Senior discount

What's types of discounts are offered? I've searched a little but I'm on my phone at work and not seeing much. I've been thinking about booking a cruise for my parents, who have never been before. DH and I went in May and found it to be a good time to go. I'd definitely want them to go when waters are more likely to be calm. Maybe just a 4-day. Not sure what destinations would be best either. They don't drink or party so relaxing would be most important. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

There is no set senior discount amounts. RCL will offer a senior rate on cruises sometimes and those rates vary. Check the box for senior when searching for cruises. There are other third party websites that you could search on as well that are more user friendly than the RCL one but we are not allowed to mention them here.

Edited by molly361

Use your search engine to search for "Senior discounts cruises". The perks vary with different lines and times of the year. Don't forget resident rate search as they are sometimes really good and often they can be combined really saving you.

When I have taken Gran with us (in her 80's)I made sure the ship was not tendered at any of the ports. Also, I booked an excursion in each port that was "easy" and was mostly a ride/drive and not walking.

Took the in laws (70's) in march of this year on majesty,short cruise. It was their first. They loved it and are gonna go again. Consider size of ship and mobility. Mom has a cane, and the handicapped room was all the way at front of boat. Miles from elevator. So room proximity to elevators and places they go on ship important

You don't mention their age, as that could determine what cruise line/ship would be best for them. I am not aware of any cruise line giving senior discounts, as I am a senior and have never recieved one. Carnival has more of a party atmosphere, so you may want to stay away from them, if that type of atmosphere is not to your parents liking. And depending on age and physical abilities, you may want to stay away from the mega ships on RCCL and NCL. Perhaps Celebrity or Holland America would be good choices.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Where do your parents live? If they have to fly to Florida to get the cruise, you would want to consider which port they would sail from in terms of the logistics of getting to a hotel and then to the port the next day. I found Tampa to be very easy. Fort Lauderdale was easy as well. Port Canaveral is an hour from Orlando Airport. I've not done Miami, but others can speak to that.

What time of year are you considering?

If you do a "dummy" booking you will be asked if you are a senior citizen, veteran, police/fire, state of residence, etc. if any discounts are available they will show in the booking.

Keep in mind that short cruises are often more of a party cruise. They may prefer a standard 7-day cruise. Sea conditions change daily - no way to predict.

If you do a "dummy" booking you will be asked if you are a senior citizen, veteran, police/fire, state of residence, etc. if any discounts are available they will show in the booking.

Keep in mind that short cruises are often more of a party cruise. They may prefer a standard 7-day cruise. Sea conditions change daily - no way to predict.

Grandma Dazzles---you are absolutely correct about shorter cruises being more of party cruises! I forgot to mention that in my previous post. Most definetly, the longer the cruise, the less partying!

They are in their 60's and do not need any physical assistance. They live in Mobile and I know there is a port there but only for an older Carnival ship. I feel they would enjoy RCI better. We had a great experience out of port Canaveral and it's not a terrible drive, although ports are limited for anything less than 7 days.

Edited by Staying Focused

What's types of discounts are offered? I've searched a little but I'm on my phone at work and not seeing much. I've been thinking about booking a cruise for my parents, who have never been before. DH and I went in May and found it to be a good time to go. I'd definitely want them to go when waters are more likely to be calm. Maybe just a 4-day. Not sure what destinations would be best either. They don't drink or party so relaxing would be most important. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Seniors means nothing.

They are in their 60's and do not need any physical assistance. They live in Mobile and I know there is a port there but only for an older Carnival ship. I feel they would enjoy RCI better. We had a great experience out of port Canaveral and it's not a terrible drive, although ports are limited for anything less than 7 days.

Ft Lauderdale is my favorite port, with Miami second. I like them for ease of getting to port from my pre-cruise stay.

Why would they be bringing a pet on a cruise? I don't get that. I have cruised several times over several years, and I don't think I've ever heard that one, nor have I seen a pet on a ship! I have always left the pets behind. Cats--leave food, water, litter boxes. Dogs--we boarded.

My husband turned 55 this year. Our navigator cruise was booked more than a year ago but I check prices regularly. Right around final payment time they ran a senior rate special and it brought the price of a balcony down $340/person to the point that we could switch from inside to balcony for no additional cost. Always pays to check the senior rates.

what about driving to Galveston? we did it in one day, but breaking it up into 2 shouldn't be too much of an issue.or NO ( I think Princess is there?)