Rudeness to tow LOS crew members

jc foster

Well, I can tell you for sure that the blue coveralls mentioned in the OP are working uniforms for engine crew, and when in working uniform, they are not granted access to pax areas except to perform their duties. Getting a coffee or latte is not part of their duties.

You could not be more wrong.

While you are correct that I haven't worked for RCI, I have worked for NCL, and know enough folks over at RCI to know how similar rules and regulations are between all the lines. I know that I as Chief Engineer, who had unlimited access to passenger areas, on duty and off, would be reprimanded if I showed up in the Officers' Mess in coveralls, let alone in a passenger area in a working uniform while not working (and helping myself to a coffee would not be work).

And frankly, I would reprimand my engineering staff for going to the crew mess hall for coffee during working hours, outside of prescribed break periods, let alone doing it in passenger areas.

I stand corrected. Thank you for your insight.

And not accusing me of "making something up" or any other disparaging remark.

I was unaware of your experience as Ships Crew.

Funny how some of those who complain about others shooting off at the mouth are rather quick to draw.

Edited by clean1owner

A couple of thoughts. 1) while I would not have been rude to the employee I do think it was unprofessional. 2) it was just a cup of coffee. I don't care. I know people who work in the food industry that have been fired for taking a bite of extra food at closing instead of throwing it away. 3) it was 430 in the morning so they needed the coffee. If you are used to working those hours it does not effect you the same as someone with a 9-5 would. 4) I work in the service industry and unfortunately it is not what it should be. I am always the professional and do not understand why the work ethic has disappeared. I remember years ago listening to stories from my co-workers about how they treated costumers. I for a long time thought that they were exaggerating and saying what they wanted to do. Until one day someone I knew experienced it first hand and told me all about it. I finally realized I was being naïve and they really do act that way at work. I have rarely had issues with costumers but I remember not too long back I mentioned an outrageous demand a costumer made and mentioned it my manager because it was too funny. My manager then asked how I reacted ( professionally of course) and her response was she would have .....(unprofessional). I have worked for this company for several years and when a new trainee comes in they often ask what is my worst experience with a costumer. everyone around me who have been around from a few weeks to a couple of years are filled with stories of how awful costumers are. I always have the answer " I don't really have any" why? Because I get back what I put out there. If you are professional the costumer will generally treat you with respect. Unfortunately the service industry is full of people who just do not care about keeping up standards.

Sent from my K88 using Forums mobile app

A couple of thoughts. 1) while I would not have been rude to the employee I do think it was unprofessional. 2) it was just a cup of coffee. I don't care. I know people who work in the food industry that have been fired for taking a bite of extra food at closing instead of throwing it away. 3) it was 430 in the morning so they needed the coffee. If you are used to working those hours it does not effect you the same as someone with a 9-5 would. 4) I work in the service industry and unfortunately it is not what it should be. I am always the professional and do not understand why the work ethic has disappeared. I remember years ago listening to stories from my co-workers about how they treated costumers. I for a long time thought that they were exaggerating and saying what they wanted to do. Until one day someone I knew experienced it first hand and told me all about it. I finally realized I was being naïve and they really do act that way at work. I have rarely had issues with costumers but I remember not too long back I mentioned an outrageous demand a costumer made and mentioned it my manager because it was too funny. My manager then asked how I reacted ( professionally of course) and her response was she would have .....(unprofessional). I have worked for this company for several years and when a new trainee comes in they often ask what is my worst experience with a costumer. everyone around me who have been around from a few weeks to a couple of years are filled with stories of how awful costumers are. I always have the answer " I don't really have any" why? Because I get back what I put out there. If you are professional the costumer will generally treat you with respect. Unfortunately the service industry is full of people who just do not care about keeping up standards.

Sent from my K88 using Forums mobile app

Do you work in the theater world? ;)

I guarantee this story never happened. Since all public areas A under 24hr surveillance. Why would,a crew member take a risk of having there actions recorded... perhaps the OP was still dreaming at 4:30am.[emoji99][emoji42]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are questioning crew members being in there having coffee I can tell you they I can well believe it as they were using suite lounge at similar hours as well. Same cruise. Didn't bother us. Exchanged hellos. They were not interfering with our ability to have a coffee.

Shame some passengers have to be so rude

Edited by Spurschick

Are we REALLY this petty? Do passengers REALLY think they are so superior? I have no words. I would welcome the gents (working all night to make our experience better) to help themselves to a cup of coffee. I do believe in karma....

I agree with you 100% because you can buy a cruise ticket,this does not make you any better then the guy sweeping the deck.Maybe better off but not better.:mad:

Having just read this thread for the first time, I believe the point of the OP has been lost in the discussion of whether or not the crew members were violating their rules by trying to grab a cup of coffee. The point, if I'm not mistaken, was that it was rude of the passenger to feel the need to berate the crew members. If her comment was coming from a place of "For your own good, dear crew member, you might get fired if you partake of that cup of coffee; please reconsider", then I might say the discussion about "can they or can't they" might be relevant. I'm sure, however, that her comment was meant to put the crew members "in their place" and remind herself of her status as not only a passenger but a "Diamond diamond diamond super important" passenger.

It all reminds me of the adage that if you want to see the true measure of a person, watch how he/she treats those on the lower end of the social strata, not his equals.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Put simply...that couple who made the remarks were rude and lacked any level of class.

Their decision to become the "policemen" for the lounge at 4:30am was beyond arrogant. The crew was not at fault, and should not have to deal with people who are such snobs.

Agreed they were rude and it was uncalled for, but the staff should know better. Part of their contract is that they do not partake in guests food/drink whether offered or not. That includes bartenders whom guests are not allowed to purchase shots/drinks for.

While you are correct that I haven't worked for RCI, I have worked for NCL, and know enough folks over at RCI to know how similar rules and regulations are between all the lines. I know that I as Chief Engineer, who had unlimited access to passenger areas, on duty and off, would be reprimanded if I showed up in the Officers' Mess in coveralls, let alone in a passenger area in a working uniform while not working (and helping myself to a coffee would not be work).

And frankly, I would reprimand my engineering staff for going to the crew mess hall for coffee during working hours, outside of prescribed break periods, let alone doing it in passenger areas.

Huh? I know someone that works at 7 11. I guess that means they know everything that goes on at all the other convenience stores in the area. Not all companies are the same you know, even if they operate.cruise ships.

I generally mind my own business on cruises. It's really not anyone else's business addressing improper behavior. We all know what is considered improper behavior...by crew and passengers, don't we? But its not our place to reprimand anyone...IMHO.

But I agree, a passenger trying to chastise a crew member for something is as poor behavior as the crew members offense any day. She should have waited to talk to the concierge about it.

Edited by BecciBoo