How late can a Celebrity Transfer From Heathrow to Southampton be?

Maligator

Howdy. I've searched the boards and found only vague answers to my question. My wife and I are planning for the 2018 open booking we made. We've narrowed our choices to a handful of European itineraries, including one from Southampton that tops our list. However, due to time restraints, we'd absolutely have to take a flight that arrives at LHR around noon on embarkation day.

Will a Celebrity transfer still be picking up that late? We're not interested in hiring a service or schlepping our luggage through public transit; only interested in Celebrity-arranged.

Thanks.

That is cutting things far too tight from my perspective. If you plane is delayed, you have problems getting through immigration and customs and your bus connection is late or has issues, you miss your boat. Can you come a day earlier and stay overnight in Southampton. You haven't indicated a sailaway time which makes things even tougher about timings. Before you make any bookings check with X as to whether they will pick you up from the airport.

Edited by Beanb41

According to Google Maps, it takes 1 hour 11 minutes based on the current traffic to get drive from Heathrow to the Southampton Cruise Terminal. I assume that you bothered to look this up.

To this time, you need to add the time it will take to get from your airplane when it lands (getting off the plane, walking through the terminal, getting your luggage, finding your lost luggage, going through customs, walking to the bus, waiting for the bus to leave as you do not want to do a private cab, etc, etc, etc.). You also have to figure out how long it will take to get to through the Southampton traffic to get to the cruise terminal and to unload the bus. Finally, how long before the ship leaves do you have to be at the ship? In the States, it is 90 minutes.

You do the math and determine if you can make it. Also consider what numerous glitches could occur between the time you get to your departure airport (will not bother to list them all) and the time you get on or more likely do not get on the cruise ship.

Have you even bothered to ask Celebrity if they will pick you up at Heathrow at the time you hope to get to the bus area since if they say "no", your whole plan is dead to begin with.

Get my drift. Personally, I regard your plan as monumentally stupid but that is just my opinion. You do what you want to do.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

2018 is a long way away, flights won't even be open to book yet will they? And timetables subject to change.

We've always left Southampton about 4 to 430, so I think you need to have checked in and be on board by about 3. So that gives you about 3 hours.

Flights into Heathrow can be heavily backed up and it's not unusual to hit delays landing and long taxiing once landed.

We have never got out of Heathrow with luggage in under 50 minutes, and as UK citizens we don't have long waits at immigration. With cutbacks to staffing and worldwide security concerns, queues at Heathrow, particularly at Holiday times, have been horrendous with people often significantly delayed. I'd say allow at least 90 minutes to get out of Heathrow.

With the recent go ahead to a third runway at Heathrow, engineering might have started in 2018. This is likely to cause significant upheaval to the roads around Heathrow.

The Journey from Heathrow to Southampton might on paper take just over an hour but that won't be how at the weekend in the summer months with people heading to the beaches. Based on the last three years experience it can easily take an hour or more to do the last 5 miles alone. Your route from Heathrow is prone to several points where accidents regularly close roads (it seems like the default position on our motorways these days to close the motorway in the event of anything) or roadworks lasting months. Traffic around Southampton on busy port days (3 ships in) plus match days can mean a ring road with standstill traffic for 3-4 miles, with all this traffic trying to make a right turn into the port! If the annual boat show is on you can expect several roads to be closed and access to the port restricted to fewer entrances.

My wife and I live 160 miles from the port. A car journey which shouldn't take more than about 2 hours 30 mins. 2 years ago it took almost 4 hours with all the delay in the last 5 miles. This year, ignoring the signs for the port and driving directly across the city and making an illegal U-turn it still took 3 hours 15, after roadworks 30 miles away.

Yes, in theory you could manage it, but there are so many things that could go wrong that will mean you will arrive at the port and see your ship in the distance.

Save yourself the stress and plan to arrive the day before, or no later than 9am.

Edited by DYKWIA

We have an inquiry into Celebrity awaiting a response. I do detest arriving on the day of embarkation for the reasons outlined in the first reply. There's so little room for error. United managed to leave a bag on the ramp on a non-stop transcon last month. On one hand, I'd think the busiest international airport in the world would be equipped to process incoming passengers relatively efficiently. On the other, stuff happens.

Thanks Beanb41 and DYKWIA. I appreciate the advice.

As for the other response, it was a simple question requesting input. And input I got. Drift received and return snort of derision applied.

Edited by Maligator

With the recent go ahead to a third runway at Heathrow, engineering might have started in 2018. This is likely to cause significant upheaval to the roads around Heathrow.

That's one thing the OP won't have to worry about - it will still be in planning in 2018, construction not likely to start until 2020/1.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

According to Google Maps, it takes 1 hour 11 minutes based on the current traffic to get drive from Heathrow to the Southampton Cruise Terminal. I assume that you bothered to look this up.

And, I would suggest, Southampton (soccer club) were not playing at home. If they were "current traffic" could result in it taking 1 hour 11 minutes just to drive through the town.

We have an inquiry into Celebrity awaiting a response. I do detest arriving on the day of embarkation for the reasons outlined in the first reply. There's so little room for error. United managed to leave a bag on the ramp on a non-stop transcon last month. On one hand, I'd think the busiest international airport in the world would be equipped to process incoming passengers relatively efficiently. On the other, stuff happens.

Thanks Beanb41 and DYKWIA. I appreciate the advice.

As for the other response, it was a simple question requesting input. And input I got. Drift received and return snort of derision applied.

How about a snort of derision for a port-specific post on the general Celebrity board about a topic that has been commonly addressed before on the relevant port-focussed board?

Stuart

, I'd think the busiest international airport in the world would be equipped to process incoming passengers relatively efficiently. On the other, stuff happens.

You'd think wouldn't you! Unfortunately not the case. Delays of 2-3 hours on peak period, uproar in the press, questions asked in the houses of parliament etc etc.

If you're determined to make it work I hope you and your travelling companions aren't the nervous types....

Having booked flights with Celebrity for our TA departing Southampton in Oct 2017, I can only feedback what I was advised.

The Celebrity flight desk agent advised that we would have to take a flight that would arrive into London Heathrow terminal 5 before 11 am in order to take the shuttle to Southampton.

Having flown into Southampton from Scotland, it can take more than an hour on the Celebrity transfer from Southampton Airport to the ship and we have done it on both Saturdays and Sundays when there are a number of ships embarking and it has been the same both days. It gets worse if there is a football game on as well.

We flew into LHR last May and it was the longest time we ever experienced to just get out of an airport. It was at least an hour and a half, with more than 45 minutes spent in the immigration line (very slow moving, although this is of course related to how many international flights from the US are arriving.) I'm not going to be snarky here, but I think you'll have hard time making the ship even if your place arrives on time. But, if you are determined to try it, you may want to reconsider and use a private car service. We used Smith's for Airports, the service was efficient and friendly, the price was less than 2 Celebrity transfers ----- they will load you in and leave immediately, best chance for a quick ride to Southampton.

We flew into LHR last May and it was the longest time we ever experienced to just get out of an airport. It was at least an hour and a half, with more than 45 minutes spent in the immigration line (very slow moving, although this is of course related to how many international flights from the US are arriving.) I'm not going to be snarky here, but I think you'll have hard time making the ship even if your place arrives on time. But, if you are determined to try it, you may want to reconsider and use a private car service. We used Smith's for Airports, the service was efficient and friendly, the price was less than 2 Celebrity transfers ----- they will load you in and leave immediately, best chance for a quick ride to Southampton.

We flew into LHR in September. Also used Smith's...GREAT SERVICE...couldn't have been quicker...He was parked right outside where we finally got out of the "secure" part of the airport.

If you are able to get Celebrity transfer, might be best in this case...At least they know you are coming and take responsibility to get you to the ship at some point...I would bet that the time frame you are indicating will be too late to book with them. (but I have absolutely no info on what departure time is).

On our trip, which was on MSC, the ship didn't leave until 6pm, but we came in a day early anyway.

LHR: We walked what seemed like a mile or more (I wish I really knew how far it was) to get from plane through customs. I would suggest you try to get seats on plane near the door...That can save you a half hour on some flights.

So what is your plan if a celebrity transfer is not available? I second the suggestion of a private car. But it is all over the news about the horrible wait times at LHR for customs. Just curious as to why you have to take this particular flight on the day of embarkation?

So what is your plan if a celebrity transfer is not available? I second the suggestion of a private car. But it is all over the news about the horrible wait times at LHR for customs. Just curious as to why you have to take this particular flight on the day of embarkation?

The alternative is to choose another itinerary. My wife's unholy boss set a limit of 10 consecutive business days any employee (except the boss, of course) can take for vacation at one time. :(

Thanks for the constructive replies and advice! Looks like we'll save this one for another time.

LHR: We walked what seemed like a mile or more (I wish I really knew how far it was) to get from plane through customs. I would suggest you try to get seats on plane near the door...That can save you a half hour on some flights.

Totally true. On one of our hikes through Heathrow, there was a rest room halfway down the corridor just in case you forgot to go before landing and could not make it to the main terminal.

Got this off the internet -

"Airports with the furthest distance from terminal entrance to the furthest gate, including shuttle transfers within the airport:

Within the United Kingdom:

Gatwick (North Terminal) - 1.8 kilometers

Heathrow (Terminal 5) - about 1.22 kilometers

Manchester - about 0.91 kilometers

Stansted - 0.77 kilometers 

Luton - 0.53 kilometers 

"

Also this from another site -

"Our flight landed around 10 and it took us a solid two hours to get off the plane, get through immigration, pick up luggage, find a bathroom and catch the train."

LOL but true.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

The alternative is to choose another itinerary. My wife's unholy boss set a limit of 10 consecutive business days any employee (except the boss, of course) can take for vacation at one time. :(

Thanks for the constructive replies and advice! Looks like we'll save this one for another time.

Be careful not to get sick the day before you go on holiday ;)

Your blood pressure will be up if you do what you say. We ALWAYS stay at least one or two days before a cruise, if not more. South Hampton is a easy place to embark a ship from Hotels, assuming you are mobile you did not say and has a lot to see there as well. Place like the Titanic Bar where the cruisers and crew drank before the Titanic voyage, to a small chapel on a main street with referenced to"Crossing the Bar" 1889 poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson, trip to the isle Wight, get on a train and go to Brighton, Bath, I guess you get the idea.

PS we did the National express to SH and it was a PITA(the first time) to locate in the Airport and a LONG very busy highway ride to SH.

To this time, you need to add the time it will take to get from your airplane when it lands (getting off the plane, walking through the terminal, getting your luggage, finding your lost luggage, going through customs, walking to the bus, waiting for the bus to leave as you do not want to do a private cab, etc, etc, etc.). You also have to figure out how long it will take to get to through the Southampton traffic to get to the cruise terminal and to unload the bus. Finally, how long before the ship leaves do you have to be at the ship? In the States, it is 90 minutes.

You do the math and determine if you can make it. Also consider what numerous glitches could occur between the time you get to your departure airport (will not bother to list them all) and the time you get on or more likely do not get on the cruise ship.

Have you even bothered to ask Celebrity if they will pick you up at Heathrow at the time you hope to get to the bus area since if they say "no", your whole plan is dead to begin with.

Get my drift. Personally, I regard your plan as monumentally stupid but that is just my opinion. You do what you want to do.

DON

1 hour 11 would almost be a record on that route!

Not everyone can fly into an embarkation port days ahead of time. Some of us work and can't be off that long.

To answer your question, my non-stop flight was due to arrive at 12:15pm on the day of embarkation. It think it was closer to 12:30 though. There were about 5 or 6 of us on this flight that were taking the cruise line transfers to Southampton. Once through customs, security and picking up our luggage, the anxious cruise line rep. whisked us onboard the bus and we were off immediately. Nice! No waiting around for others to board for a change! The bus was pretty empty (only about 20 people) so I spread out and got comfy while others sat squished in their seats like obedient children.

We arrived at the port around 2:15pm and waited in long lines to board. We made it in plenty of time so I wouldn't hesitate to do this again (and I have out of necessity) BUT - I had a Plan B and a Plan C prepared just in case I didn't make it to the ship in time. This is VERY important!

I researched the trains and ferries and figured out multiple ways that I could catch up with the ship if need be. I loaded important phone numbers into my phone ahead of time and had print-outs of transportation schedules, just in case.

Of course coming in for a cruise on the day of embarkation is NOT the ideal, but sometimes you have to do it any way you can. Turned out to be one of the best cruises ever. ;)

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Great,it worked for you and you wouldn't hesitate doing it again, what if your flight had been 30 minutes later , it had taken. 2 hours to get off the plane and exit get airport at peek period and then got stuck in traffic for 1 hour at Winchester and on the approach for another 90 minutes as was the case this summer. Arriving from outside the U.K. At a scheduled time of 12 and expecting to be at Southampton by 3 pm is asking for trouble

I have flown may time on British Airways in Business and 1st Class. Before we land they give us a FASTPASS. It gets us into the faster lines. We also have Global Entry in the USA. I have been getting emails about.

Registered Traveller Program — United Kingdom

Citizens of the US, Canada, Australia, Japan and New Zealand can apply for the recently updated Registered Traveller Service offered by the UK Border Force, making for a speedy and simple customs and arrival experience into the UK.