Advice please

lbfluffy

I'm researching the Star Princess 15 days December 19th 2017. I'm trying to not break the bank, but I do not want an inside for such a beautiful itinerary. I'm torn between the OE category a port hole Aloha 748. It would give me the opportunity to go a few steps out my door and be by the Terrace pool. Or go with the BF balcony cabin in room A748 toward the front of the ship. The difference in price is $400. If anyone can help us decide that would be great.

Since most of your days will be sea days a balcony isn't the end all be all. The upgrade will cost your approximately $26. per day. A748 looks to be a rear facing cabin (sweet) but you are under the Lido deck, albeit the outside area from the buffet. You'll hear foot steps and chairs moving...plus it is prone to vibration from the props. I'd strongly consider the balcony....Personally I never book a room under the Lido, or over a restaurant, lounge or showroom.

P.S. Add to the do not book list......under the gym, and below any walking deck.

Edited by DougMacP
addition

IMHO I would never book a room on Aloha deck due to the fact that Lido is right above the cabin you selected A748. The Horizon court is above you and you will hear people walking around above you, chairs scraping the floor. You might hear MUTS when you're sitting on your balcony. Been there and done that. We would never get an inside cabin or a port hole or OV to Hawaii or any other place. Once you get a taste of a balcony you won't want to cruise another way. Spend the extra money on a cabin with a balcony on a different deck - like the Caribe. Larger balconies. JMHO

We only book insides and OVs so won't address the balcony preference other than to say that for the first few days and the last few days, the weather may be on the cool side. there could be exceptions, as on our first Hawaiian cruise, it was warm on our way back (we were back in LA on Jan 6 during a post-storm heat spell and it was in the 80s, even though there was still snow on the San Bernandino mountains). but we got rain on the other two cruises. It will be in the high 70s, most likely when approaching and in the islands. You won't know ahead of time if you'll have a typically cool, rainy cruise.

We were on the Aloha deck, inside far aft on the Golden on our last cruise, and we were concerned being under that pool area. Only heard scrapping chairs on one night and just for a few minutes. don't know if that was a fluke or should be a real concern. But it was nice being able to walk past just a couple of cabins and go out the back door and be in a little pool area for watching the ship arrive in port...and be a set of steps down from the back entrance of the Horizon court.

We had an obstructed OV on the Emerald deck but it really wasn't totally obstructed much of the time and we actually had a good view coming into ports (if you don't mind a rope or two).

While I have read many posts here on CC by those who say to never book on Aloha deck due to chair scraping, etc. from Lido deck just above you we had a very different experience.

We sailed SF to Hawaii (15 days) on Star Princess and had a balcony cabin on Aloha deck. We were in A408 which is right under the pool deck on Lido. We never heard noise from MUTS nor did we experience noise from chair scraping, etc. when the crew took care of the loungers and the dining chairs. Perhaps we were just lucky but we had zero issues with noise even though we were in a cabin in an area where many people say they will never stay.

We really did enjoy and make use of our balcony with all of those sea days but my wife has "eyed" those porthole cabins in the past for the same reasons you have. A quick step out and down to the Terrace Pool and the same for HC. You definitely pay for the location though as you have less of a view than in a standard OV cabin but pay more.

I always book (an Inside) far aft on Aloha to have easy access to the Terrace Pool and the tiered, aft outside decks - it's just a few steps 'out & up' to the Horizon Terrace, Outrigger Bar and Horizon Court. It's (sort of) like having the biggest 'balcony' on the ship. I've never had a problem with noise from Lido Deck or vibration.

If money is a consideration (you say you are trying not to break the bank), consider an Inside cat. IE aft on Aloha - A744/45.

I would not consider the four, rear-facing Outside rooms across the stern because the extra money for a window is not worth it to me when I have such easy access to the outside deck (but that's just me).

As for a Balcony room, I would much prefer to be aft on Aloha to fore. If it's not already booked, I'd grab A746 because of it's larger balcony, plus easy access to the outside deck with Terrace Pool etc. - the best of both worlds!

we sailed on the Coral last year to the Panama Canal. Our room was A209 (aloha) the very first cabin after the bridge. We LOVED it. There was no noise what so every from the Horizon Court above. We had the best seat in the house for the canal (IMHO). We will ask for it again for our next Canal cruise!

we sailed on the Coral last year to the Panama Canal. Our room was A209 (aloha) the very first cabin after the bridge. We LOVED it. There was no noise what so every from the Horizon Court above. We had the best seat in the house for the canal (IMHO). We will ask for it again for our next Canal cruise!

Coral is a whole different world from Star. Those fore and aft viewing areas are great. We had an aft-facing OV on Baja for our 17 day canal trip. It was like having a huge balcony just a few steps away. On Star this isn't really an option.

I like the previous poster's plan of an aft inside. Much less expensive than the porthole rooms and the portholes, while offering the benefit of sunlight, aren't really usable as viewing windows from what I've read here. Our first cruise was 10 days SF to Alaska and back and was in a tiny (on Sea Princess) inside cabin. It was such a "horrible" experience that it got us totally hooked on cruising. :D An inside on Star will be larger than the one we had on Sea Princess.

Edited by Thrak

Due to all the sea days, I would spring for the balcony. The Hawaii cruise is the one I used our balcony the most. It was so peaceful and relaxing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband says he wants to go for a balcony. We will have to do some serious cutbacks for the extra cost. However we may be going out of San Francisco since it is closer.

IMHO I would never book a room on Aloha deck due to the fact that Lido is right above the cabin you selected A748. The Horizon court is above you and you will hear people walking around above you, chairs scraping the floor. You might hear MUTS when you're sitting on your balcony. Been there and done that. We would never get an inside cabin or a port hole or OV to Hawaii or any other place. Once you get a taste of a balcony you won't want to cruise another way. Spend the extra money on a cabin with a balcony on a different deck - like the Caribe. Larger balconies. JMHO

I booked a cabin on the Aloha deck never again for all the reasons above.

Tony

IMHO I would never book a room on Aloha deck due to the fact that Lido is right above the cabin you selected A748. The Horizon court is above you and you will hear people walking around above you, chairs scraping the floor.

A748 is not under the Horizon Court. It should be very quiet there.

I'm researching the Star Princess 15 days December 19th 2017. I'm trying to not break the bank, but I do not want an inside for such a beautiful itinerary. I'm torn between the OE category a port hole Aloha 748. It would give me the opportunity to go a few steps out my door and be by the Terrace pool. Or go with the BF balcony cabin in room A748 toward the front of the ship. The difference in price is $400. If anyone can help us decide that would be great.

What is the cabin number of the BF you are considering?

A748 is not under the Horizon Court. It should be very quiet there.

I get those cabins all the time. Best location on the ship and very quiet. It is NOT toward the front of the ship but aft. We were once in A476 on the Star and never heard a thing from above us. A748 has even less above it, a sunning deck.

Edited by shredie

What is the cabin number of the BF you are considering?

My husband and I talked. Things may be changed up a bit. We may take the Grand out of San Francisco and possibly take our 27 year old daughter. My TA says BC is the lowest category available right now. We need to decide quick. I know this sailing will sell out.

Jessica

My husband says he wants to go for a balcony. We will have to do some serious cutbacks for the extra cost. However we may be going out of San Francisco since it is closer.

I would say it'll be worth some sacrifices. And hey, maybe you'll receive a price drop or 2 over the next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I have read many posts here on CC by those who say to never book on Aloha deck due to chair scraping, etc. from Lido deck just above you we had a very different experience.

These are often the same people that also state that they "would never book a cabin in this area of the ship"

One must ask: Is it prudent to take advice from those that have never actually booked these cabins?

We found booking the upper (Aloha/Riviera) cabins aft(near the Terrace Pool) to be our favorite spot to book a cabin.

star-princess-princess-cruises-cruise-ship-photos-2014-10-11-at-san-francisco-california.jpg

14279801553_463a3209f3_z.jpg

As one can see, the Horizon Court is not directly above A748. Rather, A748 is below an arm of the Lido level (above the tiered Terrace Deck), and being on the furthest port position, it doesn't have any deck space above it.

Even if it were directly below the main area of the Horizon Court...We have booked a few cabins located directly below the HC and have not experienced any of the claims of disruptions made by those that may have never actually booked cabins in this area. MUTS is nowhere near the Terrace Pool FWIW.

We love having the Terrace Pool a few steps away. As well as the convenience of the HC nearby. The one downfall is that it can be sort of a hike getting back to the cabin after a long day in port.

For a sailing with a lot of sea days, the proximity to the adult-only rear pool for easy access to/from one's cabin is a no-brainer.

EDIT: Oh wait. What am I doing here. Forget everything I've stated here. These cabins suck. Don't ever book them. It's amazing that Princess can even sell them. ;)

Edited by Skai

We were on the Star last year three separate times for a total of 40 days, including Christmas and New Year's in South America. The aft balconies are sweet, sweet, sweet. C753 is one of the bast cabins on the ship imho. We also enjoyed C730. But, for our long cruise we couldn't afford a balcony so we booked a forward interior on Aloha (221) for 31 days and bought 1/2 days on Sanctuary for all sea days ($40 x 16 days was MUCH cheaper than a balcony). The best of all worlds. The service in Sanctuary was extraordinary. And we slept like babies in total darkness each night.

Have a great Christmas cruise. The Star on Christmas and New Years is fun, fun, fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Oh wait. What am I doing here. Forget everything I've stated here. These cabins suck. Don't ever book them. It's amazing that Princess can even sell them. ;)

Yes. That's what you tell people!

P.S. I'm absolutely dreading my upcoming cruise in A740 on the Diamond. ;)

One must ask: Is it prudent to take advice from those that have never actually booked these cabins?

A lot of 'advice' on cruise critic is simply people repeating

what they have read on cruise critic.

An excellent example of this is 'will my balcony connect with the next one'.

Like most free advice, (almost) worth the price.