Cruising USA vs Mexico

bamacruisersDJJ

My question is "Is Hawaii like Alaska without all the tipping and begging or is it like Mexico"with all the beggers, buy this, tip me, hold my illegal iguana for $5 and a pic for $10.?

After cursing to Alaska USA we realized and loved that you are not getting asked for money, tips or to buy some trinket every 5 min. We are always getting nickled and dimed to death(more like 5 to 10 dollars) in all of the Mexican ports. We Loved Alaska and are going again soon, and Hawaii is on the list! Thanks for any and all answers and input :) Have a great day

J

Wow...just wow.

Hawaii is a state in the USA, just like your "Alaska USA."

The median income in Mexico is about $11,000 per household, with a much greater disparity between high and low than in the US. The median household income in Hawaii USA is about $69,000. Please draw your own conclusion, if possible.

Edited by Pudgesmom

My question is "Is Hawaii like Alaska without all the tipping and begging or is it like Mexico"with all the beggers, buy this, tip me, hold my illegal iguana for $5 and a pic for $10.?

After cursing to Alaska USA we realized and loved that you are not getting asked for money, tips or to buy some trinket every 5 min. We are always getting nickled and dimed to death(more like 5 to 10 dollars) in all of the Mexican ports. We Loved Alaska and are going again soon, and Hawaii is on the list! Thanks for any and all answers and input :) Have a great day

J

Why on earth would you think Hawaii would be like Mexico? It's a US state with one of the highest incomes. :eek:

J

Hi

Sorry, I must be missing something. Beggars can be found in most North American cities with their hand out. Some more aggressive than others.

Mexico and the Caribbean as a whole have a lot of poor people trying to make a living for their family whatever way they can. I don't know what to suggest for you to avoid poor people. Maybe you should just consider yourself lucky that you were born where and when you did and not to complain how the unfortunate circumstances of others bothers you.

continued good luck with your life

Hi

Sorry, I must be missing something. Beggars can be found in most North American cities with their hand out. Some more aggressive than others.

Mexico and the Caribbean as a whole have a lot of poor people trying to make a living for their family whatever way they can. I don't know what to suggest for you to avoid poor people. Maybe you should just consider yourself lucky that you were born where and when you did and not to complain how the unfortunate circumstances of others bothers you.

continued good luck with your life

Yes you are missing something, I was not complaining, Just asking a question in comparison.

You don't know crap about me or what I do.

I am very blessed and thankful for it.

Have a great day and I hope that you are as blessed as I am ;)

Yes you are missing something, I was not complaining, Just asking a question in comparison.

You don't know crap about me or what I do.

I am very blessed and thankful for it.

Have a great day and I hope that you are as blessed as I am ;)

hi

Yes, I must have misunderstood. It did sound like you were complaining.

As an answer to your question. You won't have people coming up to you offering to sell you silver cheap, or some inexpensive beads.

Hawaii is beautiful.

have a good day and a great cruise

J

if you liked Alaska so my much why are you cursing it?! ;)

is there a but ton of poverty in Hawai'i? oh hell yeah. does it mainly get swept under the sand in the touristy areas? yup. but of you leave the confines of the Hilo Hattie trolley car route, you will run into it.

whether or not you get hassled? we never experienced it but then again we also stick out, not for being haole or a tourist but of being military.

you may find that the areas the locals prefer the non islanders avoid you will be.. unwelcome.. maybe not overtly hostile, but definitely a sense of.. 'yeah they do not want us here eating their food and surfing their waves'.

Hawaii is a totally different experience. You won't find excursion people waiting outside of the port area....you will need to do your research and make arrangements in advance.....

There are no "beggars" or trinket shops/straw markets per se....

It's expensive there! Few Hawaiians are wealthy...homes are small (but you aren't inside much anyway!)...it's the tourist industry/resorts that have driven up the cost of living there! And, of course, everything must be shipped in....it's an island!!!

Edited by cb at sea

We found Hawaii to be a pleasant surprise for having both the lifestyle that we are used to in the states, and the tropical serenity of the Caribbean and Mexico.

Some here may not understand that revelation, but after traveling to Mexico and Caribbean for 30 years, Hawaii resembles many of Mexican and Caribbean destinations enough to put one in a sense of an unrealistic expectation. Of course we feel silly later for the discovery, but sometimes a little experience is required to paint a reality.

I admit that after a couple hours of contending with a continuous steam of peddlers on a beautiful beach in St. Martin beach last month, I was longing for a quiet day on a Hawaii beach.

Burt

Three totally different locales, with two being US states that are completely different from each other, and the others, Mexico/Caribbean being third world countries. They really aren't comparable.

We did have an experience in Honolulu, an older lady and about 6 kids mobbing us and begging along with trying to get into my bag and pockets. It was a weird experience but they were unsuccessful.

There were also obvious homeless sleeping on Waikiki Beach.

Any large city and/or tourist area you are likely to see panhandlers and homeless, it's not that unusual. Some locales just do a better job of handling it.

As tourists it is best for us to learn how to handle it ourselves also.

Edited by SPacificbound