May or September

Ms Jo UK

On the Carnival Dream out of NOLA considering May 13th or September 16th both 7 days. We are just wondering what date out of these 2 options is likely to have the most kids aboard.

Also what is the New Orleans weather likely to be in like in these months (I hate asking weather questions lol).

I would say May is the month that will have the most kids. Most schools starts in late August/early September so parents will likely not want to take their kids out of school that early in the school year.

On the other hand, September is in the peak of the hurricane season. Some of the worst hurricanes come in that month.

I would chose May over September. The ships are big and you can always be somewhere where there are no kids. The kids have their own areas where they can go.

The number of kids should be about the same since school is in session for both of the dates.

May will be slightly cooler which is a plus and less risk for bad weather.

September will still be hot and a much higher risk for bad weather.

I cruise often in September/October and even though we've had some hurricanes we've had to skirt around it didn't impact the cruise or our fun.

I've cruised 2 times in May with no problems. I've cruised 9 times in September and on 2 occasions missed a port.

I like both months for the most part. May weather in port is great unless you are in Belize - apparently it's their hottest month. Do a water activity - touring ruins that time of year is no fun at all.

I know September is hurricane season, but we've never had a rough September cruise. Weather is still pretty hot in the Caribbean, but water temps are still nice & warm. I would also think there would be fewer kids in September.

I've never been to New Orleans in either of those months, so someone else will have to fill you in on that.

Weather wise September is usually hotter and has more chance of bad weather even if not actually a tropical storm or hurricane.

If you visiting NOLA any before or after cruise May is better.

May is also better because you cruise sooner and heck maybe ending up doing the September cruise also.

Sept will be cheaper. Fewer kids in Sept. People tend NOT to take the kids out in the begining of the year.

EVERY cruise has kids onboard.

Sept is hurricane season-- but the ship will not sailing through the hurricane. If booking during sept do NOT base your cruise on ports because they could be missed

Hi,

I really wouldn't worry about children on board.

Carnival does a great job keeping them busy .

We are seniors and have sailed with many families on board and the kiddos didn't bother us one bit.

I'd be more likely to book in May than September because of hurricane season. Even if the ship stays away from the storms it can disrupt your itinerary.

I would say more kids in May. My son and I cruising May7th and he goes to college in Texas and he is out by then.

I'm from Missouri and if you will notice in my signature that we have sailed a couple times in May - (rest early August/late July - right before school starts)

He always got out of school mid- May - It will depend on the winter. if schools have lots of snow days to make up.

High School graduations in Missouri start early May. So I can see there being graduation groups in May especially since you are talking NOLA and this is the area of the country that goes mid- August to mid-May to school. East Coast tends to go Sept -June. Florida and Georgia seems to follow the Southern trend of getting out in mid-may.

May will have the most kids onboard. I sailed on the Triumph out of NOLA in September, and there were probably 20 kids on the ship. I also took the Triumph in May and the hot tubs were crawling with children making jokes about peeing in the water [emoji107]

That number sounds super super low for any month.

Thank you all for your advice and responses. We have cruised in September a number of times and have been very lucky and only ever lost 1 port day but I am aware that luck can run out.

We are planning on spending 3 days either pre or post cruise in Nola and just wondered how wet it might be (peoples experience) and how humid it can be September is our anniversary so we are swaying towards September, just want to make a final decision based on the NOLA weather (I know it changes from year to year).