Rudeness to tow LOS crew members

jc foster

Millennial's battle cry is YOLO.(that's hard to counter)

But try whisper this classic quote to their ears " You climb the mountain to see the world, not for the world to see you".

I got 2 of them find a job and another one refrained from posting an album with 20 selfies every week in FB.

..btw no beef here, just an experience.

It is no wonder why sometimes when encountering crew they don't seem to know if they should say hello or look down and not make eye contact. So I make it easy for them and say hi first. Almost always it is returned with a smile.

And to think this all started over a 4:30 AM cup of coffee.:rolleyes: <SIGH>

Agree and we do the same thing.

We love going on cruises and we work very hard to save the money to go on our once a year cruise. We're diamond, but very seldom use the Diamond lounge because we usually have someone with us that wouldn't be allowed to go with us. We are the ones that look like every cruise is our first because we can't wipe the smile off our faces. We're still in awe of the ship, even if it's a ship we've been on 2 or three times before. We are taking lots of photos and wearing the dreaded lanyard. We are still amazed at the job the crew does to make our much anticipated vacation special. I'm always up early and would never think of admonishing anyone from the crew getting a cup of coffee. We listened, on our July cruise, to a table next to us with four young people (related) berate the waiter and asst waiter, the head waiter and complain about how the food was prepared...EVERY NIGHT. We were SO uncomfortable just listening to it that we almost stopped eating in the MDR. We made sure we told these folks what a great job they were doing and apologized for the rude foursome. We also sent cards to Royal mentioning the outstanding job these MDR folks did. They endured every insult with such grace. When I see some of the cabins, as I walk down the hall and the doors are open, I'm horrified for the cabin stewards. It says something about your character (or lack of) when you treat people in the service industry poorly. There's no excuse for not respecting them. None.

griffy116, What a great post,:)

I also think it was very rude. Cruise ship crew members are very hard working people and don't deserve to be treated that way. I'm getting close to the Diamond status. When that happens, I refuse to let it go to my head or make me think I'm better than anyone else on the ship! :)

On our recent Harmony TA I was waiting near the elevators while my wife visited the bathroom. As we'd approached, two members of crew (one of which was cleaning on the stairs) were greeting each other. From the short conversation they had it sounds like they were friends and hadn't seen each other for some time either because they had been on different ships (or maybe Harmony really is that big!).

When my wife returned, she told me that another lady in the bathroom had turned to her in disgust at these two crew members saying "Who on earth do they think they are? Guests?" I'm pleased to say my wife responded with exactly what she thought and put the lady in her place.

Sadly this wasn't the only disrespect for crew we witnessed. While waiting for the aqua show we also witnessed a guest unhappy that they couldn't get the central seating position that they desired tell a member of staff that they were Pinnacle and should 'bow down' to them.

We are both 'millennials' and find this sort of thing very uncomfortable. We'd like to think we treat crew members as we would our friends and with respect for the work they do to allow us to have an amazing time.

I bet that those people are also the ones that when you wait for the elevator and it opens , they push the close button to not let anyone in.

I just stick my foot or arm out . Some people are so rude, especially to the crew.

We love going on cruises and we work very hard to save the money to go on our once a year cruise. We're diamond, but very seldom use the Diamond lounge because we usually have someone with us that wouldn't be allowed to go with us. We are the ones that look like every cruise is our first because we can't wipe the smile off our faces. We're still in awe of the ship, even if it's a ship we've been on 2 or three times before. We are taking lots of photos and wearing the dreaded lanyard. We are still amazed at the job the crew does to make our much anticipated vacation special. I'm always up early and would never think of admonishing anyone from the crew getting a cup of coffee. We listened, on our July cruise, to a table next to us with four young people (related) berate the waiter and asst waiter, the head waiter and complain about how the food was prepared...EVERY NIGHT. We were SO uncomfortable just listening to it that we almost stopped eating in the MDR. We made sure we told these folks what a great job they were doing and apologized for the rude foursome. We also sent cards to Royal mentioning the outstanding job these MDR folks did. They endured every insult with such grace. When I see some of the cabins, as I walk down the hall and the doors are open, I'm horrified for the cabin stewards. It says something about your character (or lack of) when you treat people in the service industry poorly. There's no excuse for not respecting them. None.

Well said Griffey, your experience and attitude is just the same as my wife and me. It appals me the way some passengers think that throwing a few dollar bills excuses the rudeness and disrespect they show the hard working staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree that those passengers were rude.

I also believe that if those crew members were caught doing this they would be fired.

Just FYI.

Agree with you on both!

So rude and mean of those passengers.

Sadly, the crew members do know better than to have done this ....

I'm thinking that nobody posting in this thread has worked for RCCL, so it's just speculation as to whether or not the crew could have a cup of coffee.

Why would anyone really care? It's not like someone else is going to go without.

I believe this happened, as I have had crew push the envelope all the time. While it would have warranted a reprimand, this behavior would not be an offense of sufficient gravity to warrant termination, unless they had been warned about it before.

I agree that it is not really for the guests to uphold the cruise line rules against the crew, unless it is directly impacting them, and getting a coffee in the lounge in the early hours doesn't really count on that front.

Remember that there are hundreds of cameras on the ship, and only 2-3 surveillance techs on watch at a time, whose computer screens scroll through all the cameras every couple of seconds, so while actions may be recorded, they may not be witnessed, and the crew are frequently willing to risk this.

More speculation

I'm thinking that nobody posting in this thread has worked for RCCL, so it's just speculation as to whether or not the crew could have a cup of coffee.

Why would anyone really care? It's not like someone else is going to go without.

More speculation

News flash: ChengKP works on ships.

But feel free to make things up yourself.

This is so well stated. I have also seen crew berated by jerks, and cabins that were embarrassing at the least--some would have qualified as a Superfund site. We aren't the type to get giddy, but we do try to be pleasant to everyone we meet, particularly hard working crew members.

We really only have complaints about three crew members ever, one because they were inept, one because they were incredibly rude (and even cheerleaders for the line they works for agree that they are rude and shouldn't be working on a ship), and one because their behavior was disturbing to say the least, and there were some other issues I won't get into as the cruise line compensated us fairly as a result, and I am sure took corrective action.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by ducklite

While you are correct that I haven't worked for RCI, I have worked for NCL, and know enough folks over at RCI to know how similar rules and regulations are between all the lines. I know that I as Chief Engineer, who had unlimited access to passenger areas, on duty and off, would be reprimanded if I showed up in the Officers' Mess in coveralls, let alone in a passenger area in a working uniform while not working (and helping myself to a coffee would not be work).

And frankly, I would reprimand my engineering staff for going to the crew mess hall for coffee during working hours, outside of prescribed break periods, let alone doing it in passenger areas.

While you are correct that I haven't worked for RCI, I have worked for NCL, and know enough folks over at RCI to know how similar rules and regulations are between all the lines. I know that I as Chief Engineer, who had unlimited access to passenger areas, on duty and off, would be reprimanded if I showed up in the Officers' Mess in coveralls, let alone in a passenger area in a working uniform while not working (and helping myself to a coffee would not be work).

And frankly, I would reprimand my engineering staff for going to the crew mess hall for coffee during working hours, outside of prescribed break periods, let alone doing it in passenger areas.

Never let the truth get in the way of a cruise critic member who has an axe to grind. :rolleyes: I, for one, appreciate hearing from someone who has worked for a cruise line on a ship. The hyperbole on this and other threads can be entertaining, at best, and appalling, at worst.

Edited by travelgoddess1

Nothing like getting yelled at by a blue card. Some of the diamonds are worse then some of the pinnacles. Can't we all get along? [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yep, D+ have a worse rep than Pinnacle in my experience.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

As a "GenXer" who is one trip from "Diamond" I actually believe that had those two crew members (who apparently working late hours) got reprimanded for a lousy cup of coffee at 0430 then I would consider taking my "loyalty" elsewhere if that is how RCCL would treat their crew. As far as the pax, there's not much to be done but as one poster said "grab a cup myself" and offer it to the crew. Without them I wouldn't be all smiles on vacation!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I was always taught that you never mess with people involved with your meal (cooks and wait staff) or the people who make your life comfy (maintence, cleaning, etc.)

That being said, many people do think it is perfectly fine to treat others rude.... I work in a customer service call center, people treat us very rudely and I have found that I have no respect for rude people

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As a "GenXer" who is one trip from "Diamond" I actually believe that had those two crew members (who apparently working late hours) got reprimanded for a lousy cup of coffee at 0430 then I would consider taking my "loyalty" elsewhere if that is how RCCL would treat their crew. As far as the pax, there's not much to be done but as one poster said "grab a cup myself" and offer it to the crew. Without them I wouldn't be all smiles on vacation!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

A couple of guys working late at night wanted a coffee, why does she care so much?

While I agree that it was really none of the passenger's business to reprimand the crew for doing this, I do have to make a statement about the "its only a cup of coffee" comments. As for taking your loyalty to another line, if you knew what the crew regulations were at each line, you would find that they are incredibly similar. Now, to you, the vacationing public in general, and your bosses at your places of work, it may be no big deal for an employee to grab a cup of coffee while working, but I will say that life on a ship is in no ways comparable to life onshore, and the one thing required of crew is discipline. In an emergency, or even just an equipment failure, there is no "Maytag repairman" to call, there is no fire department to call, and in many cases, there is no rescue service to call, other than the crew. In order to know that the crew can and will follow instructions in an emergency, it is important that they follow the instructions in minor, everyday situations. The ship does not live or die on crew happiness, but it sure lives and dies on crew discipline. Crew have facilities, and passengers have facilities, and each are required to use their own facilities. Would it be okay for passengers to roam through crew areas and get meals and coffee from the midnight meal in the crew mess?