Packing early for the cruise

danielsumner

Our Oasis Cruise leaves in two weeks. Almost everything is packed in plastic bags and laid out in the guest room ready to be put in the luggage. Now we start our process of walking in the room every so often and asking ourselves if we really need to take this and that. In about a week half will go back to the main closet and next week I will go to the bank and get double the money I intended to take. Anyone else pack early?

I don't pack way in advance, because then I can't remember what I already packed! Day before leaving is it. Of course, after years, I already know what I'm going to pack. And several things I leave in luggage between cruises; swim suits, binoculars, toothbrushes, water shoes, etc.

Edited by 39august

I just pulled out the suitcases and put them in the spare bedroom and hung the clothes (warm weather clothes) I am taking in the closet. I will not put them in the suitcase until the night before we leave. Only 3 more weeks!!!!! :)

Yes, we pack several hours before we leave.:)

Bob, I'm right there with you. We're on the 4 Dec Freedom cruise and since we're driving down that morning, I'll pack about 8pm on the 3rd. My wife on the other hand got her suitcase out a week ago to start sorting things out.

Edited by iahawkfan21

We will be going on a 3-nighter on the Empress next Monday, returning home on Thursday morning (so I can work Thursday and Friday), then boarding the Harmony on Saturday. My plan is to move everything I need for seven nights on the Harmony into the guest room on Sunday, then pack enough of it for the three nights on the Empress. During the two-night gap I will launder what I used on the Empress and merge it back into the rest to pack for the Harmony. This is a practice run for back-to-backs after I retire in a few months - I hope it works out the way I think it will.

For all our trips, I put together a packing list. It has a column to indicate if items need to be washed/dry cleaned - and then a column to indicate when items are packed. We lay out the suitcases for bigger trips like our cruise in March a couple weeks ahead, and I begin packing items that are ready to go. With the packing list, it's easy to keep track of what we need and if they've already been packed. I layer suitcases with dry cleaner bags, to prevent wrinkling. I use dry cleaning bags in hanging bags, as well.

The packing/planning is half the fun for me with trips! Having a checklist, we don't forget things, too.

We're adding 4 days to the cruise in FLL at a hotel on the beach - so we'll be packing for 11 nights, including the first night at the pre-cruise hotel. It'll be easier to pack a lot ahead this time - as we'll be wearing winter clothes in March at home - and packing summer clothes. We'll be able to use a washer/dryer at the post-cruise hotel - which will help limit what we bring.

I don't actually PACK..but I do lay out what I want to take, if we're not cruising in the same "season" of clothes that I'm wearing....

I do this also but I also do it if we ARE in the same season so that I know that what I want to take is actually clean and ready to go. (this is of course after having the experience of having to do the 3am laundry the night before a trip!)

I'll bring up the suitcases about 4 weeks in advance of my cruises. Due to work, I'm typically only able to pack on the weekends. Usually I'm working late the night before the cruise (so I don't have to check for emails while I'm on vacation - I only sign onto the computer on board ship the last night so I can print out boarding passes) so last minute packing is out. Like somebody else mentioned, I use a packing list and mark on it what's been packed as I go along. To me part of the fun of vacationing is the anticipation of the trip and the packing helps to crystallize it out for me.

Our Oasis Cruise leaves in two weeks. Almost everything is packed in plastic bags and laid out in the guest room ready to be put in the luggage. Now we start our process of walking in the room every so often and asking ourselves if we really need to take this and that. In about a week half will go back to the main closet and next week I will go to the bank and get double the money I intended to take. Anyone else pack early?

I leave for Disney on December 26 and finished packing today IMG_1479697268.604987.jpg.85ad582eca5bf9ae39193f6fbc91ca2a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Its never too early. Please let us know how you like your cruise. I want to book 3-4 cabins on Oasis for summer 2018.

Edited by js

We have a "vacation room". All our dry cleaning is hung in there along with swimsuits and such. All our toiletries and things don't really ever come out of the luggage.

Guess bottomline we can take anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks to finish packing

Yes, we pack several hours before we leave.:)

Oh my! I would be beyond stressed and obsessively thinking of packing until its done. My sister packs for her family of five, with three boys under 12, the night before a cruise, Disney or a beach vacation. It stresses me out just hearning what she does the night before she leaves lol

I wish I could do like you but I cant do that. Oh well.

I make a list of what I'm carrying (i.e. beige capri slacks/striped top) for each day. If it's a long cruise, the list might say, Day 7: black and white top, slacks from day 2. At the bottom, I look at the outfits and put the shoes, along with the swimsuits and covers. I tack on a couple of sweaters/wraps that will coordinate, and undies. My ziplock with OTC meds and my prescription meds, cosmetics. I cross through the items on the list as I put them in the suitcase, but I don't actually put them in the suitcase until the night before we leave. If I pack too early, the days right before the cruise, I start adding things not on the list and stuffing every corner of the suitcase to bulging. That means I don't have anything for items I purchase on the cruise.

I commence packing about an hour before we will set off to the airport. My wife tends to pack the evening before. We've never forgotten to take anything that matters.

This isn't the same as saying there is no planning. If there's something we need to buy then we will have already bought it; often months in advance.

A coworker of mine just took a trip to the Dominican Republic. Two days prior to his trip, he looked for their passports. He found his wife's, but tore their house apart and couldn't find his! He managed to get an emergency appointment the next day to get a replacement- but I think he said it cost him $200. There's no way I could procrastinate like that!

Your cruise leaves in 2 weeks & that is packing early? Wife' would be going crazy packing that late. We come home from a cruise wash the clothes, check the toiletries & pack in the luggage it goes. The only things not packed are her outfits that goes in the garment bag.

I just got home yesterday from a trip, now I'm cooking for Thanksgiving, and we leave Saturday to drive over to FLL for our Allure cruise on Sunday. I guess I need to start thinking about packing:eek::cool: Oh, and if that wasn't all crazy enough, I'm supposed to have jury duty tomorrow. I love my life.....LOL

Edited by KeywestK