A Leap from HAL to Crystal

PCruzer

Better sit down for this one, kazu with all this back and forth about HAL and Crystal but I will say Crystal, for the price as a smaller premium setting, is probably a better experience than the Prinsendam, except for the really special Prinsendam Neptune suites and of course her always superior Prinsendam itineraries.

P's smaller size may get her into better harbors too. But one does "feel" luxury more on Crystal - which again is the degree of the better decor, plush carpets and higher-end finishings.

I've been on seven or eight lines, my favorites have changed a few times. I don't value a line because they give me free laundry or discounted drinks or similar perk. I don't value a cruise line because the staff seems to remember my name from a previous cruise because we know they are drilled on our names and pictures before we board. I don't care about pins or meeting the captain.

I shake my head when someone tries to compare mass market to premium and luxury. You pay more for a reason and premium, luxury lines deliver much much much more.

We all have opinions.

Over the years I've read Berlitz and value their standard methodologies to compare lines. It is the closest cruise rating system to Consumer reports. The author and a small team sail cruise ships as full time jobs and rate individual ships for standard metrics. Food, service, entertainment, ship quality, cabins and overall experience are some of the individual categories. Total numerical scores are entered for each category and the ship and they have some formula to average ratings for the lines.

I find their ratings infinitely sensible based by our experiences.

Each ship has a full page write up. The narratives don't change much from year to year but the scores definitely do. I write down scores for lines I've sailed or are considering. Too many to list them all here.

For mass market lines Celebrity Solstice ships are highly rated all coming in with scores in the 1500's. The two newest Princess ships Royal and Regal came in well at scores of 1528 and 1527.

Royal Caribbean rated well with Quantum and Anthem rated in the 1500's

Holland America scores have slipped over the years. Maasdam and Veendam were lowest rated 1346 and 1353, not well regarded by the scorers.

The highest scoring were NA and Eurodam 1433, 1447.

K dam had a full page description in the 2016 edition but not rated yet. I expect it will rate well.

Prinsendam was 1421 and eight HAL ships rated higher. The narrative mentioned a two class system between the Neptune Suites and the rest of the ship.

Disney rated well with Fantasy and Dream in the 1500's. The reviewers aptly gave high scores to entertainment, ship quality and lower scores to the food.

Crystal symphony 1687 and Serenity 1693.

Oceania Marina and Riviera 1679 and 1682 with the R ships in the mid 1500's.

Viking Star 1698.

Azamara mid 1500's sailing R ships.

That's enough numbers. To the OP and anyone else considering a change, give Crystal a try.

I sail all three... Crystal, Oceania and Hal

Crystal IMO does everything very well. Service is top notch, ships are always immaculate, food is outstanding and presentation is beautiful. Special requests are always met. They will prepare anything you ask for if the ingredients are available. As someone else mentioned bar service is also wonderful and the all inclusive factor just makes it an even better experience. The open aft decks are a rarity today and they are beautiful open spaces and quite deep allowing for side views as well. The traditional promenade deck is also wonderful, lots of connection with the sea. Cabins are smallish but well laid out and comfortable. One pays a premium for all of this.

Oceania does a lot of things well too but is less refined. Food is excellent with endless choices but a notch below Crystal especially in presentation and service is good but not as friendly as on Crystal , the exception being breads and pastries which are irresistible, special French ingredients are used and it shows. Entertainment is lacking and there is much less connection with the sea. No promenade deck and most views of the sea are through glass other than on a private veranda. On Riviera and Marina cabins, especially PH category and higher are spacious and well appointed. Drinks are expensive and when adding a premium drink package often brings cost to almost as much as sailing Crystal.

Holland has fallen to last on my list. I have almost 200 days on Holland and Ten years ago the differences although obvious were much less drastic. I loved the Vista and Signature class ships but now with the additional cabins taking away precious public spaces, more cabanas, changes and reductions in entertainment and staffing the overall experience feels much less premium and much more mass market!!! The biggest most obvious change to me is the horrible decline in food quality and choices. Price being the obvious reason for this decline and with such reasonable fares it is worth paying for specialty dining which is still good but has also declined. Also what used to be " the spotless fleet", not true today although still well maintained.

this false comparison of premium priced ships with mainline priced HAL?

I agree Salty.

Comparing HAL to these premium priced cruise lines, is sort of like comparing a Mercedes Benz to a Chevy.

Also, I noticed that the Berlitz scores given, seem to show the larger the ship the higher the score.

There are those who still believe that HAL is a premium cruise line.

They are living in the past. HAL prices do from time to time reflect those of a premium line but other comparisons are not fair to HAL or to the premium and luxury lines.

Edited by iancal

Also, I noticed that the Berlitz scores given, seem to show the larger the ship the higher the score.

The description of the Prinsendam was either hopelessly out of date, or incorrect in the first place. If the descriptions of the other ships have similar errors, they can't be counted on for basing a decision on whether or not to cruise.

Better sit down for this one, kazu with all this back and forth about HAL and Crystal but I will say Crystal, for the price as a smaller premium setting, is probably a better experience than the Prinsendam, except for the really special Prinsendam Neptune suites and of course her always superior Prinsendam itineraries.

P's smaller size may get her into better harbors too. But one does "feel" luxury more on Crystal - which again is the degree of the better decor, plush carpets and higher-end finishings.

Thanks OlsSalt. Since Crystal is luxury, I would expect the experience on her to be better than the Prinsendam :) At least, I would certainly hope so ;)

There are those who still believe that HAL is a premium cruise line.

They are living in the past. HAL prices do from time to time reflect those of a premium line but other comparisons are not fair to HAL or to the premium and luxury lines.

Why? This has never made sense to me. HAL is and continues to be a very good value cruise line, all things considered.

One other consideration is when the entry level cabin prices on a premium cruise line are similar or exceed the top level HAL prices, the overall feeling of the ship will be quite different from a HAL ship experience which has a much broader range of cabin choices at different price points.

The premium lines then become a self-selecting clientele whose key common denominator overall is a willingness and expectation to get "premium" attention and amenities. Those of us who find more comfortable price point entries for HAL cruises, don't come on board expecting "premium" benefits, service, decor or amenities.

Where is Regent in this false comparison of premium priced ships with mainline priced HAL?

We just went on a Regent B2B to New England/Canada and loved it.

I found it comparable to Crystal with the exception of the cabins which are larger on Regent. Also thought the food was better on Crystal overall. However, Regent food was exceptional in one of the specialty restaurants and some of the nights in the main dining room.

For the value, Regent includes all excursions except some that people may have to pay for if they chose to go. But most are included. Crystal does not offer that. Crystal is cheaper overall because excursions, hotel and airfare are not included.

We have not been on HAL in years but are going next Spring.

Have also been on Celebrity, Azamara, Royal Caribbean, NCL (years ago).

Would like to try Seabourn but do not like the 7:30 dining times.

I think that it is down to preferences.

When we are down to the short strokes after selecting an itinerary we would typically only compare HAL with Princess, Celebrity, RCI pricing if there were ships of those lines that we were considering. From our perspective they are all very similar other than ship specific differences.

If we were looking for a premium or luxury experience these ships/cruise lines would not be on our matrix. Some may share certain attributes with the mass market lines but we do not see them as comparable given our preferences.

We just went on a Regent B2B to New England/Canada and loved it.

I found it comparable to Crystal with the exception of the cabins which are larger on Regent. Also thought the food was better on Crystal overall. However, Regent food was exceptional in one of the specialty restaurants and some of the nights in the main dining room.

For the value, Regent includes all excursions except some that people may have to pay for if they chose to go. But most are included. Crystal does not offer that. Crystal is cheaper overall because excursions, hotel and airfare are not included.

We have not been on HAL in years but are going next Spring.

Have also been on Celebrity, Azamara, Royal Caribbean, NCL (years ago).

Would like to try Seabourn but do not like the 7:30 dining times.

Thank you for comparing premium cruise lines. It just doesn't make sense to compare any premium cruise line with any main stream cruise line.

I would rather go on more cruises on a main stream cruise line than a few cruises on a premium line.

For those of you who can afford to do as many cruises as you want on a premium line, my hats off to you.

Same here. We are fairly selective on ship and can usually hit all of our must haves and many like to haves on the mass market line up. Especially since we prefer port intensive cruises of 20 days or so max.

We often do late booking cruises. We find that there are much more attractive offers on the mass market lines and of course more of them to choose from than the premium/luxury segment.

We keep our eyes peeled on the premium and luxury lines just in case something hits the radar screen.

Using an online cruise search engine I came up with the following entry prices for a 7 day Caribbean cruise - RT from a Florida port:

Crystal Serenity; $11,780

HAL: $549

Oceania: $2,149

Regent: $4,049

NB: HAL Neptune - $2,229

$1,600 a day - Crystal entry

$318 a day - HAL Neptune

$78 a day - HAL entry

$578 a day - Regent entry

$307 a day - Oceania entry

Edited by OlsSalt

The description of the Prinsendam was either hopelessly out of date, or incorrect in the first place. If the descriptions of the other ships have similar errors, they can't be counted on for basing a decision on whether or not to cruise.

The Berlitz numbers I gave were from the 2016 edition and the Prinsendam score has definitely dropped over the years. All numbers were accurate to the best of my writing ability.

A single random number is meangless whether I am researching what TV to buy or what cruise to take. However Berlitz and consumer reports allow for intelligent comparisons across an industry.

Edited by sammiedawg

Price comparisons for a 7 day Caribbean RT - Florida

$318 a day - HAL Neptune

$78 a day - HAL entry

$1,499 -entry price - Prinsendam, but for a 16 day Caribbean RT from Florida - $94 a day

Edited by OlsSalt

$318 a day - HAL Neptune

$78 a day - HAL entry

jan 3 seven days carib on crystal serenity is priced from $2140 ocean view room

jan 3 seven days carib on crystal serenity is priced from $2140 ocean view room

Update; Crystal Serenity - $307 per day for ocean view cabin

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/category.php?ship=Crystal%20Serenity&cat=Oceanview

HAL Neptune Suite: $318 a day

http://www.cruisecritic.com/eurodam-deck-plans/dp/neptune-suite-with-verandah-sa/cc/

Edited by OlsSalt

The Berlitz numbers I gave were from the 2016 edition and the Prinsendam score has definitely dropped over the years. All numbers were accurate to the best of my writing ability.

I'm not sure what your reference to numbers has to do with my comments about the incorrect description of the Prinsendam, which you quoted.

My post had nothing to do with numbers.

I don't know about "most" people, but I do know that at least some of us aren't interested in rankings, or numbers, when we like a ship. We base it on such things as size of ship, décor, service levels, food, entertainment, and whether or not a particular ship suits our needs., among other things.

The highest ranking ship out there is just wrong for some people, while the lowest ranking is right for some. An accurate description of what's offered would be much more helpful, and the Berlitz description of the Prinsendam simply was not accurate.