Looking to Try Princess....any friendly advice?

Lois R

Hello.....after many years of sailing Celebrity, this year brought me

elsewhere. I took my first River Cruise out of Amsterdam (FABULOUS:D)

and I went to New England on Royal. Now 2017 is nearing and I have

NOTHING booked:eek:

I am looking at Ruby Princess in February to the Mexican Riviera. I have

done this itinerary before (quite a few years ago)....any tips on the ship,

food etc would be really helpful. I am a regular cruiser so I do know

the ins and outs of cruising but wondering more specifically about

Princess. I have over 40 cruises with Celebrity so this will be new to

me. Oh, I am thinking of either 1) regular balcony or 2) Mini Suite.

Thanks for the replies:)

We love Princess and rarely cruise other lines. I love that they now have where you can text and read the daily patter on a website/app they provide. We use it all the time onboard. Really like there specialty restaurants. Plus if you can afford a mini-suite, it is the way to go! Happy Cruising!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got off the ruby a week ago. It's a beautiful ship. We sell the itinerary you are thinking of. We had a good time in all the ports. The food was terrific and the steak house was amazing. I don't think you can go wrong sailing princess.

Hello.....after many years of sailing Celebrity, ........

I am looking at Ruby Princess in February to the Mexican Riviera. I have

done this itinerary before (quite a few years ago)....any tips on the ship,

food etc would be really helpful. I am a regular cruiser so I do know

the ins and outs of cruising but wondering more specifically about

Princess. I have over 40 cruises with Celebrity so this will be new to

me. Oh, I am thinking of either 1) regular balcony or 2) Mini Suite.

In my experience with Princess, it is a step down from Celebrity. There are a couple of things better on Princess, but most things not as good as Celebrity. Be prepared to pay $3 for an ice cream cone, only choc. and vanilla softserve are complimentary on Princess. But don't let my opinion affect your decision because others will disagree with me. Give Princess a try and make your own determination.

Definitely recommend the mini-suite although not really a suite. It is a bit larger than a Celebrity balcony stateroom but smaller than a Sky Suite.

I have only five cruises under my belt but can say when I cruised Princess the first time I bought stock and now have two more cruises booked. Princess is first class in customer experience from beginning to end. The mini suite is a good bet.

Princess and Celebrity are similar in a lot of ways. One big difference is onboard costs. IE drinks for purchase _ in Princess, there's about 5 drinks over $10, everything else by the glass is under $10. And gratuity is 15% vs 18% on Celebrity.... Specialty dining, again - much less expensive on Princess - Crown Grill, $29pp vs $45 for Tuscan Grill or $50 for Murano.

Princess offers the Ultimate Balcony Dinner which is a wondeful treat. Full service white linen dinner with flowers, Champagne, two wait staff, picture all served in comfort of your own balcony or cabin.....Nothing really like it on Celebrity.

Coroner's on Princess is the martini bar - no ice bar, but it is also a piano bar, usually an excellent and entertaining pianist that both just plays and also is often a sing along later at night, some comedy, etc. Good fun...

More live music usually in Princess - band in Wheelhouse, party band, string quartet, quitarist, pianist, Orchestra band, etc. Makes for more options at night especially.

More going on at night than Princess - besides the bands, there's usually a game show in one lounge, the main theater entertainment, entertainment in the atrium, plus nightclub...

Princess still has formal nights, and yes many people still dress up, so be prepared.

Overall f if you've enjoyed Celebrity you'll likely thoroughly enjoy Princess also.

Have a great sailing!

Thanks for the replies:)......as for the size of the ship? I have sailed

every ship in the Celebrity fleet (sans Xpedition) but the S class are

are in the 122,000 ton range.......isn't Ruby about that size?

Our big suggestion is to book a Mini Suite! :)

Hi Lulu:)...hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

The mini suites on the sailing I am looking at are within my pricepoint

so that is why I was going to book one.....I am going to continue

my research;)

As for formal nights? I don't mind dressing up but I don't own long

gowns or anything.....is a long skirt and nice top appropriate? Black

dress slacks?

Princess and Celebrity are similar in a lot of ways. One big difference is onboard costs. IE drinks for purchase _ in Princess, there's about 5 drinks over $10, everything else by the glass is under $10. And gratuity is 15% vs 18% on Celebrity.... Specialty dining, again - much less expensive on Princess - Crown Grill, $29pp vs $45 for Tuscan Grill or $50 for Murano.

Princess offers the Ultimate Balcony Dinner which is a wondeful treat. Full service white linen dinner with flowers, Champagne, two wait staff, picture all served in comfort of your own balcony or cabin.....Nothing really like it on Celebrity.

Coroner's on Princess is the martini bar - no ice bar, but it is also a piano bar, usually an excellent and entertaining pianist that both just plays and also is often a sing along later at night, some comedy, etc. Good fun...

More live music usually in Princess - band in Wheelhouse, party band, string quartet, quitarist, pianist, Orchestra band, etc. Makes for more options at night especially.

More going on at night than Princess - besides the bands, there's usually a :game show in one lounge, the main theater entertainment, entertainment in the atrium, plus nightclub...

Princess still has formal nights, and yes many people still dress up, so be prepared.

Overall f if you've enjoyed Celebrity you'll likely thoroughly enjoy Princess also.

Have a great sailing!

If the Coroner's is the Martini bar (as you state), does that mean that the pianist is the Coroner.:):confused::eek:

Hi Lulu:)...hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

The mini suites on the sailing I am looking at are within my pricepoint

so that is why I was going to book one.....I am going to continue

my research;)

As for formal nights? I don't mind dressing up but I don't own long

gowns or anything.....is a long skirt and nice top appropriate? Black

dress slacks?

For formal night you'll see everything from black dress pants with sparkly top up through cocktail dresses and a few gowns. Gents will range from slacks, dress shirt and sport coat sans tie up through suits and a few tuxes. I was simply pointing out the difference as Celebrity no longer has formal nights at all....so didn't want you caught off guard..

Ruby is about 113Gt, so slightly smaller than Solstice class, with slightly higger passenger load. You'll likely notice little difference as the layouts are so different in side - more lounged, elevators and stairwells, several smaller main dining rooms rather than one grand one on Celebrity, etc. The ship's most definitely doest feel crowded at all...more pools and outdoor lounge space also, which is great..

Enjoy!

If the Coroner's is the Martini bar (as you state), does that mean that the pianist is the Coroner.:):confused::eek:

:D:D:D.......I thought that was an odd name for a Martini Bar........

For formal night you'll see everything from black dress pants with sparkly top up through cocktail dresses and a few gowns. Gents will range from slacks, dress shirt and sport coat sans tie up through suits and a few tuxes. I was simply pointing out the difference as Celebrity no longer has formal nights at all....so didn't want you caught off guard..

Ruby is about 113Gt, so slightly smaller than Solstice class, with slightly higger passenger load. You'll likely notice little difference as the layouts are so different in side - more lounged, elevators and stairwells, several smaller main dining rooms rather than one grand one on Celebrity, etc. The ship's most definitely doest feel crowded at all...more pools and outdoor lounge space also, which is great..

Enjoy!

Thank you for the information:) I really do appreciate it.

More going on at night than Princess - besides the bands, there's usually a game show in one lounge, the main theater entertainment, entertainment in the atrium, plus nightclub...

Have a great sailing!

Oops 😊 I think you meant "Crooners"

Unlike Celebrity, Princess has self-service laundromats.

I saw that on their website. No laundry for me;)......I will wait till I

get back home to do it.

Yes it does dock in San Pedro.

We will be on the same cruise in January. Hope you like Princess as we do.

We have tried Celebrity twice over our cruising years, so we obviously enjoyed it, but noticedthe last time it seemed to us that it is more focused on money making extras than Princess. IIRC For example, more bars/lounges without dance floors than Princess, where the only reason to go would be to drink.

Edited by bigenna

Will they show the Superbowl on the ship? The cruise is that weekend.

Absolutely. And it will be an event! Shown on the Movies Under the Stars Screen and usually in another lounge, ship decorated with balloons in team colors, streamers, etc. And an appetizer bar usually, often with wings and nachos, popcorn, chicken fingers maybe.. It's good fun. Enioy!