Tell me about the Enchantment. Maybe taking a group of 100 high schoolers!

Perhaps you are just one of the naive parents who looks the other way. I don't have a bad view of teens per se, but I am realistic of the tendency for that age group to test the waters of their newfound freedoms of being unsupervised while also succumbing to all of the other things that can plague them and cause those behaviors, like the need to be included and noticed by their peers.

Do I think all of them are that way? No. But do I think it's likely that 10-20 out of a group of 100 will be? Absolutely. I volunteer my time to supervise large groups of kids all the time through school field trips and sports tournaments that require overnight trips and while most of the time the kids are all part of the "good kids" category, I've never seen one event go by without several of them, no matter what age group, getting a little too rowdy.

I think it's more likely that the adults who say teens get a bad wrap are the parents of the kids who cause the problems because you think they can do no wrong, look the other way, or make excuses for them, because if you were supervising them closely enough, you wouldn't think my observations were that outrageous. I am not against teens at all, I'm against parents who think there's nothing wrong with 100 loud, energetic and minimally supervised kids disrupting other people's peaceful enjoyment. As a passenger I would tolerate it for the most part, but I would certainly notice it and try to avoid it at all costs if possible, and as a parent, I would be on top of those kids constantly, knowing how much they will probably be annoying the rest of the ship.

I'm not saying teens are horrible, and I'm not saying don't go, I'm saying, be realistic and don't be surprised that other people will probably wish you weren't on the same ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OMG--this is almost exactly what I was going to say! To be fair, I have found many teenagers to be quite aware and respectful of others, but when they gather in large groups, away from home and limited supervision, they can get carried away.

And just a note on behalf of all of us who don't have kids. We don't have the special audio filters that parents develop to ignore/filter all the drama and noise. And we don't get why they must be so loud and obnoxious when they are in groups. I get that they are very self-absorbed but they are out in public. Surely someone has told them to try and keep a lid on things? Why should I suffer because mom and dad couldn't remind the little darlings that there are others living in the world? And if they could pull their heads out of their phones instead of crashing into me, then looking at me like i caused a problem, that would be great.

Go ahead, bring the 100 kids. Make excuses for them, cancel your cruise, whatever. I'm glad i won't be there. I love the funny comments, which is a subtle way to provide input on how you might "train" the children before they board.

As I read back over this, I know I sound old and grumpy but this is what I see every day, not on a cruise, and i worry that social norms have changed for the worse. Much like the children, I am not going to apologize.

And I'm positive they won't miss me :D

good luck

ML

I'd rather be on a cruise with 100 high schoolers than 100 21+ adults who get drunk, loud, and obnoxious every night of the cruise.

That said the chaperones need to prepare themselves. Even if that group of 100 choir kids all act marvelously well the entire trip there will still be complaints and negative feelings about them.

Take the elevator/stair situation. (Note that I see this even with large families.) They walk down the stairs (or through the promenade) three or four across, even when it is crowded. Now consider even if they break up in to groups of ten, that will cause people to have to stop and let them pass. If the group is larger it will seem unruly, and if they're groups of 10 it will seem like "those groups of kids are EVERYWHERE."

God help them if that group of 10 healthy able bodied teens try to take an elevator from their 3rd floor cabins up to the windjammer. There will be complaints about large groups of kids just 'riding the elevators' or preventing someone who "needs" the elevator from using it.

Edited by ewenix

Sorry if this has been mentioned (I didn't read through all 4 pages)...but one thing to consider is the ages of the kids. If you have any that will be over 18 at the time of the cruise, they will be a little "left out".

I just got back from a cruise with my 15 and 18 year old sons. The 18 year old is considered an "adult" (even though he is a Sr. in high school), so was excluded from participating in the teen club or teen events (though he did sneak into the 3 on 3 basketball). He and his younger brother are good friends, so the younger one always stayed with the older one...which meant he didn't go to the teen club or activities either.

Both of them had a good time on the cruise, but I think there was a lot more for the younger one to do, that he didn't experience. Likewise, the older one was kind of caught in-between....not allowed to participate in the teen activities with his peers (the ages of the kids he is in school with), but also not old enough to participate in the adult activities (drinking, etc.) or really be able to relate to 19-20 year olds that are in college (just a different dynamic).

If you have a couple kids that are 18, it may not be an issue because they can hang out together. However if you only have one or two that are 18, there is a chance they may end up being excluded from the things the larger group is doing (going to the teen club, etc.)

My dental hygenist and her dh were chaperones on a cruise once. She told me about it (beforehand) and I said OMG, are you crazy? Oh, no, she said they're all good, Christian kids. I know they'll be well behaved.

Fast forward to my next dental appointment where I asked her how did the cruise go?

The worst experience of my life, she stated. We were up all night trying to keep them out of each other's rooms. She said YOU WERE RIGHT!:D

Edited by mafig

Couldn't resist this one.

I think Garavar and VAFOXFANN were being refreshingly frank and insightful in their observations/confessions. Don't you people remember being that age at all:confused: The first one to defy the chaperones and get away with it is the winner!

I have 2 grown kids, mostly reasonably obedient, but I did my share of chaperoning and can tell anyone unequivocally, there WILL be shenanigans...just sayin... I didn't volunteer for the girls senior trip to Cancun, but oh the stories that came back from that one...:rolleyes:

That's life growing up....get over it. When they grow a brain they get much better...along about 30!;)

Remember, Mark Twain said:When a boy turns 13, seal him in a barrel and feed him through a knot hole.

When he turns 16, plug up the hole.

I must admit my first thought was just what griffy said LOL

Edited by BecciBoo

Funny, in June after school is out there will be way more than a 100 children on the ship. They all belong to somebody, who cares:rolleyes:

If one person wants to bring 100 of the hundreds onboard, knock yourself out. The children will have a grand time

Edited by setsail

Funny, in June after school is out there will be way more than a 100 children on the ship. They all belong to somebody, who cares:rolleyes:

If one person wants to bring 100 of the hundreds onboard, knock yourself out. The children will have a grand time

Agreed

rvgdoo.png

I don't care because I won't be aboard, however, as I stated earlier, 100 kids in a group is way different than 100 random children.

Think of 100 Quinceañera's. :eek:

We are on Enchantment right now and it wouldn't be my first choice. I agree with Freedom or bigger. That said, if this is the only option that meets your needs, go for it. They will have each other to keep themselves entertained.

I agree. We prefer a larger ship as well. We sailed 11/28/16 and also thought the Enchantment could use a bit of upkeep. That being said, we still enjoyed our cruise.

I don't care because I won't be aboard, however, as I stated earlier, 100 kids in a group is way different than 100 random children.

I figured there were posters posting that would not/never be onboard but still had to add value:rolleyes: to the thread. I looked at some of the posting history and some like O/A/H, who would have thought they would sail on a ship with 800 children/off season or 2000 in season. Personally, there have been children on all our cruises, don't have a clue what part/any are a group.

You gave some good ship info which was what the op wanted

Edited by setsail

Couldn't resist this one.

I think Garavar and VAFOXFANN were being refreshingly frank and insightful in their observations/confessions. Don't you people remember being that age at all:confused: The first one to defy the chaperones and get away with it is the winner!

I have 2 grown kids, mostly reasonably obedient, but I did my share of chaperoning and can tell anyone unequivocally, there WILL be shenanigans...just sayin... I didn't volunteer for the girls senior trip to Cancun, but oh the stories that came back from that one...:rolleyes:

That's life growing up....get over it. When they grow a brain they get much better...along about 30!;)

Remember, Mark Twain said:When a boy turns 13, seal him in a barrel and feed him through a knot hole.

When he turns 16, plug up the hole.

I must admit my first thought was just what griffy said LOL

Thank you [emoji5]

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app

We were on Alure with 100 + Quinceaneras and their families.

It was interesting.

No real problem except if you needed to get past the group during formal events.

But, Alure was big enough to keep out of their way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did the 3 night cruise this past August and found it to be a party cruise. Everyone was drunk and a few that had taken something stronger. Before people get on to me for making that observation, my wife is a master's level nurse and works with people with addictions and she knows one when she sees it.

We also did the 4 night cruise and it was not as bad. The 3 night is over the weekend and people do it just to get away for a few days and don't have to take as many vacation days from work to do it.

That may be the way it was in the one you were on but it isn't the general rule. We are taking this cruise tomorrow and again in April for the 3rd and 4th time and we aren't going to "party". We have a longer cruise planned next December however, we take our extended family on this cruise to get their feet wet, so to speak.

Of course that could have to do with timing. Didn't think about the fact that you said August. We usually go in December.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by rose28651

This may have already been mentioned but Royal has very strict rules on groups like this. A friend of mine set up one and she not only had to have someone over 21 in each room, she had to pay a security deposit and sign some sort of release.

Also, chaperones are not legal guardians so you can't put an adult in one room with the kids in another.

You definitely want to call Royal and work with someone on this.

P.S. Don't listen to the negativity. There are always lots of kids/teenagers on cruises from what I can tell.

We were on a cruise (in the Med)last year with over 100 "quinceanera" girls. They were no problem at all. They had their own chaperones and RCCL laid on special events for them to keep them busy. A senior officer did tell me that they had to cancel the morning events they had organised for the girls as none of them got up in time lol.

We were on a cruise (in the Med)last year with over 100 "quinceanera" girls. They were no problem at all. They had their own chaperones and RCCL laid on special events for them to keep them busy. A senior officer did tell me that they had to cancel the morning events they had organised for the girls as none of them got up in time lol.

Not my experience unfortunately, but I only have Caribbean cruises to compare. Total takeover of pools and hot tubs. Many look a lot older than they are, often could be found in the solarium as well.

And what's with the locking arms and walking 4-5 abreast. :confused:

And what's with the locking arms and walking 4-5 abreast. :confused:

I can only assume it's a cultural thing. I noticed this on the Alure.

But we would just stop, stand there and smile nicely.

They do separate if encouraged to do so.

This may have already been mentioned but Royal has very strict rules on groups like this. A friend of mine set up one and she not only had to have someone over 21 in each room, she had to pay a security deposit and sign some sort of release.

Also, chaperones are not legal guardians so you can't put an adult in one room with the kids in another.

You definitely want to call Royal and work with someone on this.

P.S. Don't listen to the negativity. There are always lots of kids/teenagers on cruises from what I can tell.

You are wrong here. With special groups they make certain exceptions. With our group no one has to be 21 in a room

You are wrong here. With special groups they make certain exceptions. With our group no one has to be 21 in a room

I agree. We've seen many quince groups and there appear to be just a handful of adults with the girls.

I just got off the Enchantment on Friday (12/9). I admit to internally cringing when I saw a huge group of students getting on the ship with us. This trip was supposed to be a romantic getaway for my husband and myself. Honestly it wasn't much of a problem.

I think the fact that there was a port day every day helped some. Getting off the ship was where we encountered large numbers of them just sitting on the stairs waiting. They did move when asked. I never really saw a group larger than 8 any other time except waiting to go into the main dining room.

There was a group of 6 young 20 something's. They were far more obnoxious than the students. One girl in particular could be often heard around the ship kicking up a drunken fuss.

This ship is pretty small. The pool area is not big. I think if I were bringing a group I would pick a bigger ship with more things to do for all ages. I was on the Indepence last January with my 20 & 21 year old kids. It is much better IMO for late teen/early 20's age group.

Edited by bzymom22

• 1 month later...