On Board Odyssey - departing Lisbon (12/07/16 - 12/19/16)

softsands

Finally aboard Odyssey departing Lisbon in approximately two hours and change. The ship appears in fine form, nothing has jumped out to suggest its age. Spa Penthouse suite is gorgeous … lots of room for this party of one.

Staff are – as expected – their charming selves. Only irritants so far are the docking station for an Ipod device does not support my Ipod model and the internet access – as was to be expected – is absolutely, irrefutably, frustratingly … slow. A different topic for a different thread but, man, geez Seabourn, c’mon, get your tech act together.

Not sure if the champagne offered by my stewardess is the same as what sits in the bucket but it sure went down easy.

Will try to post some “as it happens” observations and findings over the course of this particular odyssey. Here's to hoping for a 'spirited' ocean to remind me that I'm on a ship.

Cheers.

A slightly delayed departure but now underway. Some decent motion at present, not quite my standard yet, but looking (feeling) promising. Captain David Bathgate has indicated “moderate” seas through this evening with the stabilizers “fully deployed” to minimize movement. Darn stabilizers …

Decided to rough it with room service this evening following a wonderful spa appointment, the first of many (I mean what else does one do on a crossing?). Must say if the meal quality in my room is any indication of the outside venues, things will be most fine. Most fine, indeed. Service was prompt, they delivered course by course (I was easy either way, they insisted), and everything I had tasted great. And am just now sitting down to dessert and cheeses enjoying The Great Escape on the large 50". So great to be back on Seabourn again!

I don't think the ship is full - I am going to try and find out the count - but it's seeming very quiet. I had no issue getting Restaurant 2 reservations and had to turn down my first hosted-table invite (due to the spa appointment).

Oh, in case you're wondering, not even the slightest scent of tobacco, even up around the Sky Bar. Just fresh sea breezes all around. A good sign (sorry, don't want to start anything).

Now, I must admit I did find another irritant … the water pressure in the bathroom is disappointing. The shower, as spacious as it is, delivers minimal spray from both the hand held and the rain fall. And, to boot, the water temperature doesn't get all that hot. Perhaps it's because I'm up on 10 but it seems I may have to take my long, hot showers in the sink. I did casually, and nicely, mention it to my stewardess - who is wonderful by the way - and apparently the plumber will be knocking on my door. In any case, the water isn't a deal breaker, and I should just shaddup and thank my lucky stars.

I did a self-guided tour earlier, the ship looks lovely in and around all the public spaces ... and the staff are just so darn nice!

Will try to stay in touch with CC.

Cheers!

A slightly delayed departure but now underway. Some decent motion at present, not quite my standard yet, but looking (feeling) promising. Captain David Bathgate has indicated “moderate” seas through this evening with the stabilizers “fully deployed” to minimize movement. Darn stabilizers …

Decided to rough it with room service this evening following a wonderful spa appointment, the first of many (I mean what else does one do on a crossing?). Must say if the meal quality in my room is any indication of the outside venues, things will be most fine. Most fine, indeed. Service was prompt, they delivered course by course (I was easy either way, they insisted), and everything I had tasted great. And am just now sitting down to dessert and cheeses enjoying The Great Escape on the large 50". So great to be back on Seabourn again!

I don't think the ship is full - I am going to try and find out the count - but it's seeming very quiet. I had no issue getting Restaurant 2 reservations and had to turn down my first hosted-table invite (due to the spa appointment).

Oh, in case you're wondering, not even the slightest scent of tobacco, even up around the Sky Bar. Just fresh sea breezes all around. A good sign (sorry, don't want to start anything).

Now, I must admit I did find another irritant … the water pressure in the bathroom is disappointing. The shower, as spacious as it is, delivers minimal spray from both the hand held and the rain fall. And, to boot, the water temperature doesn't get all that hot. Perhaps it's because I'm up on 10 but it seems I may have to take my long, hot showers in the sink. I did casually, and nicely, mention it to my stewardess - who is wonderful by the way - and apparently the plumber will be knocking on my door. In any case, the water isn't a deal breaker, and I should just shaddup and thank my lucky stars.

I did a self-guided tour earlier, the ship looks lovely in and around all the public spaces ... and the staff are just so darn nice!

Will try to stay in touch with CC.

Cheers!

Was your meal served hot? Some lines it comes warm or tepid? Some ships have devices that heat water quickly and if one malfunctions that would be an easy fix. Water pressure can vary at the time of day or some floors may have a pump. High usage will diminish water pressure. I have also noticed this in some hotels as well.

First night under my belt, the ship had a decent rock and roll cadence to it which, of course, is my preference. This morning dawned with a mix of sun and clouds and a pleasant air temperature in the mid-sixties. The seas have settled down considerably … boring. Maybe draw those stabilizers in just a touch, Captain?

Backing up a little, the interactive on-demand programming is new to me on Seabourn and I ended up watching parts of, oh, about 20 different films last night. What can I say? I’m indecisive and I bore easily. Before I knew it, it was 3am and I was hardly tired. I managed about 3 hours of sleep before my breakfast arrived: eggs benny, smoked salmon, fruit, yogurt and, of course, caffeine. Again, excellent quality in both service and food.

I’ve committed to daily workouts and hit the gym mid-morning. It’s a small space relatively speaking and was quite busy when I arrived. Fortunately, it thinned out nicely. One observation – the equipment is spaced way too close … that’s just too intimate for me, we hardly know each other.

And, how do I put this delicately, some folks, well, some folks are, uhm, oh what the heck, some folks smell. I always gargle-up before my work-outs so as not to chance emitting less than favourable odour. Anyhow, after suffering through 20 minutes with the aforementioned issue (and, to boot, this guest was also hacking away, lovely), I relocated to another equipment piece and was rewarded with an attractive and pleasingly fragrant neighbour. I was able to enjoy the rest of my work-out.

However, digressing, the gym is too small and the range of equipment type is limited.

Received the Captain’s mid-day update at, well, mid-day. 280nm travelled with 251nm to go before arriving at Madeira. Chugging along at 16 knots, ocean depth is 4,500m (14,760’) with persistent swells to continue. A comfortable day of 20 degrees under the influence of high pressure and favourable conditions forecast for the remainder of the day. We’ll be right back with a sports update after these words from our sponsor.

Also new to me on Seabourn is the Square, really a delightful location to take care of administrative matters, scan a periodical, scrounge a novel or get yourself a Latte and the like. The Latte prepared for me was excellent and was equivalent to a Starbucks offering, in my opinion. The Square can get busy, but if you’re in need of the social element, it is the happening place to find it.

The Spa’s serene area is sort of interesting. As I have unfettered access to the space due to my living temporarily just above it, it’s an easy ten seconds down the spiral stairs. Very quiet, soothing sights and sounds. The one piece that is absent is a whirlpool of some kind. The thalassothoopie, or whatever it’s called, walking pool, is just ok. Really just a glamourized foot bath. The steam and sauna rooms are good, although the rain fall showers are a disappointment. The water falls as a series of rain drops, very uninspiring. I expected a downpour with the potential to drown me if I looked up. I also noticed the temperature of the water was tepid, even at full hot setting. Not a bad area but not a ‘must do.’

Speaking of tepid water and shower pressure, the engineering and maintenance teams solved the temperature issue in my bath discovering that the hot water pipe running in from the hall was being compromised by a rogue cold water feed valve that needed to be closed. I can’t figure out their plumbing but pleased that I know I won’t get hypothermic in the tub.

Now I’m working on a hand held shower swap to get me something that can be adjusted to provide some semblance of a hardy spray. Plan A is for the E&M team to do me a solid and get it done, Plan B is all about a covert operation under the veil of darkness, navigating unseen into the Serene area’s men’s change room and switching hardware. I’ve already confirmed the fittings and the time needed in and out. It’s perfect … I’d prefer not go that route but …

Had another awesome massage from the therapist who has been assigned to me who is apparently responsible for needy and difficult spa guests. I slipped in and out of consciousness during this treatment owing to my therapist’s technique and having not really slept well the evening before. At its conclusion, I swaggered like some impaired individual up to my suite before collapsing for a refreshing nap.

I am attending my first hosted table for dinner this evening and I need to be alert and aware as this will be my first exposure to an outside dining venue – I want to be able to make an objective assessment of the service and food although you should note I will be in the Colonnade and not the Restaurant. I suppose guest services wants to evaluate my level of pedigree before allowing me into a more sophisticated venue. All good, though, as I like the theme for the Colonnade tonight – French.

This afternoon Odyssey passed an itsy-bitsy sailboat just bobbing about in the vast ocean. It was obvious Odyssey made a wide detour around this little vessel for clearance purposes. I couldn’t imagine taking on the sea in that thing. I’ll say the two (that I observed, don’t think there would have been rom for other) sailors certainly have bigger, you know, round things than I will ever have.

So, I’ll give a food report tomorrow and an update to my quest for a real shower. However, in summary, notwithstanding my First World issues, Odyssey has been a pleasure.

Cheers!

Today we're docked in Madeira ... lovely place, I had no idea how beautiful it would be. Did a self-guided walkabout in the morning and checked out its various sights and sounds.

To last night ... great news! Exciting news! Wonderful news! Engineering and Maintenance came through for me and I now have a spanking new variable shower attachment. Combined with the hot water that came late yesterday, I got the bathroom firing on all cylinders now. Good job Seabourn in getting me straightened out.

Hosted dinner last evening in the Colonnade, a perfect table of 6. An American coupled, European couple, myself, and our host, the Destinations Manager. Great conversation and some fascinating stories shared.

Regarding service and culinary quality, well, I arrived a few minutes early and was promptly seated and promptly ... ignored. For a near eight minutes, waiter after waiter passed the table with nary an acknowledgement of a seated solo guest who might like a beverage, or at the very least be welcomed. Not a great start.

Just as I was about to raise my hand to ask a question, the first couple arrived, quickly followed by our host, and the second couple. From that point, service improved and stayed consistent for the duration of the meal. The food was perfect. French night, so the obligatory snails and French onion soup, both very tasty and well-presented. My Chateaubriand was cooked perfectly and arrived hot. Dessert was both a crème brule and a chocolate mousse, the house wine served was a Pouilly-Fumé, and it was very good. Despite the auspicious start, the evening's company, food and drink was delightful. And all of it under two and a half hours.

It has been a cloudy, but warm day in Madeira, and we are a mere few hours from setting out for the long haul. There is a P&O ship in port with us, 'Ventura'. I'd like to think I know my ships but had never heard of it. It looks like your typical Princess ship.

The sea was very boring last evening and I do hope there is some action in the immediate forecast.

I haven't received an invite for a table this evening, not that I'm disappointed in any way. I can order in and catch up on some of the many films available to view.

I'll close by saying I think I pre-judged the spa Serene area and wish to change my opinion of it, as well as provide a more detailed review of my accommodation. Until then,

Cheers!

Today we're docked in Madeira ... lovely place, I had no idea how beautiful it would be. Did a self-guided walkabout in the morning and checked out its various sights and sounds.

To last night ... great news! Exciting news! Wonderful news! Engineering and Maintenance came through for me and I now have a spanking new variable shower attachment. Combined with the hot water that came late yesterday, I got the bathroom firing on all cylinders now. Good job Seabourn in getting me straightened out.

Hosted dinner last evening in the Colonnade, a perfect table of 6. An American coupled, European couple, myself, and our host, the Destinations Manager. Great conversation and some fascinating stories shared.

Regarding service and culinary quality, well, I arrived a few minutes early and was promptly seated and promptly ... ignored. For a near eight minutes, waiter after waiter passed the table with nary an acknowledgement of a seated solo guest who might like a beverage, or at the very least be welcomed. Not a great start.

Just as I was about to raise my hand to ask a question, the first couple arrived, quickly followed by our host, and the second couple. From that point, service improved and stayed consistent for the duration of the meal. The food was perfect. French night, so the obligatory snails and French onion soup, both very tasty and well-presented. My Chateaubriand was cooked perfectly and arrived hot. Dessert was both a crème brule and a chocolate mousse, the house wine served was a Pouilly-Fumé, and it was very good. Despite the auspicious start, the evening's company, food and drink was delightful. And all of it under two and a half hours.

It has been a cloudy, but warm day in Madeira, and we are a mere few hours from setting out for the long haul. There is a P&O ship in port with us, 'Ventura'. I'd like to think I know my ships but had never heard of it. It looks like your typical Princess ship.

The sea was very boring last evening and I do hope there is some action in the immediate forecast.

I haven't received an invite for a table this evening, not that I'm disappointed in any way. I can order in and catch up on some of the many films available to view.

I'll close by saying I think I pre-judged the spa Serene area and wish to change my opinion of it, as well as provide a more detailed review of my accommodation. Until then,

Cheers!

This is why we don't like hosted tables. A table for two for us or if we meet another couple that is fine. Hosted tables take too long for us to dine as people are ordering different courses and the service gets staggered.

softsands - I am afraid there is no service on a hosted table until at least the host arrives, and generally until all the guests arrive. My recommendation is never come early, but preferably not more than about 2 minutes late! The host normally arrives a bit before time, and has to stand up until everyone is there. I have to say that it is not for us, as a general rule, nowadays, but we are a couple. It can be nice for singles to do hosteds now and again, to meet others. I am glad you enjoyed the company and the meal generally.

softsands - I am afraid there is no service on a hosted table until at least the host arrives, and generally until all the guests arrive. My recommendation is never come early, but preferably not more than about 2 minutes late! The host normally arrives a bit before time, and has to stand up until everyone is there. I have to say that it is not for us, as a general rule, nowadays, but we are a couple. It can be nice for singles to do hosteds now and again, to meet others. I am glad you enjoyed the company and the meal generally.

Thank you, lincslady, I suppose I don't understand how an early-arriving guest would have no status until the host arrives, simply does not make sense to me. But then again, I'm an enigma. Anyhow, last evening's hosted table, I was again the first arrive (but only a minute or two before the start time) and our hosts were already there, so all good. Going forward, I'm going to time it for "fashionably late."

Firstly, last evening’s departure from Funchal was, in a word, magical. The sun had set moments before Odyssey detached from the pier and slowly made way toward open water. Madeira was lit up in a spectacular display of festive lights, descriptive words and pictures could not possibly do the scene the proper justice. Jazz music floated across the harbour from shore, the warm and light breeze coupled with gentle swaying as Odyssey set underway. A true “in the moment” moment that deserved no dialogue, no thinking, nothing except to embrace a very special few minutes in one’s life.

I had prepared for an evening in as no dinner invitation had come, and I was in no particular mood to seek one out, however, as I was reviewing the menu, the phone rang with guest services inquiring as to my decision regarding an invite for dinner? No card invitation had made it to my door this day so I was caught by surprise. Having had such a good evening the day before, I accepted (only slightly wondering if I was, in fact, just a last minute fill-in, and the misplaced invitation line was the go-to story to find replacements). Fill-in, or not, it didn’t matter and I looked forward to meeting a new group of guests.

The table was hosted by a married couple, hailing from Scotland as guest performers on board – the gentleman a comedian and his lovely lady a Celtic flautist. The table was for ten, making it a challenge to engage all parties in conversation but surprisingly we did well. Once again this evening, shared conversation, very pleasant dialogue and a fair bit of humour given our hosts. Service and food was excellent, my combined entries of grilled shrimp and rack of lamb outstanding as was the dessert of chocolate and peanut butter tart partnered with a hazelnut soufflé (yes, I had two (2) desserts!).

Despite the large table, we did keep dinner to two and a half hours finishing just moments before the evening’s scheduled performance by another on-board comedian/magician. It was a very entertaining 45 minutes or so, of course helped by the intake of various wines and liquors. Another great day aboard Seabourn.

This morning has come with very warm temperatures, slight seas and lots of sunshine. With a well-constructed Latte in hand, I conducted a full, self-guided tour of the ship and have now mentally mapped out all the public areas and the quickest routes getting to each. I’m finding I spend most of my time aft – the spa, gym, Colonnade, Square, Restaurant (2), and so on. Very easy to move about given my location on Deck 10. My first experience aboard the Odyssey, I appreciate the amount of space available to guests. Many areas to carve out some private space, if desired.

Speaking of private space, I wanted to spend a few minutes addressing the spa’s Serene area. While admittedly unimpressed at first, I spent more time in the space relaxing on the heated loungers and making use of both the shared and gender-specific facilities. I realized the soothing ambience and vibe that permeated the surroundings and I have concluded that I was premature in my initial evaluation. Despite the lack of a whirlpool, this is actually a great space.

The remainder of today will be spent in the gym and spa (including the aforementioned Serene area), as well as investing some inflection time out on my balcony. Additionally, I suppose Guest Services felt guilty about yesterday’s missed dinner invitation, and I have already received, and accepted, dinner invite with one of the ship’s regular entertainers (I plan to arrive at 7:32pm). A busy day in store, but all good. Until a next update,

Cheers!

Dear Softsands,

It is an absolut pleasure to read your posts. You describe the feeling of being on a ship and the luxurious leisure that Seabourn is very well.

Have a great trip and enjoy the many days the crossing takes.

Peter

Thank you, lincslady, I suppose I don't understand how an early-arriving guest would have no status until the host arrives, simply does not make sense to me. But then again, I'm an enigma.

I don't know whether or not you're an enigma, but no drinks service in a restaurant while plenty of waiters walk past and ignore you is just poor service and shouldn't happen, period.

I'm really enjoying your live report, keep the updates coming please [emoji846][emoji106]

Floris

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know whether or not you're an enigma, but no drinks service in a restaurant while plenty of waiters walk past and ignore you is just poor service and shouldn't happen, period.

I'm really enjoying your live report, keep the updates coming please [emoji846][emoji106]

Floris

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you Floris for the positive feedback. One further comment I'll make on the aforementioned issue, perhaps it would make more sense to hold back an early bird until the host, or other guests, arrive. I'd rather hang in the halls alone than site alone, ignored, in a room full of people. Anyhow, this may have been an isolated issue and as I've said, I make certain I come just slightly beyond the start time. So, all good.

We’ve entered Day 6 nearing the half way point of our journey across the North Atlantic. Not terribly much new to report, the seas remain very benign, which is great news if you’ve had a cyst removed, but disappointing news if you, like me, are seeking a little excitement on the high seas. I suppose it’s akin to the old saying “… a bad day on the golf course is still better than a good day in the office”; replace that first part with “… a calm day of seas is …”

Speaking of excitement, or lack thereof, last evening I had my first ‘miss’ at a hosted table, or shared table as many refer to it. While my four tablemate guests were interesting and pleasant, the conversation did not flow freely, or equitably, owing to, I think, a lack of hosting experience at the table. The time crawled slowly – as did (coincidently?) the service – and for the first time this sailing I had to politely excuse myself without completing the dinner service in order to make that evening’s show.

The night prior to last, my shared table with a member of the singing troupe was a hit matching the first two evenings dining with other guests. So I now sit at three out of four with another upcoming tonight.

The past two evenings provided two different entertainment themes delivered by the husband and wife team with whom I had dined with earlier in the cruise. Both of them were high energy and enjoyable to watch, she the Celtic singer / flautist, and he, a stand-up comedian. The latter of the two didn’t have the luxury of a ‘quick’ audience and many of his zingers and comic tidbits flew untouched against the back wall of the room. I caught enough to have enjoyed myself – although the sizable serving of single malt may have contributed.

We gained back one of the hours given away earlier as a result of traveling to Lisbon. It came in handy as I am observing the time whooshing by. I’m trying to orchestrate my days carefully to accommodate the key activities such as gym’ing, spa’ing, reading, napping, and the like. Despite my complaint about the pancake ocean, I can’t question our weather which has been warm, and for a large part, sunny. I enjoyed a late afternoon siesta yesterday laid out on my balcony chaise all the while taking in a snowy NFL game between the Bills and Steelers.

As we’re now into a steady state of sea, sea and sea, I thought I would scribe some thoughts on my accommodation … the corner spa penthouse. While not absolutely perfect, it is darn well near it. While I previously was not interested in aft accommodations (I like to see where I’m going, not where I’ve been), I am appreciating the benefits of this location aboard Odyssey. Notwithstanding the proximity to the spa (a circular 15 steps, for the record), the aft corner permits expansive views, a great combination of sun and shade and protection from the wind when underway.

The four spa penthouse suites on deck 10 are private and somewhat ‘isolated.’ A small hall at the top of the circular staircase gives access to each suite and comfortably sequesters. With dead space above and below the spa, the only sounds are the engine wash and the hum of the engines, neither of which are annoying in any way.

The only non-positive comments regarding location that I will make are the persistent shuddering vibration caused by the engines (as you would have gathered from my earlier musings, I enjoy motion, but this is more annoying than it is pleasant), as well the occasional scent of diesel as the stacks’ exhaust passes to the rear. I observed no settling of soot or ash that had been historically an issue with the retrofit, the installed canopy is obviously very effective. I have enjoyed several daytime meals out on the balcony and the aforementioned items are minor nuisances. Otherwise, I think the location is splendid and I have warmed up to the aft setting.

As for the suite itself, it is, too, almost perfect save for the lack of a whirlpool tub and notwithstanding my earlier issues with water temperature, pressure and fixtures. Staff were quick to correct the outside items of the three mentioned and only the pressure remains somewhat of a disappointment although I have noted that water pressure in the spa’s facilities is unimpressive, so it may be a general location cause.

Spacious enough for two persons, this suite offers far more space than needed for me as a solo traveller. The separate bedroom, large bath with a wonderfully sized shower, tub and separate water closet, and living room are all lovely. The one key benefit of the corner suite is the additional side window in the bedroom, a large floor to ceiling that really opens up the space. I can’t imagine not having it. The walk-in closet is large and I’m only using a portion of it.

The balcony is spacious with a wraparound glass partition railing that ensures an uninterrupted connection to the sea. One final comment, the isolation of the spa penthouse suites does not mean service suffers. Our stewardess seems constantly omnipresent even though she has four other suites elsewhere to manage. And, room service is always swiftly delivered.

I cannot praise this accommodation category enough and I would absolutely sail in this suite again.

The remainder of this day calls for a vigorous work-out in the gym followed by a spa pampering and an afternoon of leisure on the balcony. As we reach the mid-point of the crossing, my personal opinion is most everything aboard Odyssey is top of game and at this point future guests need not worry in the least. With that, I say sail on,

Cheers!

We’re well into Day 8 and firmly in ‘cruise control’ (pun intended) so this update will be short. The Sea Gods were pleased with me yesterday – for what reason I do not know – however the seas picked up in the early afternoon and handed out some decent motion. Not yet up to my ideal sway but a reasonable compromise between this one kook and the rest of the ship who champion for calmer conditions. Today, however, the seas are very calm, the ship’s speed scaled back, and the days are flying by.

Two hosted tables since my last post and both were outstanding in terms of host and companion guests. Two nights ago, what could only be referred to as a raucous group comprised of individuals from Northern Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Poland, Germany and Canada, made for one hell of a good time. In short, a few of us closed the bar (actually, staff simply said good night and left). It was fortunate that a further hour was recaptured on this night as it was critically required for recovery purposes.

Last night was also a superior table experience, hosted by our cruise director David E. Two wonderful couples from the U.S. and myself, the Canuck. It was certainly more controlled than the previous evening and the conversation around the table was both fascinating, interesting and highly enjoyable.

The dining has continued to be excellent, the Chef’s dinner last night was outstanding.

While conducting my morning work-out I spotted a number of whales off port side. This was the second time I observed whales on this trip and it’s been a pleasant surprise. Other than the occasional sighting of these majestic creatures, and the very infrequent ocean freighter off in the distant, we continue to sail in isolated fashion. Bermuda is now our closest land, some 600+ NM that-ah way.

As I scribe this on my balcony, I’ve detected the scent of a freshly lit cigarette. A warning earlier this week from the Captain would suggest there have been a violation, or two (or three?) of the new smoking policy. I will mention again this sailing has been noticeably fresher as compared to other cruises I’ve taken.

I’ll try to add a final update (or two) before cruise end on Monday a.m. The Seabourn product has been consistently excellent with only the odd slip, here and there, but certainly nothing to gripe about. I am admittedly envious of those who will be boarding on Monday to enjoy one of the best, if not the finest, luxury experience at sea.

Cheers!