Gratuties Compulsory All Sailings after 15 January 2017.

Instead of calling this mandatory fee "gratuities", why don't we start calling it a resort fee or something similar. This worked for the hotels, probably would be good for the cruise lines. It would take all of the emotion out of this fee.

I can only guess they're living by the spirit of the US Fair Labor Standards Act (although I can think of no reason why they'd be required to). Under the FLSA, only a "gratuity" can be used to offset minimum wage and qualify a tipped employee for the lower minimum wage. If the employer collects a "service charge" or similar fee, even if it's passed on to the employee, it doesn't count for the tip offset. A tip automatically added to a tab (like some bars and restaurants) is still a tip for that purpose. So there appears to be a financial advantage to the employee and employer.

All of which just adds to the confusion of visitors from countries that don't tip...

I am not understanding this at all so please help me out. I JUST bought a Harmony cruise for April 2017 and gratuitites were certainly NOT part of the final price.

Yes, I realize that the daily gratuity charge will BE added once we embark and unless the website has been amended, the option of changing the amount charged by "discussing" such with the Guest Services folks on board (before the final night and good luck with that line-up) is still in writing.

I have no trouble with this and the auto charge for gratuitities is not new. What you are saying IS new is the inability to remove many of the charges so please clarify this and thank you.

This thread is about Australian cruises booked in Australia - if you booked Harmony it's definitely not in Australia so this doesn't apply to you.

I'm off next Tuesday from Sydney. I'll try and take tips off on the last night like some Americans do see if the system lets me...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

After reading so many post about how this would/could never be done (tax, tradition, service etc) and knowing full well that it was working this way for a few years on Princess, P&O, Carnival sailings out of Australia I am very pleased to see this change.

While I have always complied with the "when in Rome" philosophy I must admit that tipping as a remuneration method is not my preferred style.

Now when I book a cruise through the RCL Australia website or with an Aussie TA I know that I am paying a price that will see staff being paid at a pre determined rate (that is between them and their employer) and that I know I have paid the pre determined price to cover that. No need to think about anything else.

If I have an issue with service (highly unlikely) I will deal with it by the same method I do in Australia. In order.

1) A friendly polite word to the staff member.

2) A discussion with supervisors.

3) Comments in my cruise evaluation or to management after the cruise if not resolved.

4) Send my business elsewhere.

After reading so many post about how this would/could never be done (tax, tradition, service etc) and knowing full well that it was working this way for a few years on Princess, P&O, Carnival sailings out of Australia I am very pleased to see this change.

While I have always complied with the "when in Rome" philosophy I must admit that tipping as a remuneration method is not my preferred style.

Now when I book a cruise through the RCL Australia website or with an Aussie TA I know that I am paying a price that will see staff being paid at a pre determined rate (that is between them and their employer) and that I know I have paid the pre determined price to cover that. No need to think about anything else.

If I have an issue with service (highly unlikely) I will deal with it by the same method I do in Australia. In order.

1) A friendly polite word to the staff member.

2) A discussion with supervisors.

3) Comments in my cruise evaluation or to management after the cruise if not resolved.

4) Send my business elsewhere.

Excellent post!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The difference being that any restrictions won't affect citizens of the U.S. only cantankerous people from outside of the country.;)

Without People from outside the USA where would the USA be today !!!!

Not on a cruise ship at least.

We Europeans lead the way in ship building !!!!

Without People from outside the USA where would the USA be today !!!!

Not on a cruise ship at least.

We Europeans lead the way in ship building !!!!

I only referenced "cantankerous outsiders".;) And, BTW, I am an Italian citizen. We built some of the most beautiful liners in the past.:cool:

I only referenced "cantankerous outsiders".;) And, BTW, I am an Italian citizen. We built some of the most beautiful liners in the past.:cool:

And now too. Carnival's ships come from Fincantieri in Italy.

All cruises bought on the Australian Royal Caribbean website now for travel after 15 January 2017 include gratuities.

No option for removal.

Does not matter if cruise leaves from Sydney. Brisbane. Fort Lauderdale. Southampton, San Juan. Singapore etc.

Where do you see this? I am doing a mock booking on the RCI AU site (Legend of the Seas, Jan 29, departs Brisbane) and see the following:

Pricing Terms & Conditions

Prices are per person based on the average of passenger 1 and passenger 2 in Australian Dollars, based on twin occupancy and inclusive of all taxes & fees, which could be subject to change but any such changes would be apparent before you book. As such, you will always see the total fare inclusive of taxes and fees. Where you have opted in to pay onboard gratuities (tips), these will be added later in the booking process and before the cruise is booked. You will therefore see the total cruise price at the time of booking. Prices shown are for the lowest grade cabins available within each category. Prices shown are for the lowest priced departure of multiple departure dates (supplements apply for other dates) and are for new individual bookings only. Prices are subject to change and any such changes would be apparent at the time of booking.

Good to hear - sadly, people from countries where paying gratuities is not the norm often remove their gratuities and pay what they "feel" is right, usually to the detriment of the workers.

Funny that you say it's people from countries where tipping isn't the norm.

But at least once a week I read someone from the USA, suggesting that they do just that, removes the tips and pay what they want, to who they want.

But that's right it's only people from non tipping cultures that do it.

Sheesh, give us a break.

I am sure there is some corporate tax reason for this, but if they are now mandatory, why not just increase the price of the cruise and do away with them? Other than the possibility a few years later they may magically "re-appear" without a corresponding reduction in the cruise price.

That's what they do in Australia.

Gratuity: A small sum of money given for a service over and above what is due. -Merriam-Webster

So if it is "compulsory" is it really a Gratuity? Sounds more like a tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually it is more like a service charge. ;)

Actually it's more like the company is charging what they can and paying there staff. Gee what a novel concept.

Where do you see this? I am doing a mock booking on the RCI AU site (Legend of the Seas, Jan 29, departs Brisbane) and see the following:

Pricing Terms & Conditions

Prices are per person based on the average of passenger 1 and passenger 2 in Australian Dollars, based on twin occupancy and inclusive of all taxes & fees, which could be subject to change but any such changes would be apparent before you book. As such, you will always see the total fare inclusive of taxes and fees. Where you have opted in to pay onboard gratuities (tips), these will be added later in the booking process and before the cruise is booked. You will therefore see the total cruise price at the time of booking. Prices shown are for the lowest grade cabins available within each category. Prices shown are for the lowest priced departure of multiple departure dates (supplements apply for other dates) and are for new individual bookings only. Prices are subject to change and any such changes would be apparent at the time of booking.

Royal is notorious for not keeping their website updated. Here is the link to the announcement.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7384

The system of tipping on cruise ships (and in USA dining) sucks, but it arrived at its current state for a reason. Including fair wages in the cruise price would add taxes -- ultimately costing more overall, and some people would still tip more on top of that. We're better off as-is.

I understand it that the tips are split between all workers in the departments that receive gratuity. So if somebody delivers poor service, what are you going to do? Remove your tips and stiff the whole crew? Remove one category and stiff a whole department? Remove one day of one category and stiff a whole department for one day? Remove all tips and give a cash reward to those who serve you directly, potentially stiffing the rest of the department behind the scenes (those who wash and fold napkins, take care of the common areas, etc)? None of those options are fair or make any sense.

Most of the crew are excellent. If somebody is really that bad, get their name and write a letter of complaint. It may affect their compensation or ability to receive a future contract. If it's not worth the energy to write the letter, it isn't worth the energy to linger on either.

We can only address RCCL tioping policy since as Pinnacle we have the most experience. Over the years we have discussed this with both active and no longer sailing cabin stewards. First, ONLY the cabin stewards participate in the gratuity program, the behind the scenes are all paid a salary. Although the tip distribution shows $ going to "other hotel services" no one can identify who gets it.

Royal is notorious for not keeping their website updated. Here is the link to the announcement.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7384

Thanks for the link :)

Just decided to do a few more mock bookings on cruises I have been monitoring since October, still not seeing the impact as the prices have not moved apart from one that has sold out JS's so GS's have jumped up.

One booking:

Guest 1

Cruise Fare 1,225.00

Taxes & Fees 60.72

Guest 2

Cruise Fare 1,225.00

Taxes & Fees 60.72

Discounts & Credits

BOGOHO - 613.00

Average cost per person 979.22

Grand Total

1,958.44 AUD

Not sure if I know how to add a picture but I have taken a screenshot of the next stage still showing optional addition of gratuities when choosing MTD so I am left wondering....

630217039_RCIMockBook.jpg.03ab479eb327e9138d61dacadeec54e2.jpg

I tried to read every post here...but did anyone post that they know when and how the staff gets the gratuity? Do you know for a fact that that the line gives the workers the amount that they say they do? My last room stewart stated that it takes a "while" to get the included tip, that the money is part of the money that he earns for the whole time. He said that when he gets cash...it is his right then and there! So one needs to find out who really benefits from the tips being included.

Seems hard for many to grasp, that it's Aus only.

and I don't think it is because more Aussies than other nationalities are removing grats. Generally we believe in a fair go and giving employees a decent wage (law in Australia). Here is a comparison of countries from 2016 http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-31/minimum-wage-how-does-australia-compare/7461794

I suspect the move is because many are not used to tipping and the other cruise lines have already made it easier for their customers (and their staff) by making it automatic.