Accepted a Move Over Offer from Princess

MargoK

Got a downgrade offer today... down from Balcony to Oceanview and 50% of fare back as refundable OBC. As it's a 14 day cruise I'm really torn!

How different is the experience from balcony to oceanview? (I'm a newbie to cruising)

My thinking exactly... i can always splurge on the sanctuary if i need time out etc. Plus more drinks lol

We often book an inside cabin on Princess and then spend some of the savings on the Sanctuary. We feel we get more value out of the money we spend on the Sanctuary than we would having a balcony cabin. We have had balcony cabins and, although we enjoy being able to go out on the balcony when we choose, we find we spend more time out and about the ship and don't actually spend that much time on our balcony. Plus the Sanctuary sunloungers are far more comfortable than the balcony furniture. Also the Sanctuary stewards look after you very, very well.

We often book an inside cabin on Princess and then spend some of the savings on the Sanctuary. We feel we get more value out of the money we spend on the Sanctuary than we would having a balcony cabin. We have had balcony cabins and, although we enjoy being able to go out on the balcony when we choose, we find we spend more time out and about the ship and don't actually spend that much time on our balcony. Plus the Sanctuary sunloungers are far more comfortable than the balcony furniture. Also the Sanctuary stewards look after you very, very well.

Do you book a sunlounger for the entire cruise in the Sanctuary? Or just wing it?

Well believe it or not we have accepted a great 'Move Over Offer'. Accepted because we have done this cruise before on the Golden Princess and were boarding from our home port.

Great offer, and I believe they are frantically trying to finalise the offers and there seems to have been a lot offered and accepted!

• Cruise fare as refundable onboard credit
  • Free cruise up to 14 days anywhere in the world
  • Upgraded Premium Cabin to Club Class Mini Suite
  • 2 x Speciality Dinners
  • $$$ for incidental expenses

Now what to decide on! :D:eek::D

Hi Margot,

I was on that cruise from Melbourne. I heard about the offer from a passenger but she only knew about the refundable cruise fare and a free cruise. Another passenger was also offered the same offer but declined it. I would have jumped at that offer.

As we ended up missing Wellington, cruising the sounds and Milford Sound due to the weather all passengers received a letter on the last day offering us 20% credit of the amount we paid for the cruise for a future cruise.

Kim

Do you book a sunlounger for the entire cruise in the Sanctuary? Or just wing it?

We book a sunlounger for the whole cruise because we love being up there all the time. Often they will just charge you for the days or half days you are there at $40/$20 and that often works out cheaper than paying $30 per day flat rate, especially if there are quite a few port days. Also we have our favourite spots in the Sanctuary.

However on the Aussie-based cruises the Sanctuary is quite quiet so you could just wing it if you aren't sure. Sun Princess doesn't have a big Sanctuary though.

We book a sunlounger for the whole cruise because we love being up there all the time. Often they will just charge you for the days or half days you are there at $40/$20 and that often works out cheaper than paying $30 per day flat rate, especially if there are quite a few port days. Also we have our favourite spots in the Sanctuary.

However on the Aussie-based cruises the Sanctuary is quite quiet so you could just wing it if you aren't sure. Sun Princess doesn't have a big Sanctuary though.

Good to know on Aussie-based cruises the Sanctuary isn't too busy - I may just wing it then. Thanks for the tip! :)

Good to know on Aussie-based cruises the Sanctuary isn't too busy - I may just wing it then. Thanks for the tip! :)

Just be aware that the pool in the Sanctuary on Sun Princess is just a small splash pool - maximum 25cms deep. However you can get wet all over in it with a bit of effort - I usually do. :D

I think it's a worthwhile deal.

Depends on your preference, but as a single I'd suspect you're more keen to mingle than hang in your cabin. If youre the kind to spend a lot in your cabin it could be worthwhile to stay.

Depending on itinerary a balcony can be great to get a better view, but with Pacific cruises, you can go anywhere on the ship for similar so it doesn't matter so much.

Travelling on Princess (Sun Princess). I decided to take the offer - as a solo-traveller I did pay quite a bit for the balcony so getting some $$ back works for me. Should be interesting!

Hi Ruby

Let me know what the Oceanview cabin is like on the Sunday Princess as we have one booked for a 12 day cruise in June to the islands. First trip to the islands in 20 years.

Hi Ruby

Let me know what the Oceanview cabin is like on the Sunday Princess as we have one booked for a 12 day cruise in June to the islands. First trip to the islands in 20 years.

Will this be your first visit to the islands in twenty years? Have you done land holidays to the islands in the meantime, seeing you are so close? Cook Islands is my favourite, especially Atutaki.

I dream of cruising the South Pacific islands, off the beaten track, at a slower pace.

Will this be your first visit to the islands in twenty years? Have you done land holidays to the islands in the meantime, seeing you are so close? Cook Islands is my favourite, especially Atutaki.

I dream of cruising the South Pacific islands, off the beaten track, at a slower pace.

Sounds like you're a starter for Aranui 5 ..:):)

MMDown Under, we have never taken a land holiday to the islands. :eek:

But to be honest the cruise will be the destination more so than the ports we visit. Might sound terrible but we have not really had a fascination with the islands and being in a powerchair things are not so easily accessible I would guess.

We needed to get away for two weeks while out ensuite bathroom is being revamped and this cruise was the best and cheapest option. :D

MMDown Under, we have never taken a land holiday to the islands. :eek:

But to be honest the cruise will be the destination more so than the ports we visit. Might sound terrible but we have not really had a fascination with the islands and being in a powerchair things are not so easily accessible I would guess.

We needed to get away for two weeks while out ensuite bathroom is being revamped and this cruise was the best and cheapest option. :D

Good idea to take a cruise whilst your bathroom ensuite gets renovated.

I have had a fascination with the south pacific islands and islanders as long as I can remember. Maybe it was from all the books I read as a child. In addition, their music is food for the soul!

In addition, their music is food for the soul!

And when you taste their home cooked meals you realise what 'food for the soul' actually means - it is so fresh and is prepared and cooked with love as the villagers will also be eating the same food - oh my my mouth is salivating.

Then they sing to you while you eat.

Ok I need to go back to the South Pacific - NOW :D