Debarkation question, Port Everglades

starvenger

Hi folks, first time poster here.

Going on the Harmony in August, but for the first time we are flying home (YYZ) out of FLL instead of MIA (which we did a couple of times off the Allure), and it's an 11am departure to boot.

Now we can use Express Departure and get to FLL with plenty of time to spare. My main concern is that there are 10 of us - 4 kids, one of whom will be 3 and one is my dad, who has a bad <name anything from the lower back on down>. So the prospect of carrying the luggage off with us doesn't sound great, but it's doable, and I think that despite all of this, it's my preferred choice.

What I'm asking you guys is if it makes more sense to go with the Regular Departure?

Because of our departure time and the fact that it's an international flight, my presumption is that we would have a low (possibly 1 digit) number for debarkation. But that's not guaranteed. It's tempting to do this since we don't have to lug our large bags, booster seats et al all the way through to the exit, but time does start to become a factor - even taking into account that the airport is 10 minutes away.

So... thoughts?

I feel 11 am is a perfectly acceptable flight time to not have to do (what I think you mean by) self-disembarkation where everyone carries their own luggage and the staff/crew do not help. Ask your cabin steward for a low number and it shouldn't be a problem. You can get through customs and out to the taxi line (you may actually need 3 cabs at approximately $15.00 per cab).

Others may feel differently but this is my advice. :)

Depending on your airline, you may be able to take advantage of Luggage Valet, which gets your luggage brought to the airport and checked in. You put it outside your stateroom the last night of the cruise and the next time you see it is at your final destination airport.

Luggage Valet info is attached to this post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51704295&postcount=178

Edited by clarea

We just got off Harmony and had the exact same departure time for our flight to Canada. Around day 3 we got slips in our cabin to indicate when we wants to disembark based on our flight. We chose the earliest slot that didn't require us to carry our luggage. We ended up getting number 8, and we were at the airport by 845 am.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got off Harmony and had the exact same departure time for our flight to Canada. Around day 3 we got slips in our cabin to indicate when we wants to disembark based on our flight. We chose the earliest slot that didn't require us to carry our luggage. We ended up getting number 8, and we were at the airport by 845 am.

Awesome. did you take WestJet?

I don't know what transportation plans you have for getting to the airport, but I recommend that you contact QLS Transportation: http://qualitylimoservice.com

In March, we stayed one night in Miami post-cruise and when looking at options for getting to FLL the following day, someone on CC suggested I try them. Although they don't have a Miami hotel pickup service, they were very accommodating and arranged to have one of their Port of Miami to FLL shuttles swing by and pick us up.

With the size of your group, you might have enough to book a van for yourselves.

I don't know what transportation plans you have for getting to the airport, but I recommend that you contact QLS Transportation: http://qualitylimoservice.com

In March, we stayed one night in Miami post-cruise and when looking at options for getting to FLL the following day, someone on CC suggested I try them. Although they don't have a Miami hotel pickup service, they were very accommodating and arranged to have one of their Port of Miami to FLL shuttles swing by and pick us up.

With the size of your group, you might have enough to book a van for yourselves.

Thanks for the tip. We certainly have enough people. In fact, we rented a van/shuttle on one of our previous trips on the Allure from Port Everglades to MIA. So it's definitely on my checklist.

To bad WestJet doesn't participate in Luggage Express. But that departure time is excellent out of FLL.

We just flew out of there in November and have done it a few times before. FLL is a great airport and hopefully you have TSA pre-check. We were through security in less than 10 minutes.

I would book my own transport. We used the ship shuttle and sat for 45 min waiting for the bus to fill up. We were the first two on that bus as we missed the prior one by seconds.

I have used limos.com several times to get quotes and they are always excellent.

I plan to use them in October for our Oasis cruise.

Thanks for the tip. We certainly have enough people. In fact, we rented a van/shuttle on one of our previous trips on the Allure from Port Everglades to MIA. So it's definitely on my checklist.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that to help speed disembarkation, make sure that you look into getting Mobile Passport. We disembarked last month about two weeks after they implemented it at Port Everglades and we breezed through with absolutely no delay. We also have NEXUS, which means we have TSA Pre✓ for speedy processing at FLL.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that to help speed disembarkation, make sure that you look into getting Mobile Passport. We disembarked last month about two weeks after they implemented it at Port Everglades and we breezed through with absolutely no delay. We also have NEXUS, which means we have TSA Pre✓ for speedy processing at FLL.

I actually have NEXUS, as do my parents, but am working on applying for the wife and kids. My brother... well, not to sound cold, but that's on him to get done.

I have used limos.com several times to get quotes and they are always excellent.

I plan to use them in October for our Oasis cruise.

Thanks for the tip. I'd check out some regional car services too. Since they are used to servicing folks that cruise with the Mouse, they are usually willing to make one stop so you can stock up on wine. And other stuff you may have forgotten/chose not to pack.

No we flew Air canada rouge, who were a bit of a pain.

I don't know what it is about Rouge, but they always seem to be so much worse than Air Canada proper. It's like they're taking cues from United on how to suck.

(full disclosure: I used to work at Continental up until a few years before the merger)

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that to help speed disembarkation, make sure that you look into getting Mobile Passport.

No one in the line this morning at terminal 25 - kinda weird that they don't even ask any questions. Just put your QR code to the reader and out you walk.

No one in the line this morning at terminal 25 - kinda weird that they don't even ask any questions. Just put your QR code to the reader and out you walk.

Makes me wonder if we should even mention it on CC. Once others catch on, there will be lines. Shhhhhhh. :)

No we flew Air canada rouge, who were a bit of a pain.

I don't know what it is about Rouge, but they always seem to be so much worse than Air Canada proper. It's like they're taking cues from United on how to suck.

I'm sorry to hear that your experiences with Rouge were so negative :(

DW and I had a great experience with Rouge in November last year when we flew from YYZ to MCO for our anniversary cruise. No problems with check-in or luggage, and while on board both flights, the crew treated us very well. Free drinks on both flights to help us celebrate our anniversary, and they even made an embarrassing public announcement to congratulate us both times :rolleyes::D

Conversely, the last two round-trips I flew with Air Canada (not Rouge) it was for business travel, and I had pretty bad service both times. Between the two trips, I experienced rude check-in staff, no notification of flight delays (I understand they happen, but at least tell people), very limited onboard food options for purchase, a broken entertainment system, etc.

It's all anecdotal of course, I just thought I'd relay my experience in contrast.

We used the mobile passport and still had to show our passports when we were on the Allure last month.

Used the walk off with luggae method so you don't get a number to debark. Were through security with pre check TSA and at the gate at 7:20am.

Bill

We used the mobile passport and still had to show our passports when we were on the Allure last month.

That's what I was expecting.

BTW, for anyone using MP, be patient. It took about 20 seconds for the system to process each QR code on the app.

Mobile Passport App - you have to present your passport.

If you have them open to the picture page, hold them up next to your face...you don't have to hand them over.

You do not need to fill out a declaration form

Edited by foflocruiser

Hi folks, first time poster here.

Going on the Harmony in August, but for the first time we are flying home (YYZ) out of FLL instead of MIA (which we did a couple of times off the Allure), and it's an 11am departure to boot.

So... thoughts?

I live in Fort Lauderdale and so am very familiar with FLL and the so-called "cruise ship days."

Whenever we cruise in and out of Port Everglades (and elsewhere for that matter) we inevitably disembark with our own rolling luggage and ALL of it rolls and we never have more than we can handle.

Since you have an 11AM departure there shouldn't be many issues but I always recommend getting to the airport as soon as possible, especially on one of those "cruise ship days."

Your departure time also means you won't have to worry about any airline restrictions as to the timing of baggage check in, either (you do know that airlines here often restrict that, correct?).