a delay for those waiting for the elevator but we took the stairs. Luggage was organized by colour tag and seemed easy to find. We were outside quickly and found a cab with no waiting. We arrived at the airport at 8:45 a.m. in plenty of time for our 11:30 flight.

Apparently there were quite a few crew members disembarking at the end of their contracts as well, and they were disembarked prior to the passengers.

All went well for us and I would not hesitate to sail from San Diego again.