Grand injured

PonyPair

I was responding to post #210.

If that's a tender platform (not clear, but in my experience the platforms haven't opened directly to a large corridor like shown).

No one has suggested that it's the Grand as far as I can see.

It's not a tender platform. The area shown in that clip is one deck up on deck 4.

deck-4-door.jpg

The tender platforms are down on deck 3. Both can be seen in the photo above.

The door shown in the video clip is not the same size nor type of door that is currently hanging open on the Grand. Not even close.

I checked the Delta site. Delta does not fly from HNL to SFO, but has 3 or 4 flights a day from HNL to LAX depending on the day of the week. Tuesday Delta is showing approx. 260 seats available to LAX. On Wednesday and Thursday the flights are full.

It will take several large chartered aircraft to move 2500-3000 people out of Hawaii. It's going to be interesting to see how they handle it.

Thanks & charter flights would be the best option but don't know how quickly they can be scheduled. HA flies 294 passenger A-330 aircraft & with at least 6 flights from HNL to CA that appears to be about 400 available seats for Tuesday & other airlines may have similar available capacity to fill until charter flights can be arranged.

My comments were merely to say that it's the slowest time of the year for visitors to HI & thus there are more available seats on flights from the Islands than at most other times of the year which should be helpful starting passengers' journeys back home.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hi All,

So the tender platform opened while at sea for unknown reason,

OK electrical fault, some one pressing the wrong button, but I thought

those doors had a manual lock ie big pin that had to be removed before

the hydraulics would work.

anyone know for sure

yours Shogun

Not knowing the full details about technicalities involved, is there a reason why passengers would not be allowed to stay on the ship while in Honolulu? I am really not trying to be snarky ... so please, no attacks. But if I were on this ship, I wouldn't mind staying onboard until the end of my vacation and that would also free up some seats for the flights home if everyone wasn't scheduled to leave on the same date. Maybe this is unrealistic, but since Princess is paying for hotels and transport in SF (did I read that right?), couldn't they do the same in Honolulu for passengers that wanted to remain there if the ship's cabins were unavailable.

I have sailed on the Grand a couple of times and have posted that they have an amazing staff and both cruises on her were spectacular but thought the ship itself was in some real need of attention. Is this a manifestation of that?? I don't know .... but I saw rust everywhere on that ship, some of it was so bad it corroded right through the steel braces for the piping along side the ship. They attempted to paint over it even in those areas that were no longer connected. I asked when the ship would be going in for a major dry dock and was told it was in Dec 2016 but now see that they are just doing some routine maintenance (according to one of the posts in this thread) when it looks more like she may need a complete overhaul. My first time on this ship was the cruise right after that one where she broke down in Hawaii last year. Maybe the two aren't related to one another ...maybe even human error?? Who knows? Not me, that's for sure!!

It does look as though Princess is, once again, stepping up to the plate and offering a pretty generous compensation package for the passengers that are onboard. But am still curious if everyone does have to disembark shortly after they reach Honolulu or if passengers will have the choice to stay onboard or even stay in Hawaii for the remainder of their vacation. Has anyone onboard been notified if this is an option??

I only cruised the Grand once and that was right , I think right after she just came out of dry dock. But it is a nice ship. I did not read every post. Did you get to visit all the Island's before this happened?

I hope at least some of your cruise time was awesome. What happens to people who may have cars they rented that could rented and sitting in a parking lot. They need to go back to the place they have the car to return it.

I hope you are in good spirits no matter what.

For the benefit of those on board who may be following this thread; As of 9:30 am Hawaii Time you have now backtracked about 300 miles (maybe a bit more) towards Honolulu.

The tug mentioned earlier does not appear to be headed towards you, it is about 100 miles north of you right now.

track3.png

Edited by p_mori7

Not knowing the full details about technicalities involved, is there a reason why passengers would not be allowed to stay on the ship while in Honolulu? I am really not trying to be snarky ... so please, no attacks. But if I were on this ship, I wouldn't mind staying onboard until the end of my vacation and that would also free up some seats for the flights home if everyone wasn't scheduled to leave on the same date. Maybe this is unrealistic, but since Princess is paying for hotels and transport in SF (did I read that right?), couldn't they do the same in Honolulu for passengers that wanted to remain there if the ship's cabins were unavailable.

I have sailed on the Grand a couple of times and have posted that they have an amazing staff and both cruises on her were spectacular but thought the ship itself was in some real need of attention. Is this a manifestation of that?? I don't know .... but I saw rust everywhere on that ship, some of it was so bad it corroded right through the steel braces for the piping along side the ship. They attempted to paint over it even in those areas that were no longer connected. I asked when the ship would be going in for a major dry dock and was told it was in Dec 2016 but now see that they are just doing some routine maintenance (according to one of the posts in this thread) when it looks more like she may need a complete overhaul. My first time on this ship was the cruise right after that one where she broke down in Hawaii last year. Maybe the two aren't related to one another ...maybe even human error?? Who knows? Not me, that's for sure!!

It does look as though Princess is, once again, stepping up to the plate and offering a pretty generous compensation package for the passengers that are onboard. But am still curious if everyone does have to disembark shortly after they reach Honolulu or if passengers will have the choice to stay onboard or even stay in Hawaii for the remainder of their vacation. Has anyone onboard been notified if this is an option??

They probably will do a temporary repair. Then they will go directly to the scheduled dry dock in Portland Oregon. Where a proper repair will probably be done.

The USCG can probably give then a temporary permit to sail empty to the drydock facility.

We do not appear to be talking about the same door or even the same deck... possibly not even the same ship.

If this is the door from the video that WupperAv linked to (again, sorry, can't access youtube), then it is not a tender platform, that is the pilot door. There are several watertight openings in a cruise ship's hull; a couple of provision doors, a pilot door, a bunker port door, one or two water port doors, and one or two tender ports. The tender platforms are the only ones that swing out, the rest all swing in, as this one does.

They probably will do a temporary repair. Then they will go directly to the scheduled dry dock in Portland Oregon. Where a proper repair will probably be done.

The USCG can probably give then a temporary permit to sail empty to the drydock facility.

That makes sense. Thank you!!

I hope everyone stays safe in their travels.

I suspect they will have to use the ship as a hotel until they can fly most of the passengers out. Just as finding plane seats for 3000+ passengers is a challenge, so is finding hotel space for that many.

I suspect they will have to use the ship as a hotel until they can fly most of the passengers out. Just as finding plane seats for 3000+ passengers is a challenge, so is finding hotel space for that many.

I don't think they will stay onboard.

I would say they will send them to hotels and get going to the dry dock. IMO

They will secure the platform.

They will turn as fast as possible.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

They will likely weld a couple of plates to hold the door closed, and then do a "hose test" where they spray the door gasket area with a fire hose to check for leakage. That repair would be sufficient for the ship to proceed with passengers, with a "condition of class" from the class society to repair at first opportunity, knowing that parts may not be available immediately. But given the delay in getting to the shipyard in Portland, they will want to get workers onboard to start the demo work in the hotel areas, so that the carpeting will all be torn up, etc, by the time the ship gets to the yard.

I'd be really upset if they flew me to my home address if my car was sitting at the port. We often drive to the port even though we live in Ohio.

I think you would have to go to guest services and tell them that you want a flight to SFO then a Super Shuttle to the Pier to pick up your car. Is it parked at 55 Francisco or 80 Francisco or some other place?

In reading the other lengthy thread on Princess's environmental fine, there was mention from someone on the Grand about not being able to tender in Lahaini (Maui):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51669477&postcount=13

One doesn't like to add to speculation, but I wonder if there was already something suspected to be wrong with the tender platform, thus they did not want to use it....?

In reading the other lengthy thread on Princess's environmental fine, there was mention from someone on the Grand about not being able to tender in Lahaini (Maui):

One doesn't like to add to speculation, but I wonder if there was already something suspected to be wrong with the tender platform, thus they did not want to use it....?

The ship has 3 other tender platforms, even if they had to use thrusters to reverse heading to keep the side with two platforms in the lee.

As the Chief posted there are other tender platforms & tendering delays or cancellation can happen in Maui. There have been some severe weather conditions & while it's merely my speculation I feel it was weather related & not mechanical.

The last time tendering in Maui they halted it to reposition the ship to have the platforms on the leeward side of the ship.

The ship has 3 other tender platforms, even if they had to use thrusters to reverse heading to keep the side with two platforms in the lee.
Edited by Astro Flyer

?..

The tendering problems in Maui were due to a security problem onshore, not any issue with the platform.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For the benefit of those on board who may be following this thread; As of 9:30 am Hawaii Time you have now backtracked about 300 miles (maybe a bit more) towards Honolulu.

The tug mentioned earlier does not appear to be headed towards you, it is about 100 miles north of you right now.

track3.png

Thank you! This thread is how we are getting our positioning information. All is well onboard as we travel at a very sedate pace. There is a person on the bridge constantly watching the side of the ship. Think it is a 24 hour vigil.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you! This thread is how we are getting our positioning information. All is well onboard as we travel at a very sedate pace. There is a person on the bridge constantly watching the side of the ship. Think it is a 24 hour vigil.

You're welcome. I will update again later on today. Your average speed has been about 10-11 Knots. If you (or anybody else) could get more photos (safely, no need to hang off the side of the ship), we'd love to see them.

Ship Tracker sometimes shows your speed as slow as 1 Knot...have you noticed that at all so far ? Was thinking maybe they had to slow down periodically to help pump any ingested water back over the side...but that's just speculation on my part.

Almost Noon ship time right now.

Same heading towards Honolulu. Still about 300 miles to go.

There has been a fishing vessel about 50 miles behind you since I first started tracking yesterday. He is in the blue box on the map. Coincidence might have him heading towards Honolulu at the same time as you...or maybe he was asked to shadow the ship "just in case"...no way to know.

track4.jpg

:)

I'm on the Grand and so far everything seems normal. Everyone staff and cruisers seem very pleasant. And I heard that there is a cruise critic meeting today on the fifth deck wish I knew where thanks for all the information everybody still haven't gotten my return Las Vegas info yet. I'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk