A Leap from HAL to Crystal

PCruzer

Are there any HAL veterans who have also cruised on Crystal? I know that Crystal is a more upscale line. What did Crystal do better than HAL? Did you feel as comfortable on Crystal as on HAL? Is there anything that HAL did better than Crystal?

Are there any HAL veterans who have also cruised on Crystal? I know that Crystal is a more upscale line. What did Crystal do better than HAL? Did you feel as comfortable on Crystal as on HAL? Is there anything that HAL did better than Crystal?

Rafinmd cruises Crystal a lot. He can help but is cruising right now and I don't know if he will see this. If he doesn't post, I suggest you bump this later as I am sure he will give you some insight happily if he sees this thread.

He also does live threads on Crystal and has a blog which may be worth taking a look at ;)

Edited by kazu

Rafinmd cruises Crystal a lot. He can help but is cruising right now and I don't know if he will see this. If he doesn't post, I suggest you bump this later as I am sure he will give you some insight happily if he sees this thread.

He also does live threads on Crystal and has a blog which may be worth taking a look at ;)

Thanks so much!

I have done a dozen cruises on Crystal though it is ten + years ago.

Generally speaking crystal is just a cut above all the mainstream cruise companies in terms of food quality, presentation as well as service. There is little or no nickle dimeing on crystal as most everything is included in the higher fares.

I'd say overall the biggest difference is that the crystal entertainment and enrichment speakers are way better than most other cruise lines.

The crystal clientele is also generally a more well heeled group and i think bit younger than HAL.

I love crystal but the price is just too high for me to do my usual two or three cruises a year.... For me HAL is the closest of the mainstream lines to crystal due to smaller ship sizes and generally excellent service.

We leapt the other way - from Crystal to HAL, and never looked back. Hard to compare the two brands because they emphasize such different aspects. Crystal is more of a ship experience and HAL (for us) is more of a travel experience. Depends upon what you are looking for for the same price.

We like the interior public space and the cabins far better on HAL; but Crystal decor is tops. Very elegant, but it not really inviting. No real places to just sink into and very poor outdoor spaces. We found the under-used Palm Garden very tippy and not a comfortable place to spend much time. Their "library" was laughable - but now so is HAL's, except the much larger quiet, reading space lounge still remains on HAL ships.

Food wise we actually prefer HAL variety overall, but we don't cruise to eat. One can "indulge" on Crystal ships, but after a few days of over-eating slightly better than banquet food that one appeal gets very old. Eg, you could order "unlimited" caviar but it was such poor quality that once was enough. However, their Chinese Chicken Salad at the Grill was a winner (if one did not count the drench of their very good, calorie-rich dressing - yum)

HAL itineraries are far more interesting. But the real winner for us has always been the professional, warm and welcoming nature of the HAL staff. More genuine; less pretense.

Our bottom line was we get to cruise 2-3 times more with HAL than with Crystal and we don't need to pay extra for a few days of better ship decor. However, when the price is right we will and have done other Crystal cruises. But that is rare, nor is their all inclusive alcohol policy of any interest to us either. My feeling was for the same price to get Crystal's better decor for a few days, i would rather redecorate my own house.

I have not sailed Reagent, but they have more balconies and I think for the money you might get a better deal. Lots of small window cabins on Crystal with laughably small bathrooms and awkward layouts. Those are the cheap Crystal seats, which we compared our more generous HAL price experience with. I can't compare the higher cabin levels for Crystal but one had the sense things must have been happening elsewhere on a Crystal ship because there was not really much for those further down the food chain.

The interior atrium served as the central bar gathering spot. There was just no sense of being at sea - small windows in the dining room, no real promenade space for lounging and the outdoor "sun room" area faced inwards.

I have to differ about the Crystal enrichment lectures we found them uniformly shallow and poor. A waste of time. Can't remember the entertainment because that is a non-factor for us on any ship.

BTW: we were only on the Symphony. Other Crystal ships might offer a different onboard experience and layout.

Edited by OlsSalt

I'm amazed that the so-called luxury lines don't offer king beds, or if they do, it's at a pretty ridiculous price. Bed size is a deal breaker for me. I'm not going to pay a substantial premium over a Neptune Suite, and be less comfortable than at home.

Thank you to all for your opinions on Crystal vs. HAL. We are veteran HAL cruisers, so going to a new line is a difficult decision, but we are unhappy with the direction that HAL is going toward (larger ships, more passengers). We have not considered Oceania but will check them out, too.

We just returned from our second Crystal cruise, and once again enjoyed all that it offered. More service, excellent lunch buffet, movies, guest lecturers. We also enjoy HAL and are four star mariners. If we want to be pampered, we choose Crystal.

Interesting to read the different opinions on various lines - really shows just how personal a decision it is and how we can have very different views on the same things.

We loved Crystal - Couldn't fault anything and thought the entertainment was a cut above. We especially loved the opportunities to dance (which HAL sadly seems to be moving away from).

But, we really disliked Oceania - for us it was one and done. We found the food to be bland and the entertainment poor. It was good we were on a port intensive cruise or we would have been bored. And the lack of much dance time was a real drawback.

Like the OP, we are concerned with the directions HAL is going and are looking around at other lines. We did one Cunard cruise a while back and I think that might be what we try next.

There is so much to like about HAL and a great price point. But with the move away from dancing is a real drawback.

Food bland on Oceania? Where were you eating? Just spent 26 days on the Oceania Riviera. It was anything but bland. Their French specialty restaurant is some of the best food (on land) I've had! Coming from San Francisco that's saying something!

We have only had one Crystal Cruise. Symphony. We had an oceanview cabin. It was fine...nothing stands out about it. Reasonable size in comparison to others we have enjoyed. Perhaps slightly larger. Ship decor was to our taste. Not too dark.

It was wonderful. Food was top notch. Well above anything that we have ever had on HAL, Celebrity, or Princess. Bar service was top notch. Actually all services were good. Just as they are on HAL, Celebrity, and Princess.

Much better selection of imported cheeses, better fruit-not same old same old melons, desserts made with real ingredients (not artificial), and good/varied cuts of meat. Imaginative food. Not so much of the banquet and prepared foods dressed up with a little plate decoration to give the impression of a gourmet meal.

Very few announcements. No one constantly hawking bingo, $10 dollar store bargains, overpriced artwork, and spa services.

Alas, we don't cruise for the food. So the value is not there for us. But I have no doubt that when we decide to splurge on a cruise it will be a premium or luxury line vs. a higher category on a mass market. But like the others, Crystal could have changed in the last few years. Unlike the others, their fares seem to have kept up with inflation.

Edited by iancal

Two posters above mentioned they don't like the direction that HAL is going, towards larger ships. The entire cruise industry is heading in that direction.

We don't like that either, but HAL isn't there yet. HAL still has several small and medium size ships to choose from.

So for those of us, who cannot pay the premium prices of Crystal or Oceana, and don't want a mega-ship experience, HAL is the best choice. If HAL replaces all of their small and mid-size ships with mega-ships, then we will look elsewhere. This may happen someday, but it will take many years. I am confident HAL smaller ships will still be sailing for the rest of my cruising days.

Our Symphony ocean view cabin was much smaller than anything on a HAL ship, with very little drawer storage, rounded corners on the bed to make it look smaller, only room for a very small love-seat between the bed and the window.

The one closet had two bulky sliding doors that was awkwardly placed between the bathroom wall and the bed - only one person could access one side of it at a time obviously, and no easy access to its contents directly across the bathroom door.

Bathroom was very narrow that included a small shower, two salad bowl glass sinks that splashed water upwards if the spigot was not carefully turned on and a very cramped, corner access commode that I will let you use your imagination fill in the details about the necessary compromises when using it.

There was a loud industrial drone outside our window and a funky smell as the cabin was located near the industrial exhaust units of the ship on that deck. It was located on the promenade deck so you had to keep your curtains closed at night.

I told you we got the cheap seats on that Crystal cruise so this might be a unique experience. The itinerary was good - Singapore to Dubai so no complaints there at all. Only later did I realize what I could have gotten on a HAL ship in the same area for the same or lesser price: longer cruise and more ports.

The Symphony first level "verandah" cabin was the same poor cabin layout but at least included the outdoor deck.

The colors and the finishings of the cabin were much more deluxe than HAL. That is the one strong point. One visually feels much more pampered. Though the reading lamp was a mechanical curse from hell when one tried to turn it off. We even saw one yanked out of the wall in the stewards cart on one cruise.

On the Symphony one has to go up several cabin levels to get anything remotely as well laid or or as spacious as a HAL cabin.

Interesting to read the different opinions on various lines - really shows just how personal a decision it is and how we can have very different views on the same things.

We loved Crystal - Couldn't fault anything and thought the entertainment was a cut above. We especially loved the opportunities to dance (which HAL sadly seems to be moving away from).

But, we really disliked Oceania - for us it was one and done. We found the food to be bland and the entertainment poor. It was good we were on a port intensive cruise or we would have been bored. And the lack of much dance time was a real drawback.

Like the OP, we are concerned with the directions HAL is going and are looking around at other lines. We did one Cunard cruise a while back and I think that might be what we try next.

There is so much to like about HAL and a great price point. But with the move away from dancing is a real drawback.

Bolding is mine. While there were some things we liked about Oceania (the stateroom and it's layout) we found the food disappointing (other than Jacques) and with too many days at sea there were little activities of any kind planned. We are the same as you. One and done - at least, for a very long time.

Food bland on Oceania? Where were you eating? Just spent 26 days on the Oceania Riviera. It was anything but bland. Their French specialty restaurant is some of the best food (on land) I've had! Coming from San Francisco that's saying something!

I agree on Jacques. It was very good. I wouldn't call it the best but it is very good. As to the rest of our food on our cruise on the same ship (last fall) - the food was pretty blase. Probably because it came either cold or had sat under a heat lamp for far too long. Cruises can change from week to week certainly but our 14 day was not a good experience overall and we heard the same comments by a number of experienced O cruisers.

The baked items on Crystal were really poor. One of my favorite things about HAL are the variety of very well made fresh breads and sweet butter.

True story, I asked if they had "sweet butter" on Crystal because all they had at breakfast were those foil packets of salted butter. i was directed to some tubs on the breakfast buffet line where they had actually mixed butter with sugar! It was awful. So much for the personal service and superb food "Crystalizaton" experience.

Being nit-picky here - Crystal Symphony is a lovely ship decor wise and they do put a lot into fancy presentation and pretentious extras. It is a very different internal cruising experience from HAL, including the Prinsendam which is far more regular HAL than the more upscale intent of Crystal. Crystal and the other higher priced lines have their proper place in the cruise world, including being able to offer smaller ships - with prices that rightly reflect this very different type of premium experience.

Keep in mind, we travel to see ports and use our ship primarily as a bus to get us there. So we are happiest with the itineraries first, and it is a bonus for us to get the level of care and appreciation we always feel on HAL ships while they take us where we want to go.

However, that said the overblown descriptions of Crystal and the "Crystalization" experience may not be worth the extra costs, when all things are considered if you are down at the lower end of the Crystal scale and the ship again becomes nothing more than a little more gilded bus to get you from port to port.

Edited by OlsSalt

If HAL replaces all of their small and mid-size ships with mega-ships,

Define mega ships. HALs largest currently comes in at 99,000 tons - just a bit bigger than RCCLs Radiance class at 90,000 tons and those are distinctly mid-size to small in Royal's lineup. If HAL does not go larger than MS Koningsdam they will still be a small-ship (or mid-sized as they say) line. Let alone our first HAL cruise on Veendam which we thought at the time was huge. If HAL can resist going over 100,000 tons they will always compare closer to the luxury lines like Crystal but at better value point.

Our Symphony ocean view cabin was much smaller than anything on a HAL ship, with very little drawer storage, rounded corners on the bed to make it look smaller, only room for a very small love-seat between the bed and the window.

The one closet had two bulky sliding doors that was awkwardly placed between the bathroom wall and the bed - only one person could access one side of it at a time obviously, and no easy access to its contents directly across the bathroom door.

Bathroom was very narrow that included a small shower, two salad bowl glass sinks that splashed water upwards if the spigot was not carefully turned on and a very cramped, corner access commode that I will let you use your imagination fill in the details about the necessary compromises when using it.

There was a loud industrial drone outside our window and a funky smell as the cabin was located near the industrial exhaust units of the ship on that deck. It was located on the promenade deck so you had to keep your curtains closed at night.

I told you we got the cheap seats on that Crystal cruise so this might be a unique experience. The itinerary was good - Singapore to Dubai so no complaints there at all. Only later did I realize what I could have gotten on a HAL ship in the same area for the same or lesser price: longer cruise and more ports.

The Symphony first level "verandah" cabin was the same poor cabin layout but at least included the outdoor deck.

The colors and the finishings of the cabin were much more deluxe than HAL. That is the one strong point. One visually feels much more pampered. Though the reading lamp was a mechanical curse from hell when one tried to turn it off. We even saw one yanked out of the wall in the stewards cart on one cruise.

On the Symphony one has to go up several cabin levels to get anything remotely as well laid or or as spacious as a HAL cabin.

Ocean view rooms on the symphony are 202 s.f. which is about the same size as average ocean view on HAL. Balcony symphony rooms are 246 sf including balcony....again about the same size as HAL.

Every cruiser is different and a ship that's right for one person may not be right for another. My first choice in cruises is Crystal hands down and that remains true as I try another luxury line.

Some of the things I like about Crystal are superb personal service, excellent dining, fantastic enrichment programs, and very well run shore excursions, along with being all inclusive.

There are things I prefer about HAL but they are significantly outweighed by the things I like about Crystal.

I was planning to do a comparison of HAL, Crystal, Seabourn, and Cunard at the end of my voyage which will be all too soon.

The only opinion that really matters is your own. My advice would be to give them a try if you think you could be interested. Do not leap, stick your toe in the water. I would suggest starting with a cruise in the 10-12 day range that has at least a couple of sea days and decide for yourself.

I'll also suggest you have a look at this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2272970&page=4

Roy

Ocean view rooms on the symphony are 202 s.f. which is about the same size as average ocean view on HAL. Balcony symphony rooms are 246 sf including balcony....again about the same size as HAL.

I guess we were in a much larger Ocean View on the Rotterdam than what we had on Crystal Symphony - the Rotterdam had a full sofa, more closets, larger desk-vanity, much larger bath, more drawers and no rounded corner beds. Maybe Crystal cabins are slightly wider to make up their square footage, because they simply do not come close to a HAL ocean view layout in length and extra cabin amenities.

Define mega ships. HALs largest currently comes in at 99,000 tons - just a bit bigger than RCCLs Radiance class at 90,000 tons and those are distinctly mid-size to small in Royal's lineup. If HAL does not go larger than MS Koningsdam they will still be a small-ship (or mid-sized as they say) line. Let alone our first HAL cruise on Veendam which we thought at the time was huge. If HAL can resist going over 100,000 tons they will always compare closer to the luxury lines like Crystal but at better value point.

I consider the Koningsdam a mega-ship, but certainly smaller than most mega-ships. In tons, I guess I would consider anything over 95,000 a mega-ship. In passenger capacity, I would consider any ship with a capacity of 2,400 or more passengers to be a mega-ship. Ships like RCI's Quantum and Oasis class, which have a passenger capacity of over 4,000 and 5,000 respectively, I would refer to as super mega ships.

These are my own interpretations that work for me, others will use completely different terminology.

I guess we were in a much larger Ocean View on the Rotterdam than what we had on Crystal Symphony - the Rotterdam had a full sofa, more closets, larger desk-vanity, much larger bath, more drawers and no rounded corner beds. Maybe Crystal cabins are slightly wider to make up their square footage, because they simply do not come close to a HAL ocean view layout in length and extra cabin amenities.

In my experience, and the rooms I have been in, the S & R ships have cabins that are larger and more generous than the other ships. YMMV of course, but our verandah room we had on the old N Amsterdam was roomy enough to accommodate 4 -6 people for get togethers. The S cabins on those ships have much larger verandahs without question. :)