Royal $49 Picture Package

ltcal94

I sure hope they continue this. $49 is a great price point in that it likely brings them some profit and yet many a cruiser might see this low enough that they'd have a "heck, what can I lose" attitude.

I know I'm in if it's available on our Feb. cruise.

This is exciting news. I hope Princess rolls it out fleet wide. I do digital scrapbooking and it irritates me no end to have to buy the print and also pay for the digital copy when all I really want is the digital copy. But this would be a great deal.

Just got the princess Circle and it still advertises a $199 package.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is still the current standard package price. The $49 offer is a trial on the Royal. I guess they will look at the economics and the feedback they receive and then decide if they should spread it to other ships.

I did question them on the Royal & was told that it included ALL photo's that were on the boards.

I told my wife about that & she was talking to another passenger & they told her that they received only 6 photo's for that price. (I'm to assume they only had 6 photo's taken during the trip.)

What ever the correct story is, if you have any intentions of purchasing the package (if offered) I would pose for each & every opportunity numerous times and then you'll have dozens of photo's in your package.

What ever the correct story is, if you have any intentions of purchasing the package (if offered) I would pose for each & every opportunity numerous times and then you'll have dozens of photo's in your package.

I don't think I understand this business model.

They are now offering all you can eat for $49, including digital files.

Previously, $49 would have gotten you maybe 2 8x10s, without digital files.

So, I wonder if the $49 is a test, and they will be trying different

prices to test the market and maximize profits.

This is a pretty good idea if you think about it, a win win for both. Their costs are fixed at the current time, they already are paying the photographer and are spending the money to print the photos, the determining factor is how many they sell, which is probably pretty low percentage wise. So with this you encourage more people to spend money, granted at a lower price, but they will more than make up for it by the sheer volume.

We would definitely buy this package. We get photos taken every cruise, but only maybe purchased on 2 of 6 because we didn't see the value in $20+ for 1 8x10 photo. And the 2 we did purchase was 1 single print.

This is a pretty good idea if you think about it, a win win for both.

So with this you encourage more people to spend money, granted at a lower price, but they will more than make up for it by the sheer volume.

Exactly.

It's easier to sell a $1 item to a million people, than to sell a $1,000,000 item to one person.

I did question them on the Royal & was told that it included ALL photo's that were on the boards.

I told my wife about that & she was talking to another passenger & they told her that they received only 6 photo's for that price. (I'm to assume they only had 6 photo's taken during the trip.)

We ended up with close to 50 pictures (prints and digital files) . The offer is for any picture taken by the photographers (boarding , port , casual , dining room , and formal night ) . The only ones not included are any platinum studio portraits .

As someone else said, they were already taking the pictures , printing and then dumping a bunch of them. We probably took as many pictures as usual , but we would budget about $100 for the trip. My guess is someone figured out it was best to tap into those passengers sitting on the fence and be able to get the $49 than lose out and throw the pictures out anyway. If they end up getting more revenue , then my guess it will be kept as there costs haven't changed. One thing that did change is that they are not taking as many pictures per sitting unless you ask, so that must be their way of controlling how many pictures people will get.

We ended up with close to 50 pictures (prints and digital files) . The offer is for any picture taken by the photographers (boarding , port , casual , dining room , and formal night ) . The only ones not included are any platinum studio portraits .

As someone else said, they were already taking the pictures , printing and then dumping a bunch of them. We probably took as many pictures as usual , but we would budget about $100 for the trip. My guess is someone figured out it was best to tap into those passengers sitting on the fence and be able to get the $49 than lose out and throw the pictures out anyway. If they end up getting more revenue , then my guess it will be kept as there costs haven't changed. One thing that did change is that they are not taking as many pictures per sitting unless you ask, so that must be their way of controlling how many pictures people will get.

You really got a deal for $49. :D I wonder how long this program will last as soon as the word spreads around?

If people expect it to be announced on every cruise I doubt if anyone will jump on the outrageous price of $20 per photo price any more.

It just shows you how much money they make on the photo's to begin with. :eek:

We did a ships tour on the Ruby a few years ago, when we visited the photo department I asked what percentage of photos taken were sold, if I remember correctly it was 5%, also I think the average number of pics taken on a 12 day cruise was 85000.

This Info was from about 3 years ago and I've slept since then

One thing that did change is that they are not taking as many pictures per sitting unless you ask, so that must be their way of controlling how many pictures people will get.

Taking this to a bigger scale, the on board photographers have a quota of pictures they need to take in a day before they can go off shift. So I don't foresee Princesses costs increasing with rolling this out as the photographers will simply stop taking photos when they pass their quota thus controlling the costs.

I hope, as your posts references above, that this doesn't turn people into the "let's take 50 pictures so we make sure we get a good one" type of thing, but I imagine that would be easy for the photographers to manage if it arises.