How Bad Could It Be?

mevs904

We are considering making a late reservation for a January 2017 cruise on the Royal Princess. We would like to get a balcony cabin in the forward section of the ship. Right now the choices that we are considering are for a regular balcony on Deck 8 (Emerald) where Princess would choose the cabin for us or for $120 more per person we could choose a cabin on Deck10 (Caribe) of the mid-forward section.

We have sailed on the Emerald deck on the Coral and we don't have a problem walking farther from the forward part of the ship. What drawbacks might there be in having Princess assign our cabin? Would they keep us in the section that we booked? I'm assuming that they might assign us to a cabin after someone else takes an upsell or an upgrade. In other words, would it be worth it for us to save the $240?

It sounds like you're flexible people. In that case, I'd save the $240 and go with a Guarantee booking. Good luck! Edited to add: Remember that once you're assigned a cabin, if there happens to be one in the same category that has a better location, you can ask to be moved to that cabin instead. Gives you a little flexibility if it's not a full sailing.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Two points: (1) remember that Royal is a lot bigger than Coral, which might affect the walk.

(2) In reference to your title ["how bad could it be?"] -- Jeremy Clarkson might be in the cabin next to you, that's how bad it could be! [reference to Top Gear, where he and the lads often said something like this just before completely mucking things up]

That's what I wondered about. The booking category doesn't say guarantee. It just says that Princess will choose the cabin for us.

That's what "guarantee" means in cruise terms. You give up control and allow the cruise line to choose the room. You are guaranteed minimum any cabin in that CLASS or HIGHER. :)

Edited by AnonomissX
Speeling counts

It depends on how sensitive you are. Some cabins are directly above or below performance venues, restaurants, night clubs or pool decks or elevators (people tend to congregate outside elevators and talk). Certain rooms won't work for certain people - late risers would have trouble being below the lido deck when they set up pool chairs at 4 am, or early sleepers could have trouble with a room directly below a night club.

Other cruisers are less sensitive to noise and will be absolutely fine in these rooms. Also, the rooms all the way forward and back and on higher decks tend to have more motion than midship rooms, and rooms on lower decks (the Coral hit choppy waters on my Panama Canal cruise, and I was getting dizzy in the kids club. When I walked back to my room, I could barely feel the vibrations so your location on the ship can have a huge impact on how the motion affects you if you are sensitive to it). If you are sensitive, I wouldn't risk the $240. If you aren't, then save it and have a great trip!

I'm familiar with the "guarantee" concept, but have observed that on other cruise lines (eg. Disney) the booking is clearly marked guarantee. This wasn't, which is why I thought I'd ask. I am at least assuming that we wouldn't be given an obstructed view balcony.

Thank you for your very thorough response. We're fairly flexible people and probably wouldn't have a problem with the noise issues. We have also never had a problem with motion and have never taken any kind of medication.

I was curious about this offer because it was only listed in the forward section of the ship so I wondered if the random assignment would be limited to that section.

Two points: (1) remember that Royal is a lot bigger than Coral, which might affect the walk.

(2) In reference to your title ["how bad could it be?"] -- Jeremy Clarkson might be in the cabin next to you, that's how bad it could be! [reference to Top Gear, where he and the lads often said something like this just before completely mucking things up]

1) while I es, Royal is much larger than Coral - it's only 120 feet longer. Which isn't all that much at all when walking....the length of a tennis court or less than home base to second base.... It's the width and the height of the ship that makes such a difference overall...

Thank you for your very thorough response. We're fairly flexible people and probably wouldn't have a problem with the noise issues. We have also never had a problem with motion and have never taken any kind of medication.

I was curious about this offer because it was only listed in the forward section of the ship so I wondered if the random assignment would be limited to that section.

Did you book it yet? Please keep us posted on what cabin category you get assigned to in the end. Good luck!

Did you book it yet? Please keep us posted on what cabin category you get assigned to in the end. Good luck!

Yes, we booked today. We will get at least a BF class cabin. It will be interesting to see where we end up. We've booked VGT on the Disney Fantasy and were always pleased with our stateroom assignment as well as the price. Looking forward to the cruise.

Yes, we booked today. We will get at least a BF class cabin. It will be interesting to see where we end up. We've booked VGT on the Disney Fantasy and were always pleased with our stateroom assignment as well as the price. Looking forward to the cruise.

Thanks for the update. The balconies on this class ship are so small that IMO, it doesn't matter too much where your cabin is. Good luck! :)