AQ is not what used to be

ISABELLA

Sounds like BLU will be very good by then, esp on Refkection which has a bigger BLU area. .Several posts say suite guests won't be dining there...so less crowded & other posts (rumors,) say some menu changes as well.

Hope they reduce game bird....

Isabella, we fully concur. Just off the Eclipse (last week) which was our 6th cruise (most of them 14 day cruises) in Aqua. Blu has disappointed us on our last 2 cruises with the quality and selection of the cuisine. And how they expect 2 wine stewards to handle a full Blu...is beyond me (and also beyond the wine stewards). Our next Celebrity cruise will be 21 days on the Reflection....but it will not be in Aqua :(. At this point the only way they would entice me back to Blu is to charge less for Aqua then a regular cabin.

Hank

So agree with you. Current prices for AQ are insane. Hopefully X realize at some point that they can fool some of us some of the time, but not all of us all the time.

I was thinking the same thing! Taking my first cruise ever on Reflection in April and getting a little nervous now..

b - No need to be nervous, the posts here are but a small sampling of passengers who sail on X and even fewer who sail in Aqua.

Go, enjoy and report back how you like it and the service received. Methinks you will be delightfully surprized as are many who sail and post first time experience sailing X.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

With a few exceptions, the analysis of many posters confirms the downward trend in the product offering and services on Celebrity in the past years.

Companies who engineer product reduction hope that their current customers have considerable tolerance for reduced value for money and keep on booking, purchasing.

My cruise agent in Toronto confirms many of their former patrons of Celebrity are now booked on Oceania - reason - product reduction on Celebrity. Further, it is that these former customers, as well as myself, Do Not Trust Celebrity to provide a consistently excellent product.

Each consumer has to decide how much bull from a cruise line, restaurant etc they will put up with before they stop their patronage.

Our household stopped patronage of Celebrity last year when the breakfast room tray had a disgusting edible oil coffee creamer in stead of real cream. It can be the small things that end a long term (+ 20 year) relationship.

ABoatNerd

Well... I WAS looking forward to our first cruise in an AQ cabin.

Now, not so much...

Ron_L: As hulamoon mentioned, you may very well enjoy AQ since it is your first time.

My husband and I went on our first Celebrity cruise in October, on the Summit. We booked AQ. I can't compare my AQ experiences the same as those who have sailed AQ more.

For us, having no previous experience in AQ was a good thing. We loved it, and we've booked another AQ for 2018, on the Eclipse.

That said, we HAVE had experience with luxury cruising. Our last cruise was on Crystal, which we also loved, but we liked Celebrity better for a few reasons:

-I have food intolerances, and I felt that Celebrity handled my needs even better than Crystal. Because Blu is a smaller, more intimate dining area, I felt as though everyone knew me. They remembered my needs and paid more attention to them. We had a delightful Sommelier who was charming and quite a character--fun.

Unfortunately, we didn't eat dinner in Blu as much as I might have liked. The couple we traveled with preferred the MDR (even though they were suite class). However, I asked to see the menus for the next day, and if there were something on the Blu menu that I wanted, I'd request it, and vice-versa. Blu breakfasts are the best. How I wish Blu also served lunch.

-I'm one of those crazy people who loves the overhang over the balcony. If it is raining or if there is a glaring sun, we can still use the balcony and be comfortable. I enjoy the shade, and aside from not being able to see way up into the sky, I didn't feel it interfered with my view. (We were sure to request a room with no obstruction.)

-While I didn't use it much, I enjoyed Persian Gardens, and I liked knowing that it was available to me whenever I wanted to go.

Being on the Summit, we didn't have a relaxation room like we'll have on the Eclipse. Maybe that was a good thing. There are heated seats in the Summit relaxation area, but it is circular, sectional seating and not individual seats. Also, there are no windows. I never had a problem finding a seat, and that's probably why! From what I'm reading, that may be a problem on the Eclipse.

-We had the premium drink package, so I could get any water I wanted and take it back to the room (water is also available in the classic package, just not the premium stuff). I didn't mind not having the water replenished after the first day.

-AQ aside, we also found the staff and our fellow cruisers to be warmer and friendlier.

So, from one newbie AQ cruiser to another, you might love it! I hope so.

Edited by TravelKnitter

Did one in Sept for the Pacific Coastal, No Bottle of anything in our stateroom per website. Had to argue with the room attendant and he finally brought one (whish I didn't). Aqua was bad for breakfast. I am diabetic and asked for no sugar syrup and was given the real thing. Wife wanted another smoothie and the waitress just blew us off. Went to the Buffet and got what I wanted and needed. Dinner was good. Our room attendant would knock once and then walk in. I finally had to tell him not to come back (yes we had the dnd sign out). Canapes only came 4 times on a 12 night cruise. Luckily for us or TA stood up and got Celebrity to give us a $500 credit for a future cruise. In my opinion the whole industry is cutting all services.

We have sailed in AQ 6 times. First experience was excellent. Each time a little less until the last one, when it was mediocre at best. I will also add the cutbacks are also evident in quality in the MDR and OV buffet. I have said this before and been slammed, but will say it again......something has to cover the cost of the free drink packages, which are here to stay to fill the ships.

Don't know if you read the Cruise Critic news lately. Celebrity is now going to offer Specialty Dining meal packages for the duration of a cruise no matter how many nights. The more nights you buy for, the less the cost per night. With the current cost of AQ, it might be more cost effective to book a regular balcony cabin and purchase the meal package for the duration of the cruise.

b - No need to be nervous, the posts here are but a small sampling of passengers who sail on X and even fewer who sail in Aqua.

Go, enjoy and report back how you like it and the service received. Methinks you will be delightfully surprized as are many who sail and post first time experience sailing X.

bon voyage

Will do! I am so excited, I cant wait!

With a few exceptions, the analysis of many posters confirms the downward trend in the product offering and services on Celebrity in the past years.

Companies who engineer product reduction hope that their current customers have considerable tolerance for reduced value for money and keep on booking, purchasing.

My cruise agent in Toronto confirms many of their former patrons of Celebrity are now booked on Oceania - reason - product reduction on Celebrity. Further, it is that these former customers, as well as myself, Do Not Trust Celebrity to provide a consistently excellent product.

Each consumer has to decide how much bull from a cruise line, restaurant etc they will put up with before they stop their patronage.

Our household stopped patronage of Celebrity last year when the breakfast room tray had a disgusting edible oil coffee creamer in stead of real cream. It can be the small things that end a long term (+ 20 year) relationship.

ABoatNerd

It doesn't appear that you have many good experiences, at all. How sad.

Hope 2017 is better.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=50113600#post50113600

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51263942#post51263942

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46281900#post46281900

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=27073042#post27073042

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=16264430#post16264430

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=1683897#post1683897

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=1681797#post1681797

Edited by xmarksx

I have to agree with most of the posters here, we're not in AQ for our New Zealand cruise next year, it's just no longer worth the price difference... we'll probably just buy one of the new dinner packages, & two persian garden passes... I've eaten enough shredded meat in Blu to last me for a while :)

I'll miss the breakfasts in blu, but honestly I'm fine with the elite breakfast, less crowded & a faster experience.

Ron L, I would just go with an open mind and not focus on the negative comments here. There are a lot of people who enjoy AQ as do I. That is why they charge a premium. These boards are for people to express their opinions which may not represent those of the masses. Will there be issues? Quite possibly. If you look for them, you will find them. You will also find two people in the same class on the same cruise who will have opinions 180 degrees apart. So, don't focus on the negativity and look at the positives. Then you will enjoy your cruise.

[With the current cost of AQ, it might be more cost effective to book a regular balcony cabin and purchase the meal package for the duration of the cruise.

That is exactly what we are planning to do.....I am traveling SOLO and paying double for AQ doesn't not make any sense anymore. To dine in specialty restaurants every night will cost me less than price difference between regular balcony and AQ.

Ron L, I would just go with an open mind and not focus on the negative comments here. There are a lot of people who enjoy AQ as do I. That is why they charge a premium. These boards are for people to express their opinions which may not represent those of the masses. Will there be issues? Quite possibly. If you look for them, you will find them. You will also find two people in the same class on the same cruise who will have opinions 180 degrees apart. So, don't focus on the negativity and look at the positives. Then you will enjoy your cruise.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Yes, dining in BLU for me is a better experience that MDR. Yes, it should be at premium price, but it all comes down to how much more is worth paying for for getting lesser quality. Most dinners were very good and we enjoyed them, but to go to OV to have a dessert is not what the fine dining should be.

Don't know if you read the Cruise Critic news lately. Celebrity is now going to offer Specialty Dining meal packages for the duration of a cruise no matter how many nights. The more nights you buy for, the less the cost per night. With the current cost of AQ, it might be more cost effective to book a regular balcony cabin and purchase the meal package for the duration of the cruise.

That sounds interesting. Have you a link to the details re this new package?

Thanks

I have to agree with most of the posters here, we're not in AQ for our New Zealand cruise next year, it's just no longer worth the price difference... we'll probably just buy one of the new dinner packages, & two persian garden passes... I've eaten enough shredded meat in Blu to last me for a while :)

I'll miss the breakfasts in blu, but honestly I'm fine with the elite breakfast, less crowded & a faster experience.

Exactly what we have done for the next three booked cruises. Loved AQ the first time but gradually over the next four cruises got fed up with the same menus and the bigger price gap between balcony and AQ. The breakfasts in Blu are good but we do find we eat less at the Elite breakfast, so no bad thing !

Excellent post and I do agree with you! We have done the same by purchasing the dinner packages and Persian garden passes. I still see benefits in why people enjoy AQ class but we have moved on as Celebrity has diluted AQ cabins.

Nice assessment GHStudio, it is the missing amazing breakfast, but if the dining room is going to be open that makes it better. I do like the private dining room of Blu and in suites sometimes it makes no sense for the upgraded dining room price wise especially now since you must buy the specialty separate. With an 1A you can choose to eat in specialty or not and not worry about the uncharge. Do you mean 200 pp a week? I love everyones financial assessments on cabin categories!

I will say, especially for you Ron L, (I still remember your awesome review from the Summit a few years ago) you are probably going to love Aq the first time. If you like the PG find the times that work for you, or go to dinner late and be there when it is likely empty. The dining room can be very nice and an easy place to make friends. The waiters do want to make you happy and the food in September was pretty good and better than many. There were less game choices than years ago. You also will not be burdened with your memories of what it was and can appreciate what it is.

Thanks! I'll probably do a review of this cruise as well since it our first time on S class and first time in AQ. I'm sure we will enjoy it, especially since we have to prior experience to compare to.

Always an open mind! :D. One thing I know for sure... We will have a great cruise! We go for the overall experience, which in much more than a cabin class.

We did our first Aqua on the Constellation in October. We only did it because the price was the same as Concierge, when we booked it. And on M Class, I like the larger cabins. We did enjoy Blu, which we were quite concerned about due to the complaints of the decline I had read about. I wish we had tried it a few years ago, because it must have been really good then. We didn't feel that food quality was any better than the MDR; but they did have a few different items that didn't appeal to us. We were pleased that the food was quite tasty and that it wasn't so "healthy" that it didn't have much taste.

The smaller room and the service were a real pleasure. We would only book Blu again, if the price wasn't much more than a veranda on S Class or Concierge on M Class.