Internet Use on Celebrity

ronbetty2001

I forgot to put in my Millennium review something about internet usage I found pretty disturbing. We got 60 minutes free internet for attending the Connections Party for Cruise Critic members, which I thought at first was pretty cool. Then I find out it's not really 60 minutes, it's 60 minutes of one time access. Which means once you log on the 60 minutes have to be used in one session. There is no roll over of these minutes, once you log on you have a total of 60 minutes to use but at that one time only. So if you log on with these minutes on say, Monday morning, you have 60 minutes Monday morning weather you use them all or not, you can not save them. They expire after that Monday morning. Also they sell 60 minutes of use for like $24.60 which is the same way. Who needs 60 minutes of internet at one time for almost $25.00?

Just trying to let people now about the new Celebrity corporate mind set of not being upscale but all about revenue enhancement. Looks like Celebrity has been taken over by the bean counters, instead of people that care about experience. Seems they have been lowered to Carnival Cruise standards.

Capt. Ron

I forgot to put in my Millennium review something about internet usage I found pretty disturbing. We got 60 minutes free internet for attending the Connections Party for Cruise Critic members, which I thought at first was pretty cool. Then I find out it's not really 60 minutes, it's 60 minutes of one time access. Which means once you log on the 60 minutes have to be used in one session.

And the free 60 minutes would have been 100% worthless if you had already purchased the Celebrity full cruise unlimited Internet package for about $20-$24 a day.

I forgot to put in my Millennium review something about internet usage I found pretty disturbing. We got 60 minutes free internet for attending the Connections Party for Cruise Critic members, which I thought at first was pretty cool. Then I find out it's not really 60 minutes, it's 60 minutes of one time access. Which means once you log on the 60 minutes have to be used in one session. There is no roll over of these minutes, once you log on you have a total of 60 minutes to use but at that one time only. So if you log on with these minutes on say, Monday morning, you have 60 minutes Monday morning weather you use them all or not, you can not save them. They expire after that Monday morning. Also they sell 60 minutes of use for like $24.60 which is the same way. Who needs 60 minutes of internet at one time for almost $25.00?

Just trying to let people now about the new Celebrity corporate mind set of not being upscale but all about revenue enhancement. Looks like Celebrity has been taken over by the bean counters, instead of people that care about experience. Seems they have been lowered to Carnival Cruise standards.

Capt. Ron

If you purchase minutes, you can always log-off and use the remaining minutes later, so your comment "they sell 60 minutes of use for like $24.60" is simply not true. Are you sure you got your facts right for your free minutes? I would be really surprised if it truly worked like that. Did you simply miss / overlook the log-off instructions?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was a gift!

There were no gifts of free Internet minutes at our Connections gathering last month- no complaints from us because when these or other items are given they are "gifts".

Edited by jelayne

The OP's seems to be "looking the gift horse in the mouth" so to speak. The gift coupon for a sixty minutes of interest time (to be used in one session) distributed at the Cruise Critic Connections party is not new. I know that we received them in 2015 while on the Equinox. But this is the first time I have heard a complaint.

I am just so pleased that Celebrity takes the time and consideration to schedule a Connections party. A venue has to be set up with cloth draped tables, microphone, coffee and hot water urns, breakfast pastries (for AM meetings), carafes of juice, cups, glasses and so forth. The cruise director, a few officers and "stripes" take time out of their schedules to attend for a few minutes. The staff involved to set up this event and then dismantle it could be doing other tasks.

It was a gift!

There were no gifts of free Internet minutes at our Connections gathering last month- no complaints from us because when these or other items are given they are "gifts".

and it's someone like this who screws it up for everyone. The cruiseline looks and says, "Hey we tried to do something nice and all we get is complaints? Forget it."

As others have said just say "thank you".

It was a gift!

and it's someone like this who screws it up for everyone. The cruiseline looks and says, "Hey we tried to do something nice and all we get is complaints? Forget it."

As others have said just say "thank you".

Did you misread my post:confused: I was not complaining. "No complaints from us"

If you purchase minutes, you can always log-off and use the remaining minutes later, so your comment "they sell 60 minutes of use for like $24.60" is simply not true. Are you sure you got your facts right for your free minutes? I would be really surprised if it truly worked like that. Did you simply miss / overlook the log-off instructions?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on the Silhouette in September and if you buy 60 minutes, when you log off the clock is still running. If you log on at 10:10am you time is over at 11:10am no matter how many times you log off. It's a rip-off in my mind!

Regardless, you still say "thank you for the gift" and use what you can.

From what we read here on Cruise Critic many people never turn on their phone, don't take a tablet, never go to the Ilounge to check their email. They choose to completely unplug. Yes, the gift is wasted on them. But you still say "thank you" rather than "Gee I wish you would have given me something else".

Regardless, you still say "thank you for the gift" and use what you can.

From what we read here on Cruise Critic many people never turn on their phone, don't take a tablet, never go to the Ilounge to check their email. They choose to completely unplug. Yes, the gift is wasted on them. But you still say "thank you" rather than "Gee I wish you would have given me something else".

Exactly.:)